Monsters and Memories (Project_N) - Old School Indie MMO

Because the game is so fun you can't put it down? Unless...

Sure, it's a metric with a lot of caveats right now, but it's definitely one to watch.

Like most metrics there is almost always something that can be gleaned...you just have to know how to read it.

I would say the game looks and feels like a PoC demo and has a lot of amateur feel to it

This is why I wish it were a licensed EQ remaster, because they're trying to come up with their own game world and the world design part of it is not going very well, and there's probably no meaningful lore. Coming up with worlds and lore is really hard.

Even George RRs map of westeros looks really made up, like something you'd come up with during summer school.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Ooof. Only 25% played beyond 4 hours. This game should have literally dozens of players by day 30.
That is actually a fairly high count by retention standards. Likely beats World of Warcraft's Day1 retention rate.

There was a lot of technical issues that limited the test. I quit after the first 5 minutes and had other stuff to do, because it was a stress test and my characters were ephemeral.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Nick

Trakanon Raider
Another observed metric that was not on the infographic, 1249 played longer than an hour. From the population counters on Shawn’s stream, there was almost always over 600 online the whole 12 hours, dipped into 400-500ish range later in the test.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I didn't play long at all. I was there at the beginning to help with hammering them servers. I'm saving my gameplay for release. I'm usually don't invest a ton of time in MMO betas. I want to invest my time into a character that will stick around.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
With polish, and a more fleshed out world, this game would be significantly more enjoyable and interesting as well. Pretty promising numbers for a stress test so early in development. I dumped 4-ish hours into it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I did the full time. I remember needing to pee really bad at the end of it :emoji_laughing:

• 1Like

Mur

Trakanon Raider
Update:

Some good technical info on the test and findings.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Update:

Some good technical info on the test and findings.
My stream was on the screenshot of streamers. Very cool.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

forehead

Trakanon Raider
If you get a chance, watch one of their new team members Vgfx on Twitch work on armor textures. They are looking really good.

• 1Like

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
numbers seem great for initial stress test.

just talking out my ass, but wont you need like 5,000 subscribers at 15$ a month for a game with these requirements to be remotely profitable? thats 900,000 a year. so like 6 salaries + maintenance cost? seems like you'd need more

• 1Like

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
numbers seem great for initial stress test.

just talking out my ass, but wont you need like 5,000 subscribers at 15$ a month for a game with these requirements to be remotely profitable? thats 900,000 a year. so like 6 salaries + maintenance cost? seems like you'd need more
5,000 subs + merch sales being able to support your team is an amazing place to be at. If that's sustainable for them then this game will be amazing regardless of whether it explodes in popularity or not.

• 2Like

Rael

Golden Knight of the Realm

Given that article was written in 2018, probably nothing. It was likely bullshit to attract investment.

Coming up with worlds and lore is really hard.

For a generic high fantasy Tolkein/D&D style world? Not really. EQ1's setting/lore was hardly the most original, and most players were barely even aware of any of the lore.

Last edited:

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
EQ1's lore was lifted directly from a homebrew D&D campaign. There's quite a lot of obvious influences.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The lore just needs to be familiar. That was the entire point of using mostly homebrew DND campaign stuff. You understand that it is high fantasy. Dragons are bad, so are orcs and gnolls and other beasts and whatnot.

Everything else is just details and fluff.

• 2Like

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
EQ1's lore was lifted directly from a homebrew D&D campaign. There's quite a lot of obvious influences.

Here's the interview ALovingRobot did with Kevin McPherson which describes exactly what you're saying. Kunark and Venril Sathir was literally a D&D campaign that Kevin and his friends had. It's a good watch.

• 2Like

Zefah

<Gold Donor>
For what it's worth, EverQuest was really the only MMORPG with an original setting I've ever played where I genuinely enjoyed the lore. The setting felt mysterious while still feeling consistent and believable enough to not immediately dismiss.

Not saying it's Middle Earth or anything, but still an enjoyable aspect of the game..

• 3Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For what it's worth, EverQuest was really the only MMORPG with an original setting I've ever played where I genuinely enjoyed the lore. The setting felt mysterious while still feeling consistent and believable enough to not immediately dismiss.

Not saying it's Middle Earth or anything, but still an enjoyable aspect of the game..
I couldn't tell you the EQ "story", but the world felt old and lived in. You had ancient god's influencing the world, locations, and their races. It all tied together, even if it was in not-so-obvious ways. The fingerprints of god's, religions, races, factions, guilds, were all over the game world and fit together. They would hide things all over the world that you didn't know wtf it was, but as you branched out and saw more, it all started to make more sense.

• 3Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
EQ lord was awesome because you to seek it out. It was hand fed to you and guiding your gaming adventure like it is with WoW and everything else.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
EQ lore was good for the same reasons middle earth lore is, it has depth and interconnections. Sometimes very subtle interconnections.

• 2Like