Monster Hunter: World

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Depends on weapons and shit yeah. If you play DB/Bow you definitly want to hit the right element, for others are good raw option will do fine on everything(gold rathian or royal weapons on PC). Once Safi goes live a lot of the BiS weapons are just the blast raw one, but technically against 3star weakness monsters the weapon with the right element tends to pull ahead slightly(like 2-5% more) so you could in theory use that but in a lot of cases it kinda doesn't matter.

And yeah definitly just fix effluvium. If you mean normal vaal hazak in vanilla, there's no good way to deal with it though, the charm require vaal hazak materials, the HR armors are surprisingly shit for it and you won't have decos. So you kinda have to wing it and once you kill him you can make his armor or the charm to get +3. If you mean blackveil in Iceborne, then you have a lot more options, obviously at this point you can get the charm but you can also use various MR armors like Girros and Hornetaur which have effluvia resist on them that you can farm before it.

I'm on Blackveil Vaal Hazaak. Just made the miasma charm and did an attempt, no longer have the halfing of health but somehow still got carted 3 times from the move where he rises up in the air and showers the area with his ash. This still ticks like crazy, is it best to run away and wait that out? The vid i just watched he just kept fighting so I'm assuming no but it seems to tick pretty hard and fast.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm on Blackveil Vaal Hazaak. Just made the miasma charm and did an attempt, no longer have the halfing of health but somehow still got carted 3 times from the move where he rises up in the air and showers the area with his ash. This still ticks like crazy, is it best to run away and wait that out? The vid i just watched he just kept fighting so I'm assuming no but it seems to tick pretty hard and fast.
The one where he flies up then explodes? It drops a bunch of shit on the ground in a large circle, but the center of the circle(where he is) is safe and you can fight there. Or you can drag him out of the circle if the area you're fighting in is large enough, just go through and wait for him to chase you. Definitely do not fight on the circle, even with a healing pod you'll be losing health standing on it, shit hurts. It lasts a fair while but does disapear after some time, the aoe is also bigger than the visuals so the center is actually kinda small if you decide to fight there.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
The one where he flies up then explodes? It drops a bunch of shit on the ground in a large circle, but the center of the circle(where he is) is safe and you can fight there. Or you can drag him out of the circle if the area you're fighting in is large enough, just go through and wait for him to chase you. Definitely do not fight on the circle, even with a healing pod you'll be losing health standing on it, shit hurts. It lasts a fair while but does disapear after some time, the aoe is also bigger than the visuals so the center is actually kinda small if you decide to fight there.

I feel like I have a good handle on this now. Is it just me though or does this guy have a shit load of health? I think I broke every piece of him in 50 minutes yet he kept going. Was regularly getting full phial elemental slams on him for at least 600dmg. Aside from just popping might seeds non-stop not sure what else I can do.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I feel like I have a good handle on this now. Is it just me though or does this guy have a shit load of health? I think I broke every piece of him in 50 minutes yet he kept going. Was regularly getting full phial elemental slams on him for at least 600dmg. Aside from just popping might seeds non-stop not sure what else I can do.
Yeah Vaal Hazak always was a tank, has the most base health iirc(besides obviously shit like behemoth and ancient leshen which aren't scaled down for solo). Your damage issue could be gear(bad weapon, bad skills) or just not enough damage uptime, you can fairly consistently hit him once you understand his attacks. SAED can be a bit messy since you don't always have good openings so you might want to use savage axe on him instead, can get a few pokes more consistently then switch back to sword then axe again and so on, using up your phials bit by bit and only going for SAED when he does like the beam stuff so you have plenty of time to wind up.

Definitely don't use a dragon elemental weapon though with CB, if that's what you have phials do 0 damage if they hit an unbroken part, he takes good dragon damage once broken but 0 when not and phials do pure dragon damage so it's basically a bunch of 0s(although it should be obvious when you see the numbers pop up).

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Yeah Vaal Hazak always was a tank, has the most base health iirc(besides obviously shit like behemoth and ancient leshen which aren't scaled down for solo). Your damage issue could be gear(bad weapon, bad skills) or just not enough damage uptime, you can fairly consistently hit him once you understand his attacks. SAED can be a bit messy since you don't always have good openings so you might want to use savage axe on him instead, can get a few pokes more consistently then switch back to sword then axe again and so on, using up your phials bit by bit and only going for SAED when he does like the beam stuff so you have plenty of time to wind up.

Definitely don't use a dragon elemental weapon though with CB, if that's what you have phials do 0 damage if they hit an unbroken part, he takes good dragon damage once broken but 0 when not and phials do pure dragon damage so it's basically a bunch of 0s(although it should be obvious when you see the numbers pop up).

I"m using the Glavenous CB which is R10 Fire damage and elemental phials. I'm still going through ~20 pots an attempt so I figure it has to be damage uptime as you're noting. I think I could switch back to LS with the miasma charm.

As far as gear I'm using almost exactly as listed here under MR5 exempt I haven't made the Damascus legs yet and am still therefore using the Barroth legs - Iceborne Charge Blade Builds (PC)

• 1Like

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Hah, first attempt back on the LS set but using the Miasma charm instead of the Master one and killed him. Crazy.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Hah, first attempt back on the LS set but using the Miasma charm instead of the Master one and killed him. Crazy.
Yeah it helps playing weapons you're comfortable with and for vaal at least weapons with a constant flow of attacks versus big hitters I find works better because while he's easy to read, his attacks are very strong so you do want to dodge them when you have to, but if you're like doing a SAED or a greatsword TCS or doing wild swings on SA and such, you can get caught like an idiot and then you waste a bunch of time healing and so on, but weapons like lance, LS, SnS, IG(and SA if you do a lot more sword mode), you can stick to him, unload constant big damage and just avoid whatever when he decides to turn around and do something.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
One shot Namiele and Ruiner Neg, felt like I was about to kill Shara but he has some pretty bursty hits. Maybe tomorrow I guess.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
One shot Namiele and Ruiner Neg, felt like I was about to kill Shara but he has some pretty bursty hits. Maybe tomorrow I guess.

I hate the Shara fight. But to do it efficiently make sure you slam it into the cliff for the 20k dmg. You can do this in the first 5 minutes and knock off the shell. After that whatever. I have the fight down to like 13 minutes usually but its not enjoyable.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I hate the Shara fight. But to do it efficiently make sure you slam it into the cliff for the 20k dmg. You can do this in the first 5 minutes and knock off the shell. After that whatever. I have the fight down to like 13 minutes usually but its not enjoyable.

For whatever reason he kept failing to hit the wall no matter how close he seemed to it. Seemed really odd. Could have just been the booze though. We'll see.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
For whatever reason he kept failing to hit the wall no matter how close he seemed to it. Seemed really odd. Could have just been the booze though. We'll see.

He has to have the yellow minimap indicator or you can't do it. That and its a specific cliff with the overhanging rocks to fall on him.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
So what's the best guide for Guiding Lands? Just vary what ones you have high based on gear needs or are there regions better than other? For instance high end LS set is Kaiser (Teostra), Rajang and Garuga gear. Are there certain areas I'd want to focus on for that then?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So what's the best guide for Guiding Lands? Just vary what ones you have high based on gear needs or are there regions better than other? For instance high end LS set is Kaiser (Teostra), Rajang and Garuga gear. Are there certain areas I'd want to focus on for that then?
Well early on you're capped, you need to increase your MR(by doing GL imo but you can do other stuff too, just since you're gonna need to do some GL might as well) to unlock more levels which unlock the good stuff.

The main thing to understand about GL materials is they can all be melded(besides the tempered dragon ones) at the melder, but only show up once you've seen them one, or you've seen their tempered version(each material has 2 version for the normal and tempered, normal is unlocked if you get the tempered first too). So in theory your goal in there should be to kill every monster at least once, and often twice(in normal then tempered form, but if you just get the temp it's fine). It helps if you make a list. This way if you ever need a material, you can just convert some other shit to it.

The basics is you should get Forest up to 3+ first, to get Garuga to spawn to get the legs asap, although I think you might be able to do the event currently running for it if you have the MR without needing the GL(you might still want to lvl it to get Zinogre for the quest). Then you should get Wildspire, Coral and Vale to 5+ to get Gold Rathian(weapon), Silver Rathalos(mostly armor for elemental user, not useful for long sword but eh), and Brute Tigrex(chest and set can be used for nice stuff). They don't all have to be 5 at the same time, just you get them to 5, find the monster there and drop them. You might be able to do investigations for them instead though once you have the right MR(49+ iirc?).

Gold Rathian should be the highest priority for your since LS has it as a weapon, and by default goldian weapons tend to be the best when they exist, they have good base white sharpness so you don't need handicraft, have base affinity, have very high raw AND have poisons. They basically have no downsides, other than requiring 3 tails which is fucking annoying at times. As soon as you unlock Gold Rathian(kill him once to get research 1 for it), send your tailrider safari to Elder's Recess constantly to get investigations(can also manually farm tracks there).

Eventually you'll want to rotate everything to 7 to get every materials, but the priority to 7 should be Coral by far(Tempered Namielle drops the materials for the R12 health augments) and 2nd priority should probably be Volcano for Temp Lunastra(Handicraft and Agitator charm upgrades), she spawns in Wildspire too but Volcano is better because it also spawns Kushala if you end up needing that. And once you have these 2, you can work on getting every other area to 7 as the 3rd, Vale so you get temp brute tigrex and temp vaal, Wildspire for temp gold rathian(not super useful mind you but it's unique) and forest for Scarred Garuga.

Rajang can spawn everywhere once you've done the quest for it, which should pop I assume after you've done the MR49+ unlock, although tempered only spawns in volcano which is another reason you want volcano(temp rajan is used for the 2nd augment slot upgrade, which makes the R12 weapons able to roll both health augment and affinity, making builds a lot easier).

Also one big tip in case you haven't been reading random messages here too much, ALWAYS have Geology 1 in your sets for GL. Make a copy of every armor set you run and replace something with Geology 1, I usually replace a health boost or a crit boost depending on the set, I have a page of sets with GL in the name for that specifically. Geology 1 makes it so every monster that has bones in its loot tables(which is 95% of the monsters, only shit like Jagras or Coral Pukei or whatever don't have them I forgot which exactly), you can loot the drops twice, meaning you'll get a shit ton more materials, so you won't need to grind that place nearly as long.

For example you can get enough materials to make like 4 augments off a single Namielle kill, which is a stark contrast from the old system where you'd need to kill 20 elders to get a decent chance at the right streamstones and even then it might have been the wrong ones. So you can get your shit done pretty quickly once you've unlocked the monsters, you'll still want to keep farming some for the great spiritvein gems for armor augments/slot augments and the solidbones for melding decos, but you can get your augments sorted pretty quickly for your main weapons once you're MR99+.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
SO here is a question.

I see a fair amount of videos of solo dual blades being able to wound enemies very easily with the claw. How do they do that? The only thing I've ever been able to wound with DBs is the head.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
SO here is a question.

I see a fair amount of videos of solo dual blades being able to wound enemies very easily with the claw. How do they do that? The only thing I've ever been able to wound with DBs is the head.
What? Light weapons need two grabs or 5(?) claw hits to wound any part. Think it is 100 claw damage. Heavy weapons do it in one.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
What? Light weapons need two grabs or 5(?) claw hits to wound any part. Think it is 100 claw damage. Heavy weapons do it in one.

Oh, interesting, I've been clawing a lot, and I never recall wounding anything ever but the head. Good to know though, maybe the DB videos that do it super easy are just decked out and can do it in one.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
SO here is a question.

In the Safi patch, Dual Blades and SnS get a buff that makes their moves that claws also apply a hit. Namely for Dual Blades it's the circle circle circle combo move(iirc) that does spinny moves and end up in a claw attack, for SnS it's the uppercut claw after a roll. When you do these atm on PC, you just get a grab, so they're not very good, but on consoles/in march on PC, they'll apply a hit like if you did a normal claw attack, so you do the spinny grab, then do an attack and that's the same as 2 attacks, so you tenderize. Big QoL change.

As for your other question I guess you don't understand how wounding works. Light weapons need 2 claw attacks, or 3claw hits(the ones that make the monsters turn if attacking the head) then a claw attack to tenderize. This can be done on any parts. Heavy weapons tenderize in one hit.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Yep thank you Pyros, I understand it now. I guess I just didn't pay close enough attention to it. As I said I try to claw a lot, but yeah.

That safi patch sounds amazing, that claw attack is gonna be pimp.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Guiding lands is only for augs and fashion armor. Still need tempered investigation for the better armorsets. And unlock some monsters.