Monsters and Memories (Project_N) - Old School Indie MMO

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I could be wrong about this, but I could swear Verant (before SoE took over) specifically stated they would not enforce "camps" and would only enforce Kill stealing (and I may be wrong on even that one) and ninja looting. It's been way too long since I've read those PNP rules.

You aren't wrong. Things changed a little bit (at least on blue servers) over the years, but VI took a very "hands off" approach to that type of thing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
This game won't be true to its name unless there is a need for folks to exchange phone numbers in the event rare_raidmob_12 happens to spawn at 4am.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
This game won't be true to its name unless there is a need for folks to exchange phone numbers in the event rare_raidmob_12 happens to spawn at 4am.
It's 2022, we're getting push notifications now to our phone, an email at our work that says "Vulak up! LOG IN NOW!", a MySEQ notification that is very loud that says "Rare mob! Vulak'Aerr is up!", and a duplicate @Raider in Discord by the raid alerter bot followed by "@everyone NEED MORE BODIES FOR MOB NOW PLS LOG IN" by delegate raid leader who really doesn't want to be up at 4am to kill Vulak but the sweet prospect of being able to RMT his character along with the tradable NTOV loot keeps him going.

• 1Barf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I think the main point is that if the game is fun, regardless of progression, people will play it. Amazon's MMO New World hit like an atomic bomb last year because it was the first true MMO to be launched in years. There were almost a million concurrent players playing that game at launch. That proves that there is still a huge market for MMO's. The problem is, every MMO since WoW and FF IV have fucking sucked. If New World was even decent, they'd probably have 10 million players right now. Even though that game was vastly disappointing, it did show there is still a market for MMO's. Now someone has to develop one that doesn't suck. You wouldn't think it would be this difficult, but here we are, 2022, almost 2023 and all we can do is theory craft.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I think the main point is that if the game is fun, regardless of progression, people will play it. Amazon's MMO New World hit like an atomic bomb last year because it was the first true MMO to be launched in years. There were almost a million concurrent players playing that game at launch. That proves that there is still a huge market for MMO's. The problem is, every MMO since WoW and FF IV have fucking sucked. If New World was even decent, they'd probably have 10 million players right now. Even though that game was vastly disappointing, it did show there is still a market for MMO's. Now someone has to develop one that doesn't suck. You wouldn't think it would be this difficult, but here we are, 2022, almost 2023 and all we can do is theory craft.
As I've stated before, New World was not a bad game. It was a really good game for the cost of entry. Many of us got more than our money's worth from that game. Where it lacked was in end game content and character progression once you got there. The game changes mid game from a solo-friendly PVE MMO to a group/guild-based PVP MMO. Don't get me wrong, there are issues with the game, and there are some bad design decisions, but the game itself was well worth $30 with NO subscription fee. I fully got my money's worth out of that game.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
As I've stated before, New World was not a bad game. It was a really good game for the cost of entry. Many of us got more than our money's worth from that game. Where it lacked was in end game content and character progression once you got there. The game changes mid game from a solo-friendly PVE MMO to a group/guild-based PVP MMO. Don't get me wrong, there are issues with the game, and there are some bad design decisions, but the game itself was well worth $30 with NO subscription fee. I fully got my money's worth out of that game.
eh game was 39.99 unless you bought it later on sale or something. But your point still stands. it was 2/3 of a game that cost 2/3 of normal box price. it wasn't worth a sub so they didn't charge one. This was all calculated on their part. They knew it wasn't ready and wouldn't be able to hold peoples interest, but instead of being greedy they offered it at a discount. That bought them a lot of good will tbh. When people inevitably quit, they didn't feel ripped off. They left feeling that "well it was only 40 bucks, I got my money's worth" and that makes them willing to entertain the idea of picking it back up again a year later after the game is fleshed out more.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I thought there were some interesting and fun aspects of the game but I gave it up when I got to my first instance quest and I couldn't do it because no one else needed it since they don't allow alts. Also the economy is a little fucky. (edit: replying to you guys talking about NW)

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
1665551740189.png

You love to see it

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I already have one foot out the door. Games that limit classes to race and/or sex are fucking retarded.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Can't wait to unlock Gnome Monks by finding these guys in the world:

1665606955477.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

During a vanilla EQ GM event, I roleplayed a human that hated gnomes. The GM then had me examine a machine and they turned me into a gnome. Sadly the gnome model wasn’t rigged for monk animations

After the event I got a pair of whitened treant fists, though