Monsters and Memories (Project_N) - Old School Indie MMO

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Cool they wont wipe servers and consider this their real launch.

I wonder how the early game knowledge is going to come out. It won't be the same but since zones won't have maps we'll have to rely on autists mapping places out. I still remember using EQMAPS.com constantly back in the day.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider

I wonder how the early game knowledge is going to come out. It won't be the same but since zones won't have maps we'll have to rely on autists mapping places out. I still remember using EQMAPS.com constantly back in the day.
Hopefully their /loc command will be XYZ instead of YXZ

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.

Smart but also I hope they have stuff in place to catch plat dupes and the like besides gonna roll the server back 9 hours…

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I am glad that all my pvp brothers and sisters will have their own goofball island with me. The bluebies are safe.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Salt flats updated vfx lookin amazing, I can taste the salt breeze

Screenshot2024-03-04194451.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Siliconemelons

Going off on a slight tangent on visuals here.

There was a shift, in the PS1/PS2 N64 era, within the generation. Look at FF7 and FF8.

Look at this game, think of EQ og trilogy.

Think about playing old halflife 1 or OG counter strike, then the ones after, like source.

Graphics cannot BE real, even in VR - how we process visual vs reality is just different.

Textures, polys , items, buildings, all that - need to be more /representative/ of what they are, than 4k x 4k resolution each grain of sand is rendered in HDR with shadow blending... You can look at M&M castles and towns and desert etc. and you can see Ground-Wall-Tree-BadGuy-Water-River-Door easy, rather than something that is more "realistic full array of blended textures made from rayscaleing gods" where really, you cannot ID those items very well or quickly.

okay, rant maybe over... I have just noticed even here in M&M that as they "get good" the visuals are starting to teeter on this balance.

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE

There was a shift, in the PS1/PS2 N64 era, within the generation. Look at FF7 and FF8.

Think about playing old halflife 1 or OG counter strike, then the ones after, like source.

Graphics cannot BE real, even in VR - how we process visual vs reality is just different.

Textures, polys , items, buildings, all that - need to be more /representative/ of what they are, than 4k x 4k resolution each grain of sand is rendered in HDR with shadow blending... You can look at M&M castles and towns and desert etc. and you can see Ground-Wall-Tree-BadGuy-Water-River-Door easy, rather than something that is more "realistic full array of blended textures made from rayscaleing gods" where really, you cannot ID those items very well or quickly.

okay, rant maybe over... I have just noticed even here in M&M that as they "get good" the visuals are starting to teeter on this balance.

I think they have a good respect for this balance while having the right amount of individual talents on board to push the envelope a little bit with the environments. But then the character models gotta be up a peg or two also, which they're trending towards.

The "fit" of everything being cohesive is the hardest thing to pull off, whichever way you go. Luclin models running around in the EQ world is an example to learn from, still one of the biggest wtfs ever after how good (most of) the new Velious armors were.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>

A little "then vs now":

• 1Solidarity

Siliconemelons

I guess I am just ranting and going on /style/ and splitting hairs.... but this type of example... where, making things "more detailed" does not always quite to better.

FF7, all the characters are not textures - with few exceptions like barret's tattoo on his arm - what they are, are polygons with a gradient or color - as the PSX could render that without "giant pixle syndrome" - then we jump to FF8 with MORE DETAILED GRAPHIXX, but the look gets completely muddied vs even its predecessor - because I suppose its the "style"

Even the battle backgrounds and floor, FF7 is "less" but more representative, than FF8 that is "more" but looking effectively worse.

1714058005895.png

1714057924787.png

also ff8 sucks

• 1Like