Monster Hunter: World

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Any other Long Sworders? I've watched a few videos of sets but interested in other people's ideas for progression. I'm only up through Nergigante but currently running a full set of Odogaron alpha and trying to figure out what to move in to. Might skip going out tonight and just chill in Discord trying to party up with people. Actually having a lot of fun in random PUGs.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Is Heavy Bowgun secretly shit? It's pretty unwieldy and about as slow as a Greatsword while the damage feels pretty underwhelming. I just thought I could make my life easier against Xeno so I don't try to blow my brains out from fighting it with a hammer.
The damage is pretty good due to constantly being able to fire. Against Xeno with a pierce build, legianna gun, you do like 60-80 per shot I think, almost double when he does the glowy shit and becomes more vulnerable, but you can more or less fire the entire time while melee have to run around to hit the front legs and shit which is a pain when he decides to turn around and charge super far. Triple range damage mods or double+guard, pierce 3 with a lot of attack, weakness exploit, 1pt crit boost, 1pt pierce(most likely from the rath legs or whatever gives it I forgot already I've been swapping HBG builds). Bring some gunpowder and put the pierce 3 craft on the radial wheel so you can refill midfight and never have to fire anything else(other than the minigun special shit, that one's good, affinity smoke before and just fire at the fucker).

It's a lot faster than every other build I've tried against Xeno. It's pretty good against some other monsters too, but not too much.

For the rest, spread seems better, but you have to basically be in melee range to shoot, it does a lot of stagger though.

I also made a cluster set for Kushala cause I was getting fucking tired of his shit. Basically a set where you just stand in one spot and mortar the fuck out of him for 2-3mins until he dies without doing much. If you don't get lucky procs though he'll eventually fly away which adds some time, but that one's nice since I keep getting kushala investigations, and they're the only ones with 4 or 5 boxes.

Any other Long Sworders? I've watched a few videos of sets but interested in other people's ideas for progression. I'm only up through Nergigante but currently running a full set of Odogaron alpha and trying to figure out what to move in to. Might skip going out tonight and just chill in Discord trying to party up with people. Actually having a lot of fun in random PUGs.

Basic entry level long sword build is your average elementless build. To get started super early, dragonking eyepatch, dober b chest, teostra b gloves, nergigante b belt, death stench legs with a handicraft charm and the arena long sword Divine Slasher. This gives you 3weakness exploit from helm+gloves, 4atk from chest+belt(5 with the free atk deco you get in the quests), 4 handicraft with charm+legs(since you won't get +3 handicraft charm for a little while). Dragonking comes from finishing the main story and death stench comes from vaal hazak+sinister cloth(from tailraider expeditions shit, random chance on any of them so make sure to keep sending them).

Later on, you'll change that stuff around a bit to say, nergigante helm a, kushala b chest, teostra a gloves, nergi b belt, nergi b boots, this gives you the nergi 3 pc set(not great but not bad) and 3 maximum might which virtually is 30%crit since you don't use stam. For this you need a weakness exploit jewel to get 3 with the gloves, and you'll definitely want elementless boost(this is a common one, and is basically a flat 10% damage increase if you're not using elemental) and a crit boost jewel for the 30% more crit dmg. You can also drop some of the handicraft once you get protective polish(rare jewel).

Mostly, start farming the sword, try to do it in a grp since solo is slow as shit, it needs arena materials so it's a bit different than other stuff. But it's basically the best sword for a while.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pretty sure Triple threat will mostly give you shit gems though. I think the best/fastest/easiest way to get good decos, unless you're amazing, fully geared, or getting carried is to just run tier 2 tempered monsters.

Definitely gonna spam Snow & Cherry Blossoms (P Rathian and Legiana) though for HR.
Yea, seems to only drop r4/r5 gems.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is Heavy Bowgun secretly shit? It's pretty unwieldy and about as slow as a Greatsword while the damage feels pretty underwhelming. I just thought I could make my life easier against Xeno so I don't try to blow my brains out from fighting it with a hammer.
Try Light Bow Gun, super mobile and good damage.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Basic entry level long sword build is your average elementless build. To get started super early, dragonking eyepatch, dober b chest, teostra b gloves, nergigante b belt, death stench legs with a handicraft charm and the arena long sword Divine Slasher. This gives you 3weakness exploit from helm+gloves, 4atk from chest+belt(5 with the free atk deco you get in the quests), 4 handicraft with charm+legs(since you won't get +3 handicraft charm for a little while). Dragonking comes from finishing the main story and death stench comes from vaal hazak+sinister cloth(from tailraider expeditions shit, random chance on any of them so make sure to keep sending them).

Later on, you'll change that stuff around a bit to say, nergigante helm a, kushala b chest, teostra a gloves, nergi b belt, nergi b boots, this gives you the nergi 3 pc set(not great but not bad) and 3 maximum might which virtually is 30%crit since you don't use stam. For this you need a weakness exploit jewel to get 3 with the gloves, and you'll definitely want elementless boost(this is a common one, and is basically a flat 10% damage increase if you're not using elemental) and a crit boost jewel for the 30% more crit dmg. You can also drop some of the handicraft once you get protective polish(rare jewel).

Mostly, start farming the sword, try to do it in a grp since solo is slow as shit, it needs arena materials so it's a bit different than other stuff. But it's basically the best sword for a while.

Awesome thanks. I've avoided the beta stuff mostly just b/c I don't have any good decos for things but I'm sure that'll change.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Do arena (in gathering hall) and make Divine Slasher.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I had to fight the lightning unicorn. Gunblade may be the absolute worst weapon to fight him with. Time ran out on me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

italica

Trakanon Raider
I had to fight the lightning unicorn. Gunblade may be the absolute worst weapon to fight him with. Time ran out on me.

Haven't played in a little while, but I believe getting the armor perk or gem that allows you to block normally unblockable attacks makes that fight easier to deal with until you get a better handle on his timings / indicators. Only thing you may still have to dodge at that point are the horizontal lightning beams.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
If you get 20 in lightning resist or more, you're immune to shock. Eat for resist large and wear some lightning resistant armor/put some jewels in it, and most of his lightning attacks are going to not hurt too much. Can block most of it other than the big ones too. Just poke the head a couple of times then block and should work out fine, that's how I did it with lance with barely taking any damage. Thunder mantle from the LR Kirin quest can help too if you die and can't eat food again.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
If you get 20 in lightning resist or more, you're immune to shock. Eat for resist large and wear some lightning resistant armor/put some jewels in it, and most of his lightning attacks are going to not hurt too much. Can block most of it other than the big ones too. Just poke the head a couple of times then block and should work out fine, that's how I did it with lance with barely taking any damage. Thunder mantle from the LR Kirin quest can help too if you die and can't eat food again.

Ya...pretty much gouged his eyes out for 20 minutes.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ya...pretty much gouged his eyes out for 20 minutes.
If you're soloing; Vitality Mantle, Thundreproof Mantle, Palico NPC (two palico's are better than one); Ancient Potion if you die, Max Potion for instant heals. If possible, use a Fire element weapon, and take some bombs for the end.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Seriously. I think it's something that gets better later? I don't know. When I had just newbie hbg crafted and wasn't able to use all the ammo it for sure feels very weak in comparison to something like sword and shield.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Oh for leveling I'd think it's hot garbage, I don't know I haven't tried but it really looks like a weapon that's only good at high level with all the ammo types, the skills to increase damage and ammo and 3 slots to mod your gun. LBG might be better for leveling since it doesn't feel clunky as all fuck and burst mode normal should kill stuff at a decent enough pace.

I've only played it for tempered stuff and it's alright, not amazing and not very fun, but it's good for specialized applications I think. Mostly now I'm just clearing my kushala investigations out with cluster build, it's fucking boring but gets the job done quickly. I tried to do one with IG again and it took fucking forever, even with 3pc kushala set the boss is a bunch of fucking garbage and with 3pc of the crappy set you don't have enough damage to loop KO him or whatever, but without it I keep getting assfucked by his wind shield stunning me into an air blast attack I can't dodge, so fuck that noise, I'm just firing at the fucker.

Kinda wish I'd get 3+ rewards for other stuff than Teostra and Kushala though, fucking RNG makes the farming so boring. I've gotten 1 vaal hazak, 1 kirin and 2 nergigante and all of them only had 2 rewards, and I've gotten like 15 kushala/teostra combined.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh for leveling I'd think it's hot garbage, I don't know I haven't tried but it really looks like a weapon that's only good at high level with all the ammo types, the skills to increase damage and ammo and 3 slots to mod your gun. LBG might be better for leveling since it doesn't feel clunky as all fuck and burst mode normal should kill stuff at a decent enough pace.

I've only played it for tempered stuff and it's alright, not amazing and not very fun, but it's good for specialized applications I think. Mostly now I'm just clearing my kushala investigations out with cluster build, it's fucking boring but gets the job done quickly. I tried to do one with IG again and it took fucking forever, even with 3pc kushala set the boss is a bunch of fucking garbage and with 3pc of the crappy set you don't have enough damage to loop KO him or whatever, but without it I keep getting assfucked by his wind shield stunning me into an air blast attack I can't dodge, so fuck that noise, I'm just firing at the fucker.

Kinda wish I'd get 3+ rewards for other stuff than Teostra and Kushala though, fucking RNG makes the farming so boring. I've gotten 1 vaal hazak, 1 kirin and 2 nergigante and all of them only had 2 rewards, and I've gotten like 15 kushala/teostra combined.

Can you explain your Kushala farming technique with the cluster bomb build? I'd like to try that.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Can you explain your Kushala farming technique with the cluster bomb build? I'd like to try that.
Here's an old speedrun of it:

Basically, you need Zorah Magdaros HBG for the cluster 3, you need free elem/ammo up 3 to carry more ammo(I use the charm for +2, easy materials, and +1 on rath soul beta chest but for example you can use kirin legs for +2 and a gem for +3 if you have one) and you want 3 pc of the xenojiva set(I went with helm, gloves and boots, all beta preferably for slots but I have alpha gloves cause I already bought them before) then you want as much attack and peak performance as you can fit. I was lucky to drop 2 peak performance jewels a bit before I decided to go for this, so I use these for peak performance, and I use nergi belt for attack+gem. If I had a free elem jewel I could replace the chest with dober for 2more attack. Note that in this build, peak performance can be better than attack. After that you have to setup your radial so you have cluster 1 and cluster 3 in there, carry the materials to make them(bomb powder 3 and bomberries) use a bunch of atk consumables because damage can be iffy if you don't get lucky on set procs. I use the molotov cat for more damage. No other stats besides atk does anything for cluster bomb damage so don't bother with weakness exploit or artillery.

So you buff up with all your shit, go to Kushala who'll be sitting there doing nothing(doesn't aggro until you attack), drop some barrels on his ass, use rocksteady mantle+healing booster, and start firing the clusters at it. Whenever you reload cluster, you want to hit the radial menu and recraft ammo. You can only hold 3 clusters at the same time, which is why you have to constantly recraft every reload, hit the cluster 3 button first to make 2 of these, then the cluster 1 button to remake the cluster 1 that are used to craft cluster 3 for the next time. If you get a lot of procs like in the video, it's easier, but even with bad procs it's not hard. If you dont get enough damage, he'll fly away to go sleep as usual. Just recraft some barrels and use the sniper attack or wyvern ammo to finish him.

You do have to pay attention to one thing if you don't stun lock him, when he does his big charged breath attack. If you don't dodge that, you will probably get one shot. I have some augmented armor and 3 health jewels on my set so I can kinda survive, but if you see it coming it's worth rolling to the side to dodge it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
SOB, almost finished up Teostra in this group and all of a sudden "connection lost." Guy is a piece of shit for me as melee.