Monster Hunter: World

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Why do I keep getting bullshit Investigation Unlocked when I can never see any investigation quests in the quest list? Its always grayed out. Do I have to continue the main story a lot to get there?

ZyyzYzzy ZyyzYzzy I want to do a bunch of captures soon but I need to farm up a ton of shock traps and tranquilizer crap. You down?

Investigations can be found where you get your bounties. You have to accept them from there.

Does anyone have an actual, viable source that stats the scaling of monster HP? Is the monster's HP either solo or group? Or is it solo, 2 person group, 3 person group, and full group? I've only heard hearsay so far and it seems back and forth with the answers I've found.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Investigations can be found where you get your bounties. You have to accept them from there.

Does anyone have an actual, viable source that stats the scaling of monster HP? Is the monster's HP either solo or group? Or is it solo, 2 person group, 3 person group, and full group? I've only heard hearsay so far and it seems back and forth with the answers I've found.

Ok TY.

So, I also maxed out doodles for the Grimalkins in the Wildspire. Why can't I find them yet?

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
So before I actually get into the game, is there anything that I need to know about killing early mobs for loot that I can never come back and get? Things like cutting off tails in Dark Souls which you only had one shot at.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So before I actually get into the game, is there anything that I need to know about killing early mobs for loot that I can never come back and get? Things like cutting off tails in Dark Souls which you only had one shot at.

You can return to any area and hunt as much as you like.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

As far as I can tell, Ive been able to go back to every single area that I was in except for the introduction to movement tutorial where you're on the back of whatever the fk his name is in the beginning. Hell, you may be able to go back to that at one point and I just havent got there yet.

I currently can only join like one out of all my friends that play this game because I havent blasted through the game, so thats a bit annoying. Was hoping you could just join anyone at any point, ala Expedition. Is anyone else that isnt constantly duoing running into this? Im in the Wastes, but some guys are wayyyy the fk ahead.

I still dont know how to capture. Though the Bow is definitely easy-mode. Especially when you have a bow with the element that the monster is weak too.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
As far as I can tell, Ive been able to go back to every single area that I was in except for the introduction to movement tutorial where you're on the back of whatever the fk his name is in the beginning. Hell, you may be able to go back to that at one point and I just havent got there yet.

I currently can only join like one out of all my friends that play this game because I havent blasted through the game, so thats a bit annoying. Was hoping you could just join anyone at any point, ala Expedition. Is anyone else that isnt constantly duoing running into this? Im in the Wastes, but some guys are wayyyy the fk ahead.

I still dont know how to capture. Though the Bow is definitely easy-mode. Especially when you have a bow with the element that the monster is weak too.

Capturing wait for the Monster to limp heavily when you see it walking away. They also drool a lot when in the weakened state. When this becomes apparent follow it around for awhile. If you have the ghillie suit, just put that on and run past it then drop a shock trap right in front of it. When it is shocked spam tranquilizer bombs near its face until it triggers the capture sequence.

It really needs to be in the weakened state though. Took me like 5 failures before I figured out what I was looking for. The capture missions give you 8 tranq bombs and 1 shock trap.

I've been fucking around a lot so I am only on the Anjanath mission.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
I can’t settle on a weapon. I know anything is good but I don’t want to waste mid tier materials on weapons I won’t use as much. Started off with the sword and shield and it was good. Tried the long sword and it felt better. Last night the greatsword was a blast when I was just doing expedition stuff. I want to like the hammer but not being able to slice off parts with it makes me shy away.

Anyways, I have an inability to pick a weapon I want to stick with. Hope I’m not the only one being indecisive?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I can’t settle on a weapon. I know anything is good but I don’t want to waste mid tier materials on weapons I won’t use as much. Started off with the sword and shield and it was good. Tried the long sword and it felt better. Last night the greatsword was a blast when I was just doing expedition stuff. I want to like the hammer but not being able to slice off parts with it makes me shy away.

Anyways, I have an inability to pick a weapon I want to stick with. Hope I’m not the only one being indecisive?

It's pretty easy to keep most of them on par and your main one just a bit better. Hammer is awesome though because KOing a monster with a golf swing is so satisfying.

Also Pro Tip: Since I just learned how to manage investigations keep 6 bounties active at all times as you will complete them doing fuck all and not realize it. Mad Armor Spheres.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

You won’t waste mats. You can always downgrade your weapon and get them back to upgrade something else or choose a different tree of your current weapon.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Knowing when to capture is really simple: there's a flashing white skull over the monster's icon on your minimap. You don't need to worry about limping, drooling, or anything else.

You won’t waste mats. You can always downgrade your weapon and get them back to upgrade something else or choose a different tree of your current weapon.
Not entirely true, there are upgrade paths that will tell you they are permanent. Like I upgraded my charge blade to the Jagras path and I had to make a new bone one in order to max it out along the normal bone path instead when I finally got the mats for that.

Hammer can break heads and shells though, and monsters tend to have 2-5 head/shell areas but only one tail. Only a few weapons can do both break and sever effectively afaik. If there's ever a boss that absolutely requires you to sever a tail to get a particular material then you may need to find a dedicated weapon for that, something like a lance or a longsword or maybe the greatsword if you can tolerate whiffing over and over every time the monster moves while you're spending half an hour charging your swing.

As for weapons, charge blade seems to be considerably stronger than any other melee weapon in the game, but the series of combos* to set up Super Amped Elemental Discharge took me forever to get the hang of (and it makes CONSTANT use of circle+triangle which is the exact opposite of what I wanted in a weapon). Also, despite its name, pretty much all the damage it does is impact so I have only ever cut a tail a couple times fighting Barroth. On the flip side, it does so goddamn much impact damage that you will easily break every head/shell location without even trying.

I really want a good ranged weapon as a backup too, but those I can't decide on. Light bowgun is too weak except when you place three wyvernblasts under the enemy, heavy bowgun becomes infuriating if you ever miss a sniper shot, and I haven't actually tried the bow yet because people were saying it is basically a melee weapon if you use it the most effective way. Going to give it a shot today anyway though.

* - If anyone wants to know the exact sequence, here it is:
Hold ⭕, +⭕, hold ⭕. [Now you have a red sword]
R2+⭕, +⭕, +⭕, cancel with R2. [This moves the sword energy into 5 phials, then immediately empties the phials into your shield to make it glow red instead]
Now repeat the whole thing again, except this time don't cancel at the very end. The last +⭕ will be Super Amped Elemental Discharge. You shield stays red for about 90 seconds, so all you have to do is repeatedly charge the sword red -> convert it to 5 phials -> SAED.

For the hold-O moves, make sure to release the button the moment your sword flashes red. If you hold too long it does a weak attack.

Also, R2 is the default but imo the first thing anyone should do upon starting MHW the first time is swap L1/R1 and L2/R2 in settings.

If you want to see all this in video form, this is the one I watched to finally get the whole process to make sense:

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Not entirely true, there are upgrade paths that will tell you they are permanent. Like I upgraded my charge blade to the Jagras path and I had to make a new bone one in order to max it out along the normal bone path instead when I finally got the mats for that.

Right, sorry. Thanks for the clarification.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So on the first Anjanath fight. Is it normal for that faggot to basically instant gib you? He's killed me from full health several times in one hit. Using Jyunda armor or whatever its called.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
So on the first Anjanath fight. Is it normal for that faggot to basically instant gib you? He's killed me from full health several times in one hit. Using Jyunda armor or whatever its called.

Is he hitting you with fire attacks and your armor has negative fire resists?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Is he hitting you with fire attacks and your armor has negative fire resists?

I've never been hit by his fire attacks. Do his regular attacks count as fire also?

Its literally just a chomp from around a corner and I'm dead. Not even the one that grabs you.