Monster Hunter: World

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Uhh just played beta. Game feels clunky as fuck

Agreed, really want to like this (never played MH before) and the theme seems right up my alley... it just doesn't feel right. It's like every mmo after playing wow - the concepts might be amazing, great systems but if it doesn't feel great I can't stay interested. Ah welll, just not for me I reckon

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Agreed, really want to like this (never played MH before) and the theme seems right up my alley... it just doesn't feel right. It's like every mmo after playing wow - the concepts might be amazing, great systems but if it doesn't feel great I can't stay interested. Ah welll, just not for me I reckon

Don't give up on it that easy, there is 13 weapons, they all play different. Some are very slow, some are very fast. The animation locking is necessary to the way the game plays, you'll come to appreciate it. Maybe it isn't for you, but you're going to miss out on a great experience.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
jesus the Elder Dragon's goin at each other, is fucking awesome Teo vs Nergi , sadly Kushala runs as soon as Nergi enters the area *sigh*

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Terrible phone picture. Ended up doing this solo with dual swords. Still trying to adjust to great sword but the subtle differences from 3DS are throwing me for a loop.

View attachment 159868

That clunky animation lock feeling is one of the greatest strengths and weaknesses of Monster Hunter.

Tried solo and with full party, can't seem to kill him.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
jesus the Elder Dragon's goin at each other, is fucking awesome Teo vs Nergi , sadly Kushala runs as soon as Nergi enters the area *sigh*

Kushala has Turf Wars with both Teostra and Nergigante. Nerg wins their's and tosses Kushala's ass away.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
After playing around with all the weapons now I am probably going to go with the Bow and the Kinsect Blade/Switch Axe.

Delly

Trakanon Raider

Some weapons are definitely easier than others. People have had sub 8 minutes kills and I think there was a sub 4 minute bow kill, so there is definitely room for improvement. Maybe watch some of the faster kills to see where you can improve.

The fight requires extreme aggression due to the time limit and knowing the tricks to avoid the high damage attacks.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
This game throws way too many options at you from the start. It's overwhelming and caused me to lose interest.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>

I got him on my second go at 12:27, mostly because I haven't played for so long I forgot the controls. He really hates being jabbed in the eye if you can use that btw. Don't forget to use your items, equip yourself in the equipment with the stats you want, and use health boosters/mantles, traps, daggers etc if you think they will give you an advantage.

I died twice too, so I'm sure I could shave it down to 6-7 minutes with this weapon. Keep in mind his HP goes up exponentially in a party, it's probably harder with 4 than it is with 1.

Edit: I'd be happy to duo with you.

Last edited:

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
This game throws way too many options at you from the start. It's overwhelming and caused me to lose interest.
This too. I'm hoping the actual game eases you into everything and gives a little more in depth explanation of everything.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Delly

Trakanon Raider
This too. I'm hoping the actual game eases you into everything and gives a little more in depth explanation of everything.

Explains everything? No. It is slower at the beginning though. It typically teaches you some basics through some beginner missions. They may have made the typical tutorial better in MHW than previous games.
While it feels overwhelming at first, you quickly will get into the groove.

Just remember, this is a combat beta. Once you see under the hood more you'll have a better understanding of how it all works. They throw you in with a lot of items and weapons to pick from, use the basics if your new, ignore or research the ones you don't know. Even as a veteran I had to double check some things because MHW has changed so much.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The initial beta a month or two ago had the beginner tutorials and such.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>

This beta is just to get people interested and I agree it throws a lot at you. Don't let it overwhelm you. You have a cool weapon and there's big monsters out there to beat the shit out of. Use your potions and go hit them in the head repeatedly for fun.

When the real game comes out, all your consumables and everything you have in the beta will be gone. You'll start from scratch and you'll learn about everything as you go much like any game or MMO.

The advice I keep giving over and over is TRY EVERY WEAPON IN THE PRACTICE MODE.

You are guaranteed to find one you like. I have about 7 weapons that I absolutely loathe and it wasn't until I reached the Gunlance that things clicked and I realized "This is my main weapon"

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This beta is just to get people interested and I agree it throws a lot at you. Don't let it overwhelm you. You have a cool weapon and there's big monsters out there to beat the shit out of. Use your potions and go hit them in the head repeatedly for fun.

When the real game comes out, all your consumables and everything you have in the beta will be gone. You'll start from scratch and you'll learn about everything as you go much like any game or MMO.

The advice I keep giving over and over is TRY EVERY WEAPON IN THE PRACTICE MODE.

You are guaranteed to find one you like. I have about 7 weapons that I absolutely loathe and it wasn't until I reached the Gunlance that things clicked and I realized "This is my main weapon"

I really wanted to like the Longsword. But I just couldn't! Insect Glaive is great shit though!

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I’d never played MH until the first beta and thought the exact same thing. As others have said, these betas are analogous to loading up mid to end game characters in an MMO you've never played. You’d feel lost in pretty much ANY game under those circumstances.

You won’t have all the consumables, weapons, and armors from the start in the full release. The mission and gameplay structure will also be pretty different (though the main focus will obviously still be hunting monsters with your favorite weapons). As far as I can tell the only game systems on display in the betas are combat and monster behaviors. The full game will have crafting, player hubs, mission progression curves [that aren’t simply EASY MEDIUM HARD], etc.

In any case, I’ll definitely be picking it up. Providing fully decked out characters in the beta (versus say a demo of the first hour of the game) was an interesting choice. As a new player it’s not immediately obvious that the rewards from the primary gameplay loop are completely circumvented in these betas.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
TIL that you can't directly transfer screenshots between PS4 and PC.

QQEVA95.jpg

Yx7ehF4.jpg

Tempted to go in and reduce my time.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I think if you have the PS4 App you can send the photo to a friend (or maybe even yourself?) and then upload it from your phone.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider

I felt the same exact way you and Alex are describing. Reading that we were using fully developed toons makes much more sense.

Do you experienced players think we should stick to training mode until we learn basic combos or is there another approach people recommend?