Monster Hunter Rise

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I need to unlock the other two submarines and start leveling buddies.

Last edited:

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It isn't the greatest experience using the Switch EMU with my 980TI and i7-7700k. Playable but if you weren't just jonesing for some Monster Hunter experience it definitely wouldn't be my suggestion on how to experience the game. Wait for the actual PC release and buy or grab it for Switch.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Performance on switch is good actually. Albeit at 720p or whatever and 30 frames, but still loads of fun. The one thing that I missed was a long battery life on the Pro Controller - this thing is 40 hours without a charge and me barely touching my switch since I re-Acquired one, is a nice perk considering the PS5 controllers last about 5-6 hours before needing a charge so I had to buy two of them and alternate charges.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
There's apparently a patch for the emulator that allows for 1080p and 1620p, also one that unlocks framerate. But again, not going to fiddle with it much because I love the series and will just buy it for PC. Unfortunately don't have a Switch and would probably just wait until this next refresh coming up if I were to get one.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It's a really good game guys. Seriously 10/10 just like MHW for me.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider

Some reused ones like in World, but a bunch of new ones as well. Some are pretty good (Magnamalo doesn't fuck around).

• 2Like

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
So I'm late on this Monster Hunter thing, I don't have any of the games and I hear a lot of people enjoy them so I'm wondering if someone could tell me a bit more about what kind of game it is...

What's the gameplay comparable to as far other games go?

What's the combat like? Is it like Devil May Cry hack n slash? Locked-on Zelda style? Something else?

From the video I see above, it reminds me of Xenoblade Chronicles combat, a little.

Is it fun solo offline or does it have to be multiplayer online to be enjoyed?

I'm a player that likes to play in short bursts now and then, and offline solo only so I have no idea if this game would be good or not ..

Thanks in advance! :)

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
So I'm late on this Monster Hunter thing, I don't have any of the games and I hear a lot of people enjoy them so I'm wondering if someone could tell me a bit more about what kind of game it is...

What's the gameplay comparable to as far other games go?

What's the combat like? Is it like Devil May Cry hack n slash? Locked-on Zelda style? Something else?

From the video I see above, it reminds me of Xenoblade Chronicles combat, a little.

Is it fun solo offline or does it have to be multiplayer online to be enjoyed?

I'm a player that likes to play in short bursts now and then, and offline solo only so I have no idea if this game would be good or not ..

Thanks in advance! :)

Every weapon is a little different, but overall the combat is very much an exercise of making deliberate attacks at the correct times. It initially feels very heavy / slow / awkward. Almost in a Souls sort of way, although that is a little cliched and overused comparison these days.

There's no "leveling up" per se.

The gameplay loop is basically go hunt monsters, get monster parts, make monster armor / weapons to go hunt larger monsters. And I find it most enjoyable either solo or with a group of friends. The pick up groups are okay for speed farming or being carried through monsters you may not be adept at killing quickly yourself, but they're sorta frustrating. Your mileage may vary.

The game gets very deep though, there's an ass load of content, most monsters are unique enough that they all feel different. Even some of the ones that are just color variants. The learning curve is steep and continuous as well. You can almost always get better and tweak things.

And I hate not having a Switch!

• 1Like

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Every weapon is a little different....

Thanks that's a good description, it sounds interesting. I just picked up HADES recently (which is nothing like this) and I'm still very early into it but I think maybe I'll pick up MHR later down the road when it's a bit cheaper, maybe with some DLC included and stuff. Thanks again!

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Thanks that's a good description, it sounds interesting. I just picked up HADES recently (which is nothing like this) and I'm still very early into it but I think maybe I'll pick up MHR later down the road when it's a bit cheaper, maybe with some DLC included and stuff. Thanks again!
Generally speaking MH doesn't sell content, just like cosmetics and shit, all the content is added for free, and they add a ton of it over time, so it's never a bad time to pick up the game and start playing cause new content and seasonal events ensures there's always people playing(in case you want to pub, obviously solo it doesn't matter regardless). And the more you wait the more you have to do, especially this one which apparently they didn't finish before shipping so the ending is coming next month(along with one new monster, and maybe some others too).

As for the gameplay, it's pretty unique, other than MH-like games, which there's not many of(the main ones would be God Eater which is like Anime futuristic MH and Dauntless which is a F2P fortnite-looking MH on Epic Game Store and consoles). Closest I'd say would be something like Dragon's Dogma, which is another Capcom game that had a somewhat similar sense of fighting large monsters and stuff, but still very different. The Souls comparison isn't too bad for the combat aspect but you basically only fight bosses, you have a fair bit more healing and have "easier" difficulties to learn the monsters and it's less RPG as mentionned, the progression is fairly flattened where you can kill most stuff with any random gear fairly easily(besides the Low Rank/High Rank distinction) but you put together and optimize skills that are available on the gear so there's some depth to it too.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
So I have no idea what is going on here but I cannot get the 3rd submarine quest economic stimulation even though I am hr5 now in gathering hub and also did the urgent quest. (Hr5 now in both village and gathering hub actually). The quest doesn’t show for me. Any ideas?

“Reach High Rank (Hunter Rank 4) by completing the 3-Star Gathering Hub Key Quest and then the 4-Star Urgent Quest to get the Quest Economic Stimulation.”

Talked to everyone. It isn’t showing up in any side quests or main quests or sub or, well, anything. :( pissing me off.

Blueweed

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Your in a good monster hunter place. You can even consider playing Monster Hunter world that has buttloads of content on pc or PlayStation then Rise when more content releases down the road.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Let me preface this with the fact that MH is an amazing franchise and I have hundreds of hours into the games (if not thousands).

BUUUUUTTT.... it would be my favorite game series of all times if every fight were just 20% shorter.

I don't want it to be super fast; but fucking hell beating on the same monster for real life 10 minutes gets old sometimes. Also, I'd love for there to be a way to not let monsters escape to their THIRD location. Chasing them once is enough, thank you.

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Ah now I see the source of my retardation.

If you go do your first rampage in the hub like I did there is no tutorial. In the village rampage there is. It is also significantly shorter than the first hub one.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Let me preface this with the fact that MH is an amazing franchise and I have hundreds of hours into the games (if not thousands).

BUUUUUTTT.... it would be my favorite game series of all times if every fight were just 20% shorter.

I don't want it to be super fast; but fucking hell beating on the same monster for real life 10 minutes gets old sometimes. Also, I'd love for there to be a way to not let monsters escape to their THIRD location. Chasing them once is enough, thank you.
They'd be shorter if you got gud...

• 3Worf
  • 1Rimshot
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So are the hub hunts just harder than the village ones? They seem to have way more health.

• 1Like

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
So are the hub hunts just harder than the village ones? They seem to have way more health.

Yeah hub is designed for multiplayer. Stuff will scale down for solo but it will have more health and deal more damage than village.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Pretty sure they do their moves more often as well, or use the full moveset. Volidon or whatever basically just stood there in village but rolls all over the place in HR.

• 2Like