Monster Hunter: World

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Alright so I'm making some progress. A couple of weeks ago I made a post about struggling with some monsters, figuring out the Insect Glaive, etc. Flash Pods were mentioned, and now I'm all over that. I've got the hang of the Glaive; I'm able to get my buffs up pretty quickly, staying on the ground unless I'm pretty sure I can mount, etc.

I'm up to the part in the story where I've just killed Nerg and I've got the three elder dragon quests unlocked. Gearwise I'm using all Pukei alpha armor and a Kadachi Pillar II glaive. I just need another claw (I think) from Nerg to upgrade to the final weapon in the tree. I haven't replaced the Pukei armor because so far, it's served me well and I didn't want to "waste" materials on armor that I may or may not need.

I've soloed everything in my story since the last time I posted, with the exception of Nerg. Couple of my buddies were online and wanted to help my brother and I kill Nerg, since we had the quest at the same time. My buddies raped him, and I felt pretty useless except for mounting and knocking him down once. I went back today to try and kill him and get another claw for my weapon. I keep getting my ass handed to me. I fought him for about two hours before I gave up. If he headbutts me, he finishes me up with a slam move. If I get hit by the dive-thingy, it's pretty much over. I've read people talking about how to avoid the dive, I just haven't quite mastered it yet. Seems like if I roll away too soon he'll change direction and slam me anyway.

I figure it's time for some new armor. I'm planning to make a set of the Odagaron armor, but I'm not sure if I should make the alpha or the beta. I don't really have many good decorations, so I've got to think Alpha is the way to go for now. But again, I don't want to "waste" my mats. Any advice would be welcome. Additionally, I'm curious if I'll need to craft resist sets for these three elder dragons that I'm set to face. Thanks bros.

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
I figure it's time for some new armor. I'm planning to make a set of the Odagaron armor, but I'm not sure if I should make the alpha or the beta. I don't really have many good decorations, so I've got to think Alpha is the way to go for now. But again, I don't want to "waste" my mats. Any advice would be welcome. Additionally, I'm curious if I'll need to craft resist sets for these three elder dragons that I'm set to face. Thanks bros.

I did Beta armor 95% of the time. You can craft all of the ele resist decorations from the Melder so I wouldn't waste time/mats on resists on gear pieces. Also, the only Elder (non-Tempered) dragon I would worry about resists on is Teostra, but even then I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just bring flash pods and fight on Vitality boosters and you can pretty much face tank (under) him.

Edit: Oh..Vaal Hazak forgot about that bitch...eventually you need to be full Effluvia resist with gear/gems as it makes life so much easier.

Last edited:

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Since an armor set ability maxes out at 3 pieces, is there any point to wearing more than 3 pieces of a set? Is it then ideal to wear 3 pieces from one set, and 2 from another to maximize abilities?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
Frenzied - imo only a few of the 2 piece bonuses are good, but if you are elder farming and use Rathalos 2pc and stack elemental it makes whatever 3 piece that much better when you can crit that much harder

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Nope, Capcom Twitter just posted that they are talking about Deviljho on the 14th (13th in US time). So maybe not until the end of the month or next month?

• 1Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I got my attack decoration on my second Nergigante kill when after getting the quest to kill him. I been trying to get a guard or guard up decoration for my tanky build but not having any luck. So I decided to check my hours played for the first time and I was expecting it to be around 80 hours or so invested. Nope I'm at 173 hours and I play it casually. I can't believe I played that much and I still have so much solo kills to accomplish.

italica

Trakanon Raider
Alright so I'm making some progress. A couple of weeks ago I made a post about struggling with some monsters, figuring out the Insect Glaive, etc. Flash Pods were mentioned, and now I'm all over that. I've got the hang of the Glaive; I'm able to get my buffs up pretty quickly, staying on the ground unless I'm pretty sure I can mount, etc.

I'm up to the part in the story where I've just killed Nerg and I've got the three elder dragon quests unlocked. Gearwise I'm using all Pukei alpha armor and a Kadachi Pillar II glaive. I just need another claw (I think) from Nerg to upgrade to the final weapon in the tree. I haven't replaced the Pukei armor because so far, it's served me well and I didn't want to "waste" materials on armor that I may or may not need.

I've soloed everything in my story since the last time I posted, with the exception of Nerg. Couple of my buddies were online and wanted to help my brother and I kill Nerg, since we had the quest at the same time. My buddies raped him, and I felt pretty useless except for mounting and knocking him down once. I went back today to try and kill him and get another claw for my weapon. I keep getting my ass handed to me. I fought him for about two hours before I gave up. If he headbutts me, he finishes me up with a slam move. If I get hit by the dive-thingy, it's pretty much over. I've read people talking about how to avoid the dive, I just haven't quite mastered it yet. Seems like if I roll away too soon he'll change direction and slam me anyway.

I mostly wear this set with Insect Glaive. Might be better options, but it is super hard to play IG without Earplugs after having it for a while. It's too good being immune to monster roars that would otherwise knock you out of the air and shit.
vksd8im6bah01.jpg

• 1Like

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ok so yeah, can someone give me a good new player guide on this beast. I'm playing with my brother and I'm just barely past the intro, I think the second quest. All I want to know is the bigger concept stuff of killing shit. So far it seems like:
1. L2P noob - Figure out weapon combos and dodge
2. Keep your weapon sharp? Is that a big deal?
3. Weapon choice... I just wanna specialize in ONE for now and work off that. So I picked the Katana thing, long sword

I get the basic idea of quest, kill, loot, turn in for more gear. Beyond that I'm lost. Is there min maxing in stats? Armor I have no idea. I think I saw weapon affinity. A zillion things but I'm really looking for the bigger impact stuff of actual combat so I'm not overwhelmed.

Oh also I saw him jump on somethings back that looked fun. I also see you can chop off things like a tail, sweet.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Ok so yeah, can someone give me a good new player guide on this beast. I'm playing with my brother and I'm just barely past the intro, I think the second quest. All I want to know is the bigger concept stuff of killing shit. So far it seems like:
1. L2P noob - Figure out weapon combos and dodge
2. Keep your weapon sharp? Is that a big deal?
3. Weapon choice... I just wanna specialize in ONE for now and work off that. So I picked the Katana thing, long sword

I get the basic idea of quest, kill, loot, turn in for more gear. Beyond that I'm lost. Is there min maxing in stats? Armor I have no idea. I think I saw weapon affinity. A zillion things but I'm really looking for the bigger impact stuff of actual combat so I'm not overwhelmed.

Oh also I saw him jump on somethings back that looked fun. I also see you can chop off things like a tail, sweet.

1. Yes, weapons are all different?
2. Sharpness is a damage multiplier, you want to keep it as sharp as possible. White (highest) is 1.5x or something and then Blue is 1.2x and so on. Once you get below 1x you will be doing way less damage.

Min maxing is in skills/set bonuses/stats and everything. It is a very technical game overall and a lot of stuff you can min max to become more effective.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Right all weapons are different but is it a playstyle preference or are say hammers better vrs certain types of monsters, swords others.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Right all weapons are different but is it a playstyle preference or are say hammers better vrs certain types of monsters, swords others.

I am not sure of your question exactly other than sharpness bro! lol.

Arekkz and GainjinHunter on youtube have the best guides to follow for general stuff.

• 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider

It's complete preference. Every weapon is good enough to complete all content and if you aren't bad you can kill everything regardless of what you equip though some will trivialize encounters - lance with diablos for example.

In the scheme of things though it goes Skill > Gear/Weapon/Decos so get good and have fun.

• 1Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Right all weapons are different but is it a play style preference or are say hammers better vrs certain types of monsters, swords others.
Some weapons are better for certain monsters but you can kill any monster with any weapon. I prefer using my bow when fighting Kirin and Xeno and my lance for everything else. You just have to get good with that weapon and learn the monsters patterns and attacks. You're gonna die a lot but once you figure them out it gets easy. Just practice and practice.

I was finally able to solo kill Nergigante and now he's finally on farm status after I got my guard up to level 5. Lance with a level guard 5 you're invincible to his 1 shot kill dive attacks and to almost every other monster attack.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Some weapons are better for certain monsters but you can kill any monster with any weapon. I prefer using my bow when fighting Kirin and Xeno and my lance for everything else. You just have to get good with that weapon and learn the monsters patterns and attacks. You're gonna die a lot but once you figure them out it gets easy. Just practice and practice.

I was finally able to solo kill Nergigante and now he's finally on farm status after I got my guard up to level 5. Lance with a level guard 5 you're invincible to his 1 shot kill dive attacks and to almost every other monster attack.
Uh you just need guard 3, and/or guard up and you can block anything.

G5 is a waste