Monsters and Memories (Project_N) - Old School Indie MMO

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
The fact that this looks like it's probably going to make it out is actually shocking to me.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
You know the funny thing is that these guys are doing exactly what I've preached for years that DBG should do with EverQuest; make new old content.

In the case of M&M, they are making new content for the first time, but it's in the vain of old content styles which is freaking awesome. Why DBG can't seem to figure out that people want this is beyond me. They keep regurgitating one TLP server after another, and if they just simply took the time to make a brand new expansion that had this old style content for a new TLP experience, they would sell like hot cakes. But... they are too busy milking that 20+ year old cow for all its worth.

Thank God someone is finally making this kind of game in this day and age.

• 6Like
  • 4Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
At first I thought the team were using EverQuest client to code their game like some sort of emulator. But then when I watched Shawn's videos of him editing the zone I realized they've managed to recreate EverQuest from scratch. I can't wait to play this game.

I'm now enjoying playing Embers Adrift which has a classic vibe to it but I'm sure Monsters and Memories are going to be my main game if it's released. Let's hope they manage to focus on making content and not get carried away with features.

I liked how Embers Adrift is bare-bones but at least they let you play it and support them while doing it. VR should really learn from this.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
At first I thought the team were using EverQuest client to code their game like some sort of emulator. But then when I watched Shawn's videos of him editing the zone I realized they've managed to recreate EverQuest from scratch. I can't wait to play this game.

I'm now enjoying playing Embers Adrift which has a classic vibe to it but I'm sure Monsters and Memories are going to be my main game if it's released. Let's hope they manage to focus on making content and not get carried away with features.

I liked how Embers Adrift is bare-bones but at least they let you play it and support them while doing it. VR should really learn from this.
Ali and Nick both hail from emulation communities. They're some of the most passionate people for older MMOs I've ever met, and I'm glad they're part of the team. I feel like this project is their wet dream and they're going all out on it.

It's amazing to see progress and not just hear about it. The entire M&M team understands that.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
You know the funny thing is that these guys are doing exactly what I've preached for years that DBG should do with EverQuest; make new old content.

In the case of M&M, they are making new content for the first time, but it's in the vain of old content styles which is freaking awesome. Why DBG can't seem to figure out that people want this is beyond me. They keep regurgitating one TLP server after another, and if they just simply took the time to make a brand new expansion that had this old style content for a new TLP experience, they would sell like hot cakes. But... they are too busy milking that 20+ year old cow for all its worth.

Thank God someone is finally making this kind of game in this day and age.

Do you realize the number of devs EQ had in it's prime vs now?

Saying they should just make content like in the PoP days like that's some kind of revelation is 800 IQ shit

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
For anyone with an interest in game design and theory, the YouTube channel Mandrake Farms posts clips and edited versions from the M&M dev streams. Most are in the 1 minute range but I really enjoyed listening to them talk class design and what they’re aiming to do.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
I'm more impressed at how they were able to find artists animators and worldbuilders to sign up. That was always the biggest roadblock to indie games from what I could see

• 1Like

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I love that they're considering dual-wielding for wizards - sword and staff like Gandalf.

• 4Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
When you have stellar games being made by 3 people like Valheim it really signals that something that previously sounded crazy can actually work.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Mick

<Gold Donor>

• 2Repost

forehead

Trakanon Raider
I'm thankful these guys have decided to go against norms and be very open and interactive with their followers because it is really interesting to watch them stream near daily. The worst part is reading all the terrible opinions and suggestions from people in the chat. I would never have the patience. Some of the most vocal 'followers' have never played EQ and have no idea why the team makes the choices they do. Every little choice the team makes is questioned in real time.

For example, I think yesterday Shawn created an Elementalist and had to kill some things before he had enough money to buy a malachite to summon a pet. Some people thought this gameplay loop was too complicated for someone at level 1 without a help tool or tip dialogue lol.

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The response to that should just be, "well don't play then."

• 1Like

Kaines

Potato Supreme
I'm thankful these guys have decided to go against norms and be very open and interactive with their followers because it is really interesting to watch them stream near daily. The worst part is reading all the terrible opinions and suggestions from people in the chat. I would never have the patience. Some of the most vocal 'followers' have never played EQ and have no idea why the team makes the choices they do. Every little choice the team makes is questioned in real time.

For example, I think yesterday Shawn created an Elementalist and had to kill some things before he had enough money to buy a malachite to summon a pet. Some people thought this gameplay loop was too complicated for someone at level 1 without a help tool or tip dialogue lol.
Do they at least have a separate inventory for spell components??

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
If you don't have to manually do each individual crafting combine that just fails if you fat finger the wrong amount it's just not the same.

• 2Worf
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 2 users

forehead

Trakanon Raider
Actually I do think they are testing separate inventory slots for things like reagents.

inventory.PNG

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm totally down for potions useful during combat to be a thing. Teleport pots and other utility pots that only served limited usefulness in EQ was something they really didn't leverage as much as they could.

Dedicated food and drink slots are a solid improvement. Big reagent bags should be a no brainer.

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Watched that full class video finally.

Things I liked:
  • Necromancer -> more built around the idea of a utility/support class blood mage. Balancing drains with using your own health to heal/give mana to allies. But still has a variety of pet options (like WoW warlocks).
    • I would like if they borrowed the Flesh Golem/Abomination idea from Vanguard. Looking for various body parts and stuff to "build" it and have it as a pet. But I get that it might not be viable or worth building. Still was always cool.
  • Enchanter -> Want to keep Charm viable but understand that it drastically limits design space. Possible solution is to allow an Enchanter only one "focus" slot and give them a powerful line of "enchant ally" spells. Such that you can only enchant ally or charm a mob. Never both. Forcing more interesting decisions.
  • Spellblade -> A class built around adding procs to your weapons and armor. Seems cool.
  • Inquisitor -> Anti magic tank focused on hard mitigation of magical damage and silencing enemy casters. Cool AF imo.
  • Bard -> Don't want to just weave songs via macro, have some other things like encores, beat drops or some other shit. Will retain their superspeed.
  • Rogue -> Will have an array of poisons that offer weaker slows and other effects so you can get by without a shaman (master of slows and haste). Will have many disables.
Things I skipped:
  • Archers -> fags
  • Rangers -> fags

• 4Like