Monster Hunter: World

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Janx Janx Brahma Brahma taking a break until Rajang patch, pretty much have the decos for the builds I want. Did the rank 200 quest and have all the unlocks, only thing left to do now is farm decos and make all the elemental builds for Bow. Seeing as how I don’t want to play bow anymore just going to call it for a bit.
Tried insect glaive and seems like a pointless weapon and overly complicated not to mention unreliable l, getting orange buff works like 1 out of 10 attempts. If aerial attacks were the bread and butter I would stick it out but having to do ground attacks for efficiency I bounced off it.

Mastered HBG, Bow, Hammer, and SnS. I understand and are mediocre at Greatsword, Dual Blades and Gunlance.
Next weapon I pick up will either be longsword or switch axe. Apparently there is a status support build for Switchaxe that exhausts and stuns fairly often while doing decent damage.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
So I bought this when it first came out and had barely touched any MH handhelds before, so everything was pretty new. I’ve played like every RPG action combat game imaginable though so it’s not too difficult to wrap my head around. That being said, my original save file was only 7 hrs played and very much so in the beginning stages and coming back to it now I am completely overwhelmed. I figured out some basics, how to craft and manage inventory, sell unwanted gear, how to forge new armor and weapons, etc. I still don’t really have any clue as to what stats are ‘better’ than what or what any of the stats actually mean and it doesn’t seem to be explained. I just see green numbers that are higher and take that as an upgrade. I understand weapon type differences though, that just because a great sword has a giant number and dual blades are low doesn’t automatically make the great sword superior since it depends on play style. I have no idea about the other shit though. Trying to wrap my head around the elemental stats and defense stats but I think I’m too early to really see any effect in actual play from any of that stuff, I don’t see any elemental stuff yet really unless I’m completely missing it.

The game is fun at its core, but I’m struggling to find a weapon or combat style that really makes me want to play it more. Everything so far feels like it has too much of a delay or pause between moves or too much forced movement and I’m stuck in the animation for too long. Going to try literally every weapon type and see if something feels really good. The glaive is cool so far, getting kind of boring though as it feels like the same 3 spin attacks or whatever over and over. I’m wondering if I’m cheating myself by not trying it with Iceborne and all the changes that came with it as maybe I’m missing a big part of the new experience or something that would draw me further into the game.

This experience kind of reminds me Destiny, I feel bad for new players coming in at this point of the game because it’s an absolutely giant mountain of information and learning and figuring out tedious details yet very rewarding when you’ve accomplished the curve. Going to try and stick it out and try to learn as much as possible and see how far I get.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Hatorade Hatorade bro, if you have a few minutes tonight, just want to go over heavy bow gun tonite. Basics and build.

Easy. Guard V, 2x Shield 2x Close Up dmg boost, 1x recoil suppressor.

Spread/Power Shot Boost + 3, Release/Ammo Up +3. Critical Eye 7, Wex 3, Crit Boost 3. Guard up.

Royal Thunder and shotgun to victory. Key thing about guarding is that you don't have as much control of when you guard compared to Lance. If you are in ANY animation you are not guarding. Therefore you need to be aware of when you reload and when you fire because you can be hit during shots. Takes a bit of getting used to.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
So I bought this when it first came out and had barely touched any MH handhelds before, so everything was pretty new. I’ve played like every RPG action combat game imaginable though so it’s not too difficult to wrap my head around. That being said, my original save file was only 7 hrs played and very much so in the beginning stages and coming back to it now I am completely overwhelmed. I figured out some basics, how to craft and manage inventory, sell unwanted gear, how to forge new armor and weapons, etc. I still don’t really have any clue as to what stats are ‘better’ than what or what any of the stats actually mean and it doesn’t seem to be explained. I just see green numbers that are higher and take that as an upgrade. I understand weapon type differences though, that just because a great sword has a giant number and dual blades are low doesn’t automatically make the great sword superior since it depends on play style. I have no idea about the other shit though. Trying to wrap my head around the elemental stats and defense stats but I think I’m too early to really see any effect in actual play from any of that stuff, I don’t see any elemental stuff yet really unless I’m completely missing it.

The game is fun at its core, but I’m struggling to find a weapon or combat style that really makes me want to play it more. Everything so far feels like it has too much of a delay or pause between moves or too much forced movement and I’m stuck in the animation for too long. Going to try literally every weapon type and see if something feels really good. The glaive is cool so far, getting kind of boring though as it feels like the same 3 spin attacks or whatever over and over. I’m wondering if I’m cheating myself by not trying it with Iceborne and all the changes that came with it as maybe I’m missing a big part of the new experience or something that would draw me further into the game.

This experience kind of reminds me Destiny, I feel bad for new players coming in at this point of the game because it’s an absolutely giant mountain of information and learning and figuring out tedious details yet very rewarding when you’ve accomplished the curve. Going to try and stick it out and try to learn as much as possible and see how far I get.
Try longsword. Watch some videos too on the various weapons because they tend to have cool moves you wouldnt expect. There's a training you can access from your house cat in your room. If your on steam add some of the forum bros and play in a group.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

Well the game does have "weighty" combat, similar to Dark Souls, and not similar to more action oriented game. Meaning, most weapons do have attacks that will take 3+ seconds to resolve(either single hits or multi hits combos that can't be interupted) that are meant as risk heavy attacks that you want to use with proper timing during openings(most obvious are when the monsters get KOd/knocked down, but you can sometimes use them during some of the monster longer attacks too if you know the tells).

The fastest weapons would be:

• Dual Blades, fast strings of small attacks, with longer combos to use when there's openings, very high movement capabilities too with a lot of moves letting you move while attacking.
  • Sword and Shield, with the core combos being short one slash with infinite combos and possibilities to change facing near instantly, also has longer commitment attacks off their back hop(one of which is Iceborne only)
  • Insect Glaive, as you tested, mostly rotating the ground combos, can be "finished" with the circle jump attack with the high recovery after, has high mobility via jumps
  • Longsword kinda-ish, has a fairly long combo to charge up the bars but can be interupted at various points and can be skipped if you use counters instead, styles relies heavily on finding the right timing for counters so you can get punished pretty heavily
  • Lance, very fast pokes is the core of your attacks, usually poke x3 then hop to reset the pokes combo, with the ability to go into counter attacks or moving dashes that also block, don't really need to "avoid" much, mostly just stand there and counter/block everything the monster throws at you while you poke precisely where you want, can keep pressure up constantly on most monsters
  • Bow, constantly attacking while weaving dodge slides, requires good reflexes and to attain maximum output a lot of gear(mostly rare decorations for mighty bow and spread, can somewhat mitigate with gear but then you lose the option to use better gear).

Everything else is mostly medium or slow I'd say. Even within these fast weapons, there's plenty of slower moves that require careful use to not get caught. Imo that's the fun part of combat though, you can't just mash willy nilly you have to think carefully about what the monster is doing and what type of moves you have on your current weapons and how to properly react. Even slower weapons can generally play the poke game until you get a big opening to unleash hell. A lot of combat is running around to reposition and see what the monster is doing.

As for your issue with IG being boring, sadly that's going to be most weapons. At the core of the game most weapons "combos" are only 2-3 button strings and not much more. There's a large variety of moves for some weapons, and you'll use them situationally, but once you have an opening it's quite often simply button mash.

• 2Like

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
The Longsword I found to be the most fluid and fun but it's still basically 3 different combos over and over. I'm using the Charge Blade now and it seems more varied due to the phials but I still failed again on Velkhana last night.....

• 2Like

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is Iceborne easy to jump into on PC? You guys go back to PS or still on PC?

• 1Like

italica

Trakanon Raider
Is Iceborne easy to jump into on PC? You guys go back to PS or still on PC?

If you're fresh to PC they put in weapon/armor sets to help get through the base game in a fraction of the time. You won't have any decos when you hit IB which can suck but you won't spend 60 hours rebuilding armor/weapon sets that are made irrelevant in iceborne anyway.

Alternatively there's a few "100% base game" save files you can download out there if you want to skip it entirely. IB gave people 1 character and 1 palico appearance change voucher so you can fix your character how you want them if you go that route. I didn't go this route myself, it had been a while since I played so I used defender weapons to get back into the feel of the game / figure out what weapon I wanted to use at first.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Operation Monkey King...complete!

ddfdfdfd.jpg

• 1Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I have played NOTHING but dual blades and after the previous advice, I can say, eXarc eXarc that its definitely fast. THE fastest i don't know, but most of my hits on weak spots land in the 40-70 damage range near end game iceborne, so the damage numbers are way less, but you hit a lot more often.

Dual blades has a few fun moves when you master them makes you feel good, like sliding off a cliff and whirlwind spinning off the back of a rathian or something. There's a lot of things with it, but at the core not in demon stance, its mainly 2-3 moves, and in demon stance maybe 3-4 moves. I think most other weapons have special moves like this too but I've not played them so I don't know.

MHW combat is definitely slower. It's common to take a step back, dodge some telegraphs, and go in for some hits at the right time to avoid damage or a big hit (eg: being prepared for Nergagantes dive slam rather than just going nuts getting animation locked).

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
For whatever reason I'm really digging the lance. Killed Velkhana with my LS and probably about to kill Blackveil Vaal Hazack with my LS so not sure why I dig the lance but I do!

• 2Like

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
The lance is awesome when you get a feel for it. Attack three times, reposition/block, rinse repeat. The claw counter is great too. I haven’t played a ton of lance, but enough that it’s my “third” main weapon.

With the right gear and decorations, it feels unkillable. Sometimes when I’m playing it, I get really low and have to turtle until I’ve got a chance to sheathe the weapon and chug some potions. Other weapons don’t really have that luxury though. Admittedly I didn’t make a lance build until I could do the nergi and Val Hazak set bonuses. I do really like it though. For some of the harder quests I’ll take that instead of IG or HH, but my buddies qq when I’m not on HH.

• 1Like