Monsters and Memories (Project_N) - Old School Indie MMO

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
That rattlesnake better be kicking or thats a no from me

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
can someone please accelerate the development of a time machine so I can play this tonite?

Actually, I looked around to see if there was some way I could contribute to the project. I don't normally like to buy games in EA, and I've scoffed at the notion of funding games like Star Citizen and Pantheon, but this project really resonates and I was interested in providing support. I was impressed to find no donation links. Is this already fully funded? Or are Shawn and team just not accepting public money because they don't want to give the wrong impression or become hamstrung by donor opinions? Either way, kudos to the devs. Warp speed!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

forehead

Trakanon Raider
can someone please accelerate the development of a time machine so I can play this tonite?

Actually, I looked around to see if there was some way I could contribute to the project. I don't normally like to buy games in EA, and I've scoffed at the notion of funding games like Star Citizen and Pantheon, but this project really resonates and I was interested in providing support. I was impressed to find no donation links. Is this already fully funded? Or are Shawn and team just not accepting public money because they don't want to give the wrong impression or become hamstrung by donor opinions? Either way, kudos to the devs. Warp speed!
They are not accepting donations. They were initially hesitant to even offer merch but I think they may have some soon. You can ask them during a livestream or in Discord about their funding. I’m sure they will answer. Shawn is streaming right now.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider

Right now they're developing a proof-of-concept that can be used to seek funding.

• 1Like

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I mean, how much do they need? We haven't had a good Kickstarter in ages.

Let's do it!!

I think they're not sure if they want to crowdfund. If I remember correctly, they're more leaning towards planning to seek traditional-style funding and are considering selling merch as a way to generate funds from players, but haven't made a final decision yet. (I could definitely be wrong about this detail though, my memory is fuzzy on this one.)

By the way, if anyone here hasn't had the opportunity to drop by one of the streams yet, I highly recommend doing so. The team is very open to questions and tend to give concrete answers to anything that they currently have an answer to. Say you're from FoH too, they like us. ;)

• 1Like

forehead

Trakanon Raider
They've already said they want to have people in the game testing stuff this year. And you don't even have to donate $1000 and wait 8 years!

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Just give me something to throw money at! Kickstarter, tshirt, hats... I don't care. Whatever will help get this made asap.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I feel like they haven't really nailed the old school poly look yet, but I assume most of these assets are place holders?

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I feel like they haven't really nailed the old school poly look yet, but I assume most of these assets are place holders?

You can see the first passes of models in their most recent update on the website. Though not final, this is the direction they're going to go at this time so I would expect the final models to look similar. They've stated that the "old school" look will be coming from low poly and painted faces, but may use finer details in textures than what was available in '99 because this isn't just a remake of EQ, it's a new IP meant to stand on its own legs.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
You can see the first passes of models in their most recent update on the website. Though not final, this is the direction they're going to go at this time so I would expect the final models to look similar. They've stated that the "old school" look will be coming from low poly and painted faces, but may use finer details in textures than what was available in '99 because this isn't just a remake of EQ, it's a new IP meant to stand on its own legs.
I like it. Big ogre guy reminds me of Zelda OOT for some reason.

So is this game just going to be an EQ spiritual successor, or does it have some ideas of it's own? Because honestly, it's been to long for an EQ spiritual successor to really pull in anyone. It will need it's own unique features to be interesting to anyone I think.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I like it. Big ogre guy reminds me of Zelda OOT for some reason.

So is this game just going to be an EQ spiritual successor, or does it have some ideas of it's own? Because honestly, it's been to long for an EQ spiritual successor to really pull in anyone. It will need it's own unique features to be interesting to anyone I think.

They have not talked about groundbreaking features, and I don't think that's really their angle, but they have talked about expanding on features that were maybe underdeveloped back in the day (like factions). They're not necessarily trying to pull in a huge audience, but they believe that there are enough people looking for a "new EQ" to be financially viable to maintain for the long term.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
just received an update via the mailing list!
I would definitely buy a T shirt, Shawn!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

forehead

Trakanon Raider
just received an update via the mailing list!
I would definitely buy a T shirt, Shawn!

Oh wow. So that’s what a game update looks like when it’s actually in development and not a Ponzi scheme.

• 4Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 6 users

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Make no mistake, Shawn knows how to get shit done. This game will come out at some point. Pantheon? Who knows..

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Are they making combat at least a little bit more complex than EQ though? I'm all for slower paced combat but the idea of casting backstab ad infinitum doesn't get my juices flowing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users