Monsters and Memories (Project_N) - Old School Indie MMO

Amycus

Lord Nagafen Raider
872
127
Yeah I’ve never been a fan of it. It is effectively the only true determining factor in my race selection for EA. I mean DE are neat and all, but I couldn’t stand not being able to see shit during beta. My main was a human, I had a regular lantern, the cultist lantern, turned gamma up all the way(which got on my nerves doing it every night cycle), and still couldn’t see worth a damn when pulling in dark areas.
Like at first it was kind of neat just being around a campfire outdoors in the dark, it had a certain vibe. But inside dark dungeons it was a straight unfun pain in the ass.
 

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
40,247
20,199
Yeah I’ve never been a fan of it. It is effectively the only true determining factor in my race selection for EA. I mean DE are neat and all, but I couldn’t stand not being able to see shit during beta. My main was a human, I had a regular lantern, the cultist lantern, turned gamma up all the way(which got on my nerves doing it every night cycle), and still couldn’t see worth a damn when pulling in dark areas.
Like at first it was kind of neat just being around a campfire outdoors in the dark, it had a certain vibe. But inside dark dungeons it was a straight unfun pain in the ass.
I feel like they could keep the spirit of the dark nights but also nerf how dark it is by 50% and achieve the same immersion
 

Siliconemelons

Ssraeszha Raider
15,649
25,298
I feel like they could keep the spirit of the dark nights but also nerf how dark it is by 50% and achieve the same immersion

And if you sit there and "watch" light cycles in the game, and pay attention to what it is doing - sadly, it is obviously 100% intentional.

The only "excuse" I give the vision / lighting system is that shadows do not work the way they thought / want - and that shadow interaction does not have proper gradient or layering affects like they intended.

Go inside a building during high noon- go a few rooms in, where there are no openings or windows to the outside, be 3 or so rooms deep- you can see. Go there at night, you cannot see anything... why? "in reality" both of those situations should result in the same darkness of room. But it does not, because there is a baseline "light" that daytime yields to everything - and thus is removed by "night"

Every light source is "and LED" in this game, in terms of the sharpness of shadows etc. natural / sunlight is "soft" and the shadows are not so "sharp" - they also have conflicting overlaps in shadow and light dominance rather than blending... and I get this is not some UE5 super game... but its lighting system is acting like it is...but it is not... so stop...just stop.

Have some cool dynamic lights for affect and visual "ohhh coool" but then cut it out. There should be a constant baseline "light" were you can "see" everything at all times regardless of your race and skill

Like the end of beta, they summoned a dragon...oh cool a shadow outline of a dragon, WOW MUCH WOW CANT SEE

Their desire for campfires, and the windows glowing with light and guards with torches moving around the far off scene of night harbor, has destroyed the ability to play the game for 75% of the day/night cycle and to me, it seems they are just too far down that hole to ADMIT IT and STOP. People are like "its always night!" because both dusk and morning have the same no "base" light like night, so for all intents and purposes, it is night 75% of the time.

Yes it is dumb that there are people STILL saying this is an issue and it has been since DAY ONE.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Valorath

Vyemm Raider
1,456
2,906
Wait ogres no longer get infravision…
I hope that was a typo.
Right now it seems Deep Elf and Deep Gnome have Ultravision, Wood Elf has Infravison, and Gnomes can get infra if they choose Gnome of the Forest. Everyone else has no vision trait.

They also said Infravision will be activated and have some “other effects like heat signatures” or something. Remains to be seen whether that’s a toggle, or if you can only activate it for like 30 seconds every 5 min, who knows, haven’t seen any further elaboration on that.

They definitely shook things up with these traits.
 

Flobee

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
3,463
4,120
I never really had a problem seeing even at night on a human. I turned gamma up some, but nothing crazy. I think y'all just old :emoji_older_man:.

Edit: willing to bet there will be a relatively low effort way to improve vision early on.
 

nunny

Golden Knight of the Realm
14
8
Halfling innates are so bad. When I compare them to the others, I'm almost convinced someone on the team really dislikes them. Even their selectables are bad with barely any option outside tiny rogue boosts. For example, their most noteworthy innate is Sneak, and the classes they have access to pretty much all have sneak, stealth or invis of some form already. That means it's useless to those who have invis and stealth options. Scroll down and you see the Goblin selectables have one with sneak on it, which is exactly the same as the Halfling innate trait, and it also comes with 10% swim speed boost, eating less food AND infravision. Also surprised they gave racials so much weight, it's usually avoided because they want players to be able to choose the race they want to play without feeling like they made a mistake picking poor racials. Still looking through the updates, but so far I'm less excited to play than I was yesterday. If people can't see on EA launch without great effort, they're going to be upset. Traits were bad, but this is awful imo.
 

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
9,871
9,788
Right now it seems Deep Elf and Deep Gnome have Ultravision, Wood Elf has Infravison, and Gnomes can get infra if they choose Gnome of the Forest. Everyone else has no vision trait.

They also said Infravision will be activated and have some “other effects like heat signatures” or something. Remains to be seen whether that’s a toggle, or if you can only activate it for like 30 seconds every 5 min, who knows, haven’t seen any further elaboration on that.

They definitely shook things up with these traits.
1790719267064.png
As is Deep gnome is my go to shaman. Regen and another oh shit button. Yes please.
  • Fungal Symbiosis
    • Fungal Regeneration (only active while shaded)
    • +5 Disease Resist, -5 Corruption Resist
    • Rotten: -2 Charisma
    • Activatable: Rotten Renewal
      • Sacrifice 30% of your maximum health, and distribute the damage done as healing to each party member over 12 seconds. Once afflicted by Rotten Renewal, a player cannot benefit from further renewal for 3 minutes.
      • 15 minute cooldown