MMO Glitches / Sploits

vGrade

Potato del Grande
In WOW BC era for about a day and a half there was a key A'dal gave you for a quest you could turn around and vendor then ask him for another. I sat in front of A'dal for hours making somewhere over 30k gold. I bought out everything worth anything in the AH and moved it twice over 2 different accounts. Entire guilds were banned on some servers and I was able to dodge that. I waited a few days for everything to cool down then tossed it back in an empty AH for a larger amount. When all was said and done I had close to 50k

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Stacking growth buffs on my Tauren in classic WoW was my kinda time wasting fun time.

Good wholesome fun.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
lets see if anyone is watching this thread.

In EQ there is a bard song gives your group a 23% chance to crit heals that has been broken for years but was recently fixed. It now give a 100% heal crit rate because the songs is being modded by bard instrument focuses.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The Secret World thread reminded me that when the game first came out AR had an ability "Reap and Sew" that made everyone's attacks heal their focus target for 10ish seconds. Only it was bugged and would last the entire instance. You'd use it at the beginning, focus target the tank, then burn everything down with 4 dps while tank was invincible outside of 1 shot mechanics

Tol_sl

shitlord
Yeah, iirc warlock engineers could shock the succu back to life after the sac.
Another great use for it was with voidwalker in pvp. You ended up with insane mitigation/regen with both buffs on, and then if you used the insta-voidwalker summon trinket, you could basically have 2 free bubble shields at the very end. I remember taking on 2-4 people at a time and lasting longer than a paladin or warrior. It ended up being like 40% extra mitigation and 10% hp regen every few seconds.

Kantern

Silver Knight of the Realm
It was BBZ on Laughing Skull. It very well could have been us, we certainly farmed the hell out of them.
Kanak, I was in BBZ also! Desina / Rogue. Only during classic though.

Surprised you don't remember this one, I can't remember who found it, maybe Solmyr? Just remember it was a shaman.

There use to be items that gave a range of spellpower. When you put it on it gave you + so much, when you took it off it did not remove the same amount. If you did it over and over again you could get your spell power to some crazy number.

Also in AO, I use to sell a service on my low level engineer / MP partner. It was in some temple I can't remember the name of, but I could engineer warp people in for loot. There was a level cap on the dungeon and high level players wanted items from there. I would camp bosses, charge per attempt, and when it dropped port them in so they could loot before they got kicked out. It was actually allowed. The part that wasn't is if I summoned someone inside and they D/Ced on purpose, they would be able to stay in the zone without a time limit and face roll everything. Got me suspended / killed my business. :<

Kantern

Just remembered another one from WoW 1.0.

It was possible via a macro to backstab and ambush with a sword in mainhand. Ambush was pretty much instant kill in PVP. Was very very noticeable and dangerous to do.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anarchy Online

Temple of Three Winds for those shoulder pads that added +chem damage on all attacks.

Shoulers of the Barrow something.

Fuck. I love/hate that game so much. I would absolutely play it again if I had people to play with.

Nulolan

N00b
AO was always one of my favorite MMO's for some reason could never talk any of my online bud's into getting into it with me. I'd play as well if I had a group to play with. Hell, might be worth making a thread and seeing if anyone else has any interest last I checked its f2p and you can buy the expansions I think.

As far as glitches/sploits, most of mine are from EQ and I'm sure they have been covered. Standing on freeport walls/akanon cubby to nuke guards so they can't get to you for xp was one I used to level up way back when with my enchanter. But I have to say most insane leveling sploit I used, was when the monster missions came out using an MQ2 script to run them you could level up friends from anywhere, leveled and maxed AAs of several toons while they were just chilling in the guild hall lol.

symbelmyne_sl

shitlord
Tons of EQ exploits but a couple that were a bit more unique/possibly not known about:

This next one was a lot more known, since a lot of people were using it when it was a thing. I also did this on The Sleeper so it's circa 2007, however I have no idea how long this exploit was in the game. I used it for months on The Sleeper and don't remember it every getting fixed while I was playing. This exploit was pet pulling, and the way it worked was this: when an NPC is aggroed it generally keeps firing off a "shout for help" ability which is what causes passive mobs to aggro on you. However, if a pet conned green TO the mob it attacked (and got initial aggro), the NPC would never shout for help at all while that pet was still alive.

The Sleeper event in Sleeper's Tomb was also really broken back then. Our guild did the standard thing of leaving 1 warder up so we didn't trigger the event and nerf the zone. When we were done with Sleeper's Tomb we killed all 4 warders to experience the event, Kerafyrm spawned and murdered us all as expected. However, a friend of mine ventured back into the zone about a month later and discovered that the warders were still there. From this point on a group of us would secretly farm the warders and sell shit like gnome illusion masks and scepters of destruction for ludicrous amounts of plat. We eventually got so rich there was no point in farming the stuff anymore.
Insidious Visions
smile.png
F*** Insidious - YouTube

Baghwan

Lord Nagafen Raider
One stupid exploit I remember abusing was spamming Print Screen in WAR, it would lock up your screen and teleport you up a bit while you jumped at the same time, resulting in additional jump height, you could easily glitch up hills and walls, sure there were a metric fuck ton more infamous exploits in WAR tho.

Also the much loved wall walking in WoW

Kantern

Anarchy Online

Temple of Three Winds for those shoulder pads that added +chem damage on all attacks.

Shoulers of the Barrow something.

Fuck. I love/hate that game so much. I would absolutely play it again if I had people to play with.
Also the morphing memory was good early on! And a lot of people just paid me to camp them the back armor from the giant robo dog. :p

Nulolan, I had the same issue. I loved the hell out of the game and the people I played with. Avatar's Reloaded! I never could get any of my CS / WOW / anyone friends to give it a chance.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
highkeep had and still has a lot of bugs. there used to be a safe spot right over the gobbo area, we used to have a bard go afk there singing while we pulled mobs over and killed it with no consequnces. i didnt even know what we were doing was an exploit. those gobbos are also the only mobs i know that would wear the armor they dropped. they dropped broze plate and if you saw a gobbo with orangish legs arms or belly you killed it first.

oh this from pop

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How did you manage to get RZ to the zone line? I would think that a bit more difficult than our strat of charming a dozen mobs in Arena while a bard ran in circles kiting the rest. The charm DPS just mowed RZ down quick.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Also in AO, I use to sell a service on my low level engineer / MP partner. It was in some temple I can't remember the name of, but I could engineer warp people in for loot. There was a level cap on the dungeon and high level players wanted items from there. I would camp bosses, charge per attempt, and when it dropped port them in so they could loot before they got kicked out. It was actually allowed. The part that wasn't is if I summoned someone inside and they D/Ced on purpose, they would be able to stay in the zone without a time limit and face roll everything. Got me suspended / killed my business. :<
Temple of Three Winds

rrr_img_69328.jpg

rrr_img_69329.jpg

Jais

Trakanon Raider
In the Akanon Zoo, there's a corner by the tree where you can cast on the tiger and he can't get to you. Good till like level 6, go forth and sploit!

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
How did you manage to get RZ to the zone line? I would think that a bit more difficult than our strat of charming a dozen mobs in Arena while a bard ran in circles kiting the rest. The charm DPS just mowed RZ down quick.
that was rz encounter 1.0. i dunno how rz was pulled to zone. i just know koryo was a monk genius

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
In most cases, you just needed to break LOS, still have aggro, and have some sort of effect (or residue from an effect, see Fear et al) on the mob. It would warp to you, or in many cases if you managed to FD or even fake FD before the mob aggroed, it would jog past other mobs. CotH with some sort of DoT effect worked wonders for those types of pulls. It would wipe your aggro, but then the dot would re-aggro you and force the mob to warp to you. SK/Monk tricks for the win.

This was how many folks pulled Dain to an easier area than the throne room.