MMORPGS, what do you miss?

Bruman

Golden Squire
I guess a lot of people weren't aware of informational websites and damage parsers "back in the day", but that doesn't mean that they weren't there pretty quickly. There were formulas you could use to determine which piece of gear was better for DPS, sites to look up to tell you how to do quests, to search for gear on, etc. Maybe not like....the first few months of EQ or something? But definitely there by Kunark, and raiders at least knew and used them.

xzi

Mouthbreather
The only thing I really miss is rare items and items that are very hard (but possible!) to obtain.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Yikes man, you cant balance both or dont enjoy MMO's anymore? I've always looked at mmo's as a blessing that keeps me and my RL buddies who I play most games with from going out too much. We thoughout the years have always talked about how much we save drinking when mmo's are out.
/Agree I used to view MMos in saved dollars from too much partying... now I am older and I am too tired for much partying so MMos still have a spot... if there was one worth playing that is...

JVIRUS

Golden Knight of the Realm
The #1 thing I miss is being able to help noobs and low level players.

Cannot give items away because they are BoP, level restricted, so quickly replaced it wouldn't matter anyway, or programmed not to drop for higher level characters. How I loved giving stuff away, and now the best I can do is say hand off a pile of in game currency. Buffing low level players which is also mostly restricted now, and watching them go berserk was so great.

Yes twinking, buff-botting, high levels farming low level regions, spawn stealing etc and other negative things would re-emerge but the games being programmed to factor out generosity in the interest of game/economy balance makes me wish some middle ground could be achieved.

Mellent_sl

shitlord
You say that like it's a bad thing. I suppose you'd rather be ushered through another sterile mmo world.
I'd think he'd rather be able to actively play the game.

Edit: (Not that he was even being negative. I mean, that's a pretty accurate description of certain aspects of the game).

supertouch_sl

shitlord
An MMORPG that keeps your undivided attention is a game that you won't be playing for long. You can't treat them like single-player games. There's nothing wrong with slowing things down.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
I miss grinding out levels with a perma grind group sitting in an open dungeon. I miss crowd control and feign death pulling. I miss mobs that are not locked to your group. I miss trains, training that douche over there and being trained in turn. Most of all I miss the fear of dying in a messed up place like the plane of fear zone-in in Everquest.

bayr_sl

shitlord
I'd think he'd rather be able to actively play the game.

Edit: (Not that he was even being negative. I mean, that's a pretty accurate description of certain aspects of the game).
We all idled in EQ and did the same thing in WoW. I don't think that negatively reflects on those games at all, you wanted to stay connected even when not actively engaged, sitting around in Plane of Tranquility or Ironforge or wherever, it felt good man. Those were the last games where I felt that urge to stay connected like that, the only reason people do it on games now is to avoid queues

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I miss world exploration before flying mounts came around. Everything felt bigger and more dangerous. Now you just hop on your flying mount and ignore all the sexiness the devs built for you. I felt it most in WOTLK when going to Icecrown Citadel. They had designed this big badass citadel with these enormous steps surrounded by massive mobs. OH FUCK THAT, JUST FLY TO THE ZONE-IN. Flying mounts shouldn't exist imo.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I miss having to be nice to people. In origianl eq I had to try and be nice to everyone because there were so many ways that you might need help in the future. Druid port, cleric rez, KEI, corpse pull, ect. If you were a known asshole in eq, life was going to be tough.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
I miss the social part of it. Some of the most fun I've ever had playing a game was while camping a spot in EQ, spending hours bullshitting with the group, cracking jokes and talking nonsense. Now, nobody ever says anything.

I also miss the sense of danger that EQ had.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
I miss the social part of it. Some of the most fun I've ever had playing a game was while camping a spot in EQ, spending hours bullshitting with the group, cracking jokes and talking nonsense. Now, nobody ever says anything.

This is a great point. The reason is, they have removed ALL downtime from the game now and dungeoncrawlinghas turned into dungeonSPRINTING!

There is no time to even type something into chat as they will be 4 mobs down by the time you hit enter, then scream at you "WHY ARE YOU FALLING BEHIND"!

bayr_sl

shitlord

modern MMOs don't even have Crossroads anymore. There's zero interaction unless it's absolutely necessary

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Trains.
The newness of playing with people from around the world.
Being able to bring anyone to a raid and not having to tell good people they couldn't come because they weren't the best players.