Monster Hunter: World

jonoki

Molten Core Raider
Fought Tempered Lunastra last night. That's the most bullshit fight in the game. Holy shit. How the fuck do you get away from the nova? I kept getting flinched by her roar and couldnt even get my weapon sheathed to try and superman jump half the time. Died like 8 times in GL. Lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Fought Tempered Lunastra last night. That's the most bullshit fight in the game. Holy shit. How the fuck do you get away from the nova? I kept getting flinched by her roar and couldnt even get my weapon sheathed to try and superman jump half the time. Died like 8 times in GL. Lol.

Windproof 5. Guard 5. Fire resist 3 for annoyance. Heat guard 1 I want to say to walk on most blue flames.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The Tempered Lunastra Nova is like a bleed though so fire resist doesn't do shit. You gotta slam a jerky to stop the damage.

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
So are there any good tutorials on using LBG efficiently? I've always stuck to glaive and ds I want to learn something else.

Yeah man, glad you mentioned that. I've been using Switch Axe (to be dmg), Gun Lance for when we need someone beefy to annoy, and I'm looking for range. LBG seemed like the thing to go for but the guides online outside of Arekkz Gaming stuff don't really show me much outside of "I'm shooting this guy a lot and making him walk into bombs."

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Yet another question about Affinity and DBs.

I have two weapons, one has 25% Affinity base on it and 300 Ice. Another weapon has 0% Affinity base and 360 Ice. Which one would be better in this case? I always roll with max critical eye. I am still not sure how all this is calculated. The game says there are max elemental and affinity limits, but no idea what those limits are.

Edit: I just saw pyros's note that elemental damage scales better, so I presume that's the route I go.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The Tempered Lunastra Nova is like a bleed though so fire resist doesn't do shit. You gotta slam a jerky to stop the damage.
Fire resist does reduce the damage, this is most apparent with the mantle which makes it so even if you take the whole thing you don't die(assuming you had 200hp when it started). Having 20+ fire resist base also makes it so you don't get afflicted by burns, which is helpful. Having more isn't really THAT useful though.

For temp lunastra, there's 2 ways around it, you either pray you'll sheathe in time to superman jump spam the nova(even then you'll take a good bit of damage if you don't have fire mantle up unless you have perfect timing cause you'll often get clipped between 2 jumps) and that gets less and less reliable when using slower sheathe time weapons, or you just use windproof 5 which lets you ignore the whole thing. Windproof 5 is a bit annoying to get but it's certainly doable and it makes the fight a lot easier, not even just the supernova but also the mini nova wing flap shit(her new IB move), or just random wind pressure when she turns around and stuff.

With Lance I can kill her without windproof but you need to block the wind pressures, if you get caught not blocking when she starts the nova, you won't have time to sheathe and will die 100% of the time(unless, again, you have fire mantle on then you're probably good). As a result the weapon I use for Lunastra investigations is the Hunting Horn. Using the Royal one(but Velkhana works too, same song list), you have a windproof song that trivializes the fight without any loss on skills. It's a great horn that also have Attack XL and Defense XL so it makes everything A LOT easier. On top of that the additional KOs from head hits help a lot since she doesn't stagger too much usually. Honestly the weapon really makes the fight easy if you're into HH. I'd recommend against any light weapons for lunastra since she has terrible HZVs so you need to tenderize but she's a bitch to tenderize to begin with so hitting it twice everytime sucks. Ranged weapons are fine though, bow is very good against her.

Yet another question about Affinity and DBs.

I have two weapons, one has 25% Affinity base on it and 300 Ice. Another weapon has 0% Affinity base and 360 Ice. Which one would be better in this case? I always roll with max critical eye. I am still not sure how all this is calculated. The game says there are max elemental and affinity limits, but no idea what those limits are.

Edit: I just saw pyros's note that elemental damage scales better, so I presume that's the route I go.
The best Ice DB is the Beotodus ones, which I guess are the ones you say are 0% 360. They're actually comparable to Safi weapons and one of the few options you can keep in that patch. Affinity is sometimes useful because it lets you replace crit eye by raw damage(like peak performance or resentment or more agitator or attack boost etc), but affinity caps at 100%, it's basically crit and past 100% you don't get additional crit dmg or anything, it's just wasted.

Yeah man, glad you mentioned that. I've been using Switch Axe (to be dmg), Gun Lance for when we need someone beefy to annoy, and I'm looking for range. LBG seemed like the thing to go for but the guides online outside of Arekkz Gaming stuff don't really show me much outside of "I'm shooting this guy a lot and making him walk into bombs."
I mean LBG is mostly point and shoot. I believe in IB you want to use evade reload on everything, which basically reloads everytime you do a double evade(just press twice to reload), but past that there's nothing too special about it, follow a meta build for gearing, all guns require Free elem(for the ammo part of it), gun mods tend to depend on the gun and ammo type you use, and the rest is just shoot at stuff, and sometimes press circle to drop the explosive mines things and then either use a melee attack(both buttons at the same time) or fire close to them to detonate them, or the monster can detonate them by hitting them too. That's about the whole of it, guns are very simple weapons, they just have a bunch of ammo types and builds but once you've selected one thing it's mostly just firing at stuff.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Between work, travel and kids my playtime has really slowed down the last couple of weeks. I"m on Rajang but have been fucking around with side questis for upgraded mantle and what not. One thing that is really pissing me off lately is why can't you meld more types of Gems? You can meld almost any item to help to speed up farming items but if you're optimal build takes 4 Challenger gems and you have just one then too fucking bad? It seems odd with how the game is to me and I think I probably wouldn't care if I had a bunch of other Gems that were useful but I have 1 attack gem, zero Crit gems, no spead, no shield, 1 defense, no ironwall. I mean what the fuck? But I have 10 Botany and 8 Wind Resistance gems so????

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Between work, travel and kids my playtime has really slowed down the last couple of weeks. I"m on Rajang but have been fucking around with side questis for upgraded mantle and what not. One thing that is really pissing me off lately is why can't you meld more types of Gems? You can meld almost any item to help to speed up farming items but if you're optimal build takes 4 Challenger gems and you have just one then too fucking bad? It seems odd with how the game is to me and I think I probably wouldn't care if I had a bunch of other Gems that were useful but I have 1 attack gem, zero Crit gems, no spead, no shield, 1 defense, no ironwall. I mean what the fuck? But I have 10 Botany and 8 Wind Resistance gems so????
Farm Steamworks during events and you'll get most of the basic gems, still will be missing a few though like mighty bow, mind's eye and guard up cause these aren't in the steel ticket pool, but you can get most of the stuff done that way. Alternatively you can farm Laviasoth and/or Greatest Jagras event quests that drop a ton of decorations, mostly for the old ones though.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Farm Steamworks during events and you'll get most of the basic gems, still will be missing a few though like mighty bow, mind's eye and guard up cause these aren't in the steel ticket pool, but you can get most of the stuff done that way. Alternatively you can farm Laviasoth and/or Greatest Jagras event quests that drop a ton of decorations, mostly for the old ones though.

It's just odd how they made items easier to farm but then just said "fuck it" on gems?

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

This always pissed me off. I am not sure why you cannot farm gems you want, either via quests or static drops on monsters. It could have easily been scalable as well with rank of said monster.

• 1Worf

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It's just odd how they made items easier to farm but then just said "fuck it" on gems?

Always gotta hunt for something.

In all honesty if you are running tempered elders a lot and 500 hours deep you end up with every decoration more or less.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Always gotta hunt for something.

In all honesty if you are running tempered elders a lot and 500 hours deep you end up with every decoration more or less.

Hah, I probably have 500 hours at this point. Not sure if it's in actual play time as I leave it running a lot when I wonder off to do other stuff around the house. I also suck at this game but for whatever reason it doesn't annoy me enough to just stop playing.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Hah, I probably have 500 hours at this point. Not sure if it's in actual play time as I leave it running a lot when I wonder off to do other stuff around the house. I also suck at this game but for whatever reason it doesn't annoy me enough to just stop playing.

I farmed that great jagras event and got 40 decos every go, that shit pretty much stocked me up of decos forever.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I'll look at the Great Jagras event. Finally got to play a bit last night and decided to do the Zinogre event and finish making my Teostra 3 piece. I can make the Zinogre HBG which looks pretty strong, no?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'll look at the Great Jagras event. Finally got to play a bit last night and decided to do the Zinogre event and finish making my Teostra 3 piece. I can make the Zinogre HBG which looks pretty strong, no?

Zinogre HBG is what I use most of the time. I dig it. Critical gems you will need though are Spread and Guard up. You can wing it with WEX/Crit Eye and some others.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Zinogre HBG is what I use most of the time. I dig it. Critical gems you will need though are Spread and Guard up. You can wing it with WEX/Crit Eye and some others.

Yeah, see this is where it gets bullshit. I might have one Spread but I don't think I have any guard. How can there be so many worthless gems? Lame.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, see this is where it gets bullshit. I might have one Spread but I don't think I have any guard. How can there be so many worthless gems? Lame.
You only need Guard Up against specific monsters, and only against specific attacks of said monsters. It is really annoying trying to do some of them without(Velkhana for example fucking sucks), but some it kinda doesn't matter(Teostra has 2 attacks that go through but both can easily be avoided even with shitty HBG rolls and sheathe speed). You can also technically build Guard Up via 2pc Uragaan, which if you use the 2 good parts(I want to say belt and gloves but not 100% sure), means you also double it up as Guard 4 and decent sockets, so you don't lose THAT much from it. It's restrictive, but it would only be for the few monsters you want it on. It isn't really too different otherwise than fighting the monster with one of the many classes that don't block to begin with, have to dodge that shit.

And if you meant normal Guard, not Guard Up, you can get a charm for Guard 5(when fully upgraded), which is what pretty much every build that wants Guard 5 runs, cause it's super efficient to have everything on one slot. Guard decos are kinda meh, although if you do the Uragaan 2pc stuff you do want one for Guard 5, or a lvl 4 with guard(which are a lot more common than the actual guard, although if you farm steamworks you can get 5 guard decos pretty easily, they're actually pretty common from silver tickets).

Pretty much everything can be worked around, it's not as efficient as having the perfect decorations, but most people don't have the perfect decos anyway. Worst case if you're on PC you can always just cheat and get them all if you really hate the idea of not having them. There's just not a whole lot to do once you have all decos once you've cleared most of the basic stuff though since deco farming is the "endgame", once you're done with armor/weapons/charms, all that's left is farming tempered monsters for decorations. Although I guess with Safi you have a bunch of endgame farming to do to get the right weapons too.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Also I use Zinogre Hbg over the Safi one because the Zinogre one just looks so badass.

DGF if Safi is more efficient. It looks stupid.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Gems/Talismans are much better then they use to be belive me .... Nothing like having too make characters at certain days of the week/during certain times in Japan for Frontier/3/3U

• 1Like