Monster Hunter: World

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Game is going to be so fucking amazing. Its such a god damn shame the PC and next gen haven't seen this title until now (soon). This series is 100% one of my absolute favorites. Exceptionally rewarding.

I was coming to post these videos. They seem to have minimized a few of the super obtuse features, The visuals and a full size controller in my hand. The dream.

Last edited:

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
This is a pretty big gamble by Capcom. Monster Hunter is one of their few consistently successful franchises and betting so hard on Western adoption could end up hurting them - the most recent games have sold decent in the West but that was with Nintendo doing a lot of the marketing. PC/PS4 is a pretty small audience in Japan so it needs to be more successful in the West than any MH title has ever been to justify tying up your main MH dev team for 4 years on.

Looks good so far to me as an MH fan.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Thank god they are getting off shitty Nintendo hardware. How people tolerated playing this on 240p 3DS screens is beyond me.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Looks good to me as someone who's never gotten more than a few hours into any previous MH (mainly due to the platforms they've been on) too. Sucks the PC version is "sometime" after the console release, but I guess it'll work to rent it on PS4 to see if I actually like the gameplay enough to buy it on PC.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Thank god they are getting off shitty Nintendo hardware. How people tolerated playing this on 240p 3DS screens is beyond me.

There will still be games on the Switch, if they want to keep the Japanese market at least, which has what's been driving MH sales.

3DS wasn't great hardware compared to Vita, but Capcom has always chosen the hardware with the most sales. Sony torpedoed their own device with poor first party support and proprietary memory cards.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm definitely happy I'll be able to enjoy it on a real console though, even Switch would have been fine but playing action games on the 3DS is fucking annoying if you play for more than like an hour. I'll definitely grab it on PS4 or PC if the release date isn't too far behind.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
There will still be games on the Switch, if they want to keep the Japanese market at least, which has what's been driving MH sales.

3DS wasn't great hardware compared to Vita, but Capcom has always chosen the hardware with the most sales. Sony torpedoed their own device with poor first party support and proprietary memory cards.

Yeah I get all that but as of right now we are getting a proper console version of the game.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
This is a pretty big gamble by Capcom. Monster Hunter is one of their few consistently successful franchises and betting so hard on Western adoption could end up hurting them - the most recent games have sold decent in the West but that was with Nintendo doing a lot of the marketing. PC/PS4 is a pretty small audience in Japan so it needs to be more successful in the West than any MH title has ever been to justify tying up your main MH dev team for 4 years on.

Looks good so far to me as an MH fan.

I don't think its near the gamble you suggest. For two reasons. XX is on the switch and handheld, I know they aren't main line games but there has been consistent titles to keep the addiction alive. The Japanese market hasn't been waiting for monster hunter games. Not to mention the monster hunter stories side projects (anime/game), and the insane amount of merchandise that stretches across the monster hunter universe. Plushies, Models, etc etc etc. I think Japan is so hooked, that they will 100% buy ps4's(TV's) to play this game. It has driven hardware sales in Japan as a franchise. Additionally, when it comes to the West, I think that Steam gives Capcom a great deal of optimism. Multiplayer titles really do well on PC when they are best in class. Monster Hunter World will definitely be the pinnacle PC big monster hunting game.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I don't think its near the gamble you suggest. For two reasons. XX is on the switch and handheld, I know they aren't main line games but there has been consistent titles to keep the addiction alive. The Japanese market hasn't been waiting for monster hunter games. Not to mention the monster hunter stories side projects (anime/game), and the insane amount of merchandise that stretches across the monster hunter universe. Plushies, Models, etc etc etc. I think Japan is so hooked, that they will 100% buy ps4's(TV's) to play this game. It has driven hardware sales in Japan as a franchise. Additionally, when it comes to the West, I think that Steam gives Capcom a great deal of optimism. Multiplayer titles really do well on PC when they are best in class. Monster Hunter World will definitely be the pinnacle PC big monster hunting game.

To sort of piggyback off this, Dragon Quest 11 came out recently in Japan and has sold better on PS4 than in comparison to the 3DS version of the game. I get that MH is a big co-op game in Japan while DQ is a single player RPG but it did boost PS4 sales, we could see the same thing with World.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Monster hunter back on a real console *huzzah* as someone who played XX already I'm glad there skipping it for a Western Release, it won't sell all that great in the West(the additional content is very minimal), albeit the fight against Atoraru Ka Is fun(at least once, fucking annoying after that.)

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
So fucking hyped. I have 150+ hours on each of 3U 4U and Generations. With all of these cool monster on monster interactions, they need to bring Deviljho back. I want to see him go on a murderous rampage, killing everything on the map and eating them.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Btw since I haven't really played MH before, what are the restrictions on changing weapons? Is it just a matter of having the materials to craft a decent tier weapon of another type, or is there some sort of skill specific to weapons so you'd have to go back and hunt some early shit to use a new weapon? A bunch of these weapons look cool to me so I'd like to try various playstyles, just wondering if I can just switch freely.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Btw since I haven't really played MH before, what are the restrictions on changing weapons? Is it just a matter of having the materials to craft a decent tier weapon of another type, or is there some sort of skill specific to weapons so you'd have to go back and hunt some early shit to use a new weapon? A bunch of these weapons look cool to me so I'd like to try various playstyles, just wondering if I can just switch freely.

This title is the "next" generation of Monster Hunter, we are not sure excalty what they are changing as far as the upgrade system goes for weapons etc etc, but like the ability to have people "drop" into hunts weapon switching is now doable at "camping" spots around the map(this includes weapons/skills/palico stuff). farming upgrade's early on is pretty easy, usually just Ore and zenny for the earlier ones(later you'll be able to get "caravans" too send out too farm for you.).

My monsters that must come back, Stygian Zinogre, Chaos Gore Magala, Shagura Magala, Diablos(All 3 versions, please let there be Special Permit Versions), Monoblos(both versions), TigerX(Grimclaw version is meh but normal and brutal a must), Savage Deviljho

Last edited:

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Hoping they have a G rank or similar difficulty level. Go big or go home.

Considering this is Capcom, has anyone heard about MH:W showing up on Steam? Would help attract a lot more players if so.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I'd assume it's coming to Steam, Dragon's Dogma was so World should show up there too.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Hoping they have a G rank or similar difficulty level. Go big or go home.

Considering this is Capcom, has anyone heard about MH:W showing up on Steam? Would help attract a lot more players if so.

If any trailer contains a snippet of Diablos, then there will be G-rank, he is one of the key monsters for that rank.

• 1SJW
Reactions: 1 user