Monster Hunter: World

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
Charge blade is life.

Makes the gameplay very intense, running tank/dps together. Stacking my gear to pump phial damage/charge and having the a wonderful time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The skull only appears if you have max tracking level on a monster. So 3 stars at the ecology guy. Also shows when they are hungry, it's a mini deviljho head doing a chomping motion.
I've seen the skull on my first kill of all the monsters during the story so far.
Edit: It's scoutfly tracking level 3, not the research stars at ecology guy.

Last edited:

Leadaas

Dindu Nuffin
Really enjoying this so far, pretty annoyed with myself that I never bothered playing one of these games before. What’s the end game like, just grinding gear from super monsters or is there larger group/raid events? PSN is Beem-187 character name is Leadaas, I’m taking this slow so if any other filthy casuals need a partner to farm stuff hit me up.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Really enjoying this so far, pretty annoyed with myself that I never bothered playing one of these games before. What’s the end game like, just grinding gear from super monsters or is there larger group/raid events? PSN is Beem-187 character name is Leadaas, I’m taking this slow so if any other filthy casuals need a partner to farm stuff hit me up.

4 ppl are max, but monster HP/ATK scales with more people in the hunt, the only hunts that require more then 4 people are in Frontier sadly, all variants of Raviente are a 25-30 person hunt(and split up into about 8 different hunts total)

I will say this though, It seems that they have left it open for a Raviente hunt in World(don't hold your breath on this statement, but the 20 person online hubs is very curios)

• 1Like

Vorph

On the topic of traps, what's the deal with shock vs. pitfall? My understanding was that in previous games shock traps could be used in water, but they definitely cannot in World. I just had to kill a Jyura because it went back to its 'nest' and not only couldn't I drop a shock trap where it was laying, I couldn't even use one on the tiny islands nearby. Would a pitfall trap have worked? I've only used one of those so far, to trap the Anjanath.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Some monsters when enraged gain immunity against certain types of traps(Rajang is a good example of this), hence why 2 different kinds, and ya a pitfall would have worked there.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
On the topic of traps, what's the deal with shock vs. pitfall? My understanding was that in previous games shock traps could be used in water, but they definitely cannot in World. I just had to kill a Jyura because it went back to its 'nest' and not only couldn't I drop a shock trap where it was laying, I couldn't even use one on the tiny islands nearby. Would a pitfall trap have worked? I've only used one of those so far, to trap the Anjanath.

I was able to drop the shock trap in that swamp nest it goes to without a problem. Maybe it bugged out?

Vorph

That's possible. Wouldn't be the first time I had issues with dropping a trap. The tobi-kadachi nest wouldn't let me drop a trap in the center part that looks kind of like a net. Had to move to the edge and drop it there to get it to work.

Therage

Vyemm Raider
Damn I must be doing this wrong. I haven't upgraded a piece of armor yet all game and just killed anj last night before bed. Was thinking I should save the armor upgrades for better gear. That not the right choice?

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Damn I must be doing this wrong. I haven't upgraded a piece of armor yet all game and just killed anj last night before bed. Was thinking I should save the armor upgrades for better gear. That not the right choice?

Eh if you're relatively good at not taking damage it's not a big deal. I'm still wearing unupgraded bone armor and I'm in rotten vale, but most sets I can forge at the moment don't give as good of perks so I've been hoarding parts and spheres while I decide what to do next.

They are, by 20 hours in you have only seen 1/3rd

Hope so! I just got to rotten vale an am about 17 hours in.

edit: Just saw it branched out! woo.

Last edited:

Vorph

You'll soon start getting armor sphere+ from bounties, which are 5x the upgrade points of the plain ones. No reason not to upgrade imo, provided you stay on top of bounties after each expedition. I try to complete 5-6 every time I return, which is pretty easy except when the list gets clogged up with ______ wyvern hunt ones.

Therage

Vyemm Raider
Yea I need to do those too I suppose. Been just questing at the moment since I've had to work everyday since launch lol.

Now time to grind a bunch of quests out and practice capturing!

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
One of my Tailraider Safari's returned with a Sinister Cloth, went to the Smithy and it seems this material makes the Death Scent armor set, and also for the Palico; of course it makes the cat look like a grim reaper, lol.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
The first monster I had any trouble with at all was Kirin (which seems immune to capture) and the monster I'm battling now, which is the Pink Rathian.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Kirin is an elder dragon, they cannot be trapped or captured. Pink Rath is just a pain in the ass.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I find it kind of funny that the story in this game revolves around the Commission/Guild/Fleets being unable to find a dragon thats the size of a mountain and leaks magma everywhere it goes.

• 1Worf

skylan

Trakanon Raider
I've played maybe 3 hours and I'm having a lot of fun, but confused as hell... Maybe someone could answer a few of these questions, I'm guessing this is all basic stuff but I'm struggling with it.

1) How do I tell when a food buff that I order at the canteen wears off?
2) Not in love with the combat but I may be figuring it out. With the bow for instance, it looks like you have to always point your character in the right direction when using a special move , O + Triangle for example? I'm used to FPS where you can select aim first and adjust your character's direction. A lot of times my camera is on the monster but my guy starts pew pew'ing a tree in the opposite direction.
3) Are coatings basically just switching your ammo type ? I see all these different ammos in my chest in my room but don't have access to them out on a hunt, do I need to transfer the special ammos to my pouch before going out? How long does a coating last, and is it possible to see the buff status somewhere like with the canteen food?
4) When talking to the guy at the forge, there's a "customize XXX(bowgun, maybe?)". How do I use this thing? Does it replace the slinger or something?
5) Picking up all the animal tracks, slimes, etc.. Is it worth it to keep "collecting" these , like does it incrementally unlock secrets about the monster? Would it make sense to go track the shit out of something and then go back and load up on the appropriate gear back home?

Thanks, newb stuff I know.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Loving this game, enormously. Can't believe I'd never played one of these before, and was on the fence about playing this one after beta. Like a fucking idiot, I didn't realize there was another "tier" of armor/weapons, and I've been going shit crazy forging every piece of every armor set I unlock while I probably should have been hoarding away the mats. Anyone far enough in, how close to the end of the campaign am I? Switch Axe and LBG are fun as fuck

["Just killed Legiana so my airship can keep going further down"]

• 1Solidarity