MMORPGS, what do you miss?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Good itemization. You know, where items are unique looking and rare. The first year or two of Everquest where you could literally tell who was a badass just based on what gear they were wearing.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Mostly the grand scale social interaction. I feel the "massive" has been taken out from under MMOs for a long time. I loved raiding in WoW with 40 people. I loved zerging in DAOC with literally hundreds. Anymore the focus is now on groups no more than 10 people doing raid content. Some argue that is a good step but it is always something I've missed and it seemed to die out with WoW's first expansion.

iannis

Musty Nester
Mostly I miss other players that don't suck and coherent content geared to groups of those players.

I don't want to play "Game: The Mathening", but that's pretty much all they have been lately.

xasiklas

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think I miss all the free time that I used to have. I liked a lot of MMO's that were released after I graduated uni, but not being able to play 14 hours a day was not giving me the same feeling.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I don't miss anything. When I was heavily into MMOs I was a miserable social reject with no friends, no life, and no aspirations in life beyond reaching the next level in my fantasy world.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
I miss gaming before Thottbot. I never thought it was necessary to whip out an engineering calculator to decide which gear/weapon you wanted, but people did it.

Arakkis

N00b
Difficulty requiring skill to overcome. Developers are afraid to make ADD shitheads mad by denying them content that they suck too badly to beat. I don't have the time to invest in raiding anymore, so I shouldn't be able to see everything.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
I also miss giant raids of 50-70 people. Reducing raid content to 24 people means only the best 24 can raid and we are forced to leave guild members behind. It also makes it difficult to train new members the scripts because every spot is critical. And the large, guild raids were.........shock FUN! They are in the guild because we like them and they are good players. So why should I have to leave them back in the guild hall?

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't miss anything. When I was heavily into MMOs I was a miserable social reject with no friends, no life, and no aspirations in life beyond reaching the next level in my fantasy world.
Yikes man, you cant balance both or dont enjoy MMO's anymore? I've always looked at mmo's as a blessing that keeps me and my RL buddies who I play most games with from going out too much. We thoughout the years have always talked about how much we save drinking when mmo's are out.

Cybsled

For those that miss training, you can do it in WoW now on Timeless Isle. A lot of the ox dudes do AoE and ground attacks that can one shot squishies and many of the ox dudes don't leash properly (f u burning rush...shit has like a 2 cd).

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Yikes man, you cant balance both or dont enjoy MMO's anymore? I've always looked at mmo's as a blessing that keeps me and my RL buddies who I play most games with from going out too much. We thoughout the years have always talked about how much we save drinking when mmo's are out.
Well, I guess that works if your friends are into MMOs as well. Almost none of my friends have the slightest interest in ANY games, let alone MMOs on PCs. I still play MMOs occasionally--mostly free to play stuff like LOTRO--and balance things fine, now.

I forgot to mention that my post was mainly talking about high school. MMOs made me miss a ton of typical high school stuff so I don't miss the time sinks, the addiction, etc. at all.

Bruman

Golden Squire
I miss the days when you could play a MMO and public chat channels and all discussion of it wasn't related to how much better some old MMO did it or how it copies every other MMO.

(Not really, that's the best part!)

Fish1_sl

shitlord
I just miss the feeling that you are in a world with a long challenging struggle ahead. Unlike today where you just feel you are in the flavour of the month MMO that you will blast through in 3 weeks and then be bored of. I don't miss the extreme tedium of EQ (hell levels etc), but I miss the fact that the mobs were hard and not to be taken for granted. You could easily be killed by just one of them, so engaging in combat was something you had to be ready for and you had to know how to play your class. And managing mana actually mattered because it wasn't infinite. Nowadays you can just attack 5 mobs and spam 1234 and everything explodes, and if all else fails, you just run away. EQ wasn't like that at all.

The main thing I miss though is just how people used to be back then. It wasn't just EQ it was the entire internet. I played other games in the 90s and I used various chat rooms and people were really nice. There was no trolling (or very tiny amounts) and people were good conversationalists. In games like EQ people would talk to strangers and ask them where they lived and chat about stuff. There were very few acronyms so you would see in chat, "Hi everbody, would anyone like to group up with a level 23 Necromancer? I was thinking of exploring Unrest". Nowadays it's just, "lv 23 nec lfg". And people really chatted, they were playing the game but partly because of all the downtime, people had to communicate and work together and keep each other company. Now its just people who are forced together and it interrupts their solo quest grind and they dont even want to say "hi" half the time.

And my number 1 gripe of all..... I fucking hate that people don't think for themselves anymore. People would ponder stuff like Str and Dex or whatever, make their own minds up, and go with it. Nobody can do that any more, go in to any modern game and the chat is FILLED with people asking questions. Where do I hunt at lvl 1? What is the best class in the game? What stats should I use for a Wizard? How do I equip an item? How do you move hotkeys? Can any gm halp me? Wot clas is most needed at hi lvls?

It's just a constant barrage of people asking how to play. Nobody is willing to think for themselves anymore, even in games like Vanguard which some players like to pretend is a hardcore game. But you can mouse over the stats and it tells you exactly what they do. Yet people still demand answers from the other players. It is most infuriating when you play on a small server with a tiny population because you see the same people asking guidance on EVERYTHING. In modern games its just constant spam because there are so many new people trying it out, but play something like Vanguard or EQ Mac and it's like this:

Badazzdood: wot is teh best class?
Wizmasta: depends what you want to do
Badazzdood: solo and shit
Wizmasta: then probably a disc
BadazzDisc: wot stats i put in dis?
BadazzDisc:: WOT STATS I PUT IN DIS!!!!!!!
Wizmasta: uh str, vit, wis or something
BadazzDisc: were i hunt at lvl 1?
Wizmasta: your starting zone
BadazzDisc: i dinged were i go at lvl 2?
Wizmasta: the place next to your starting zone
BadazzDisc: how do i equip this hat?
Wizmasta: click the hat and then click it on your head
BadazzDisc: were 2 hunt at lvl 3?
BadazzDisc: WERE " HNT AT LVL $!!!!!!!!!

Fuck modern gaming.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
AAs
Friending some random awesome dude in my 30s and still being able to do content with them at max level.
Time = Skill.
Support classes.
Not having to leave good friends out of raid night because they fucking suck at everything.
Punishment for being a shit human.
tlvT5hj.png

You were a MMO lion back in the days and now you're being some random antilope ; maybe you should contemplate your IRL achievements rather than looking for Internet acknowledgement over seniority. Ya lost street credits yo, better live with it brah.

hats

Molten Core Raider
I miss not knowing wtf is going on and not really thinking about it anyway

basically i miss being 13 years old. good times

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
what do i miss most about MMO's? playing them! seriously, haven't played a MMO since vanguard 6 years ago. from everything i've seen, i haven't missed much since though. my kingdom for a decent MMO to play.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I miss gaming before Thottbot. I never thought it was necessary to whip out an engineering calculator to decide which gear/weapon you wanted, but people did it.
I also miss giant raids of 50-70 people. Reducing raid content to 24 people means only the best 24 can raid and we are forced to leave guild members behind. It also makes it difficult to train new members the scripts because every spot is critical. And the large, guild raids were.........shock FUN! They are in the guild because we like them and they are good players. So why should I have to leave them back in the guild hall?
These 2 things are directly correlated. Damage meters were the logical next step. If you can't "prove" that you're a player on par with the rest of the guild members, you can't be invited to the group because we can't beat the content if we bring in people that are worse than the "average" raid member.