Mortal Kombat (2021)

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I like how Kitana's evil clone is in the movie, but no Kitana.
I felt like a dumbass talking to my g/f during this movie when she showed up. I was naming out people etc. before I even knew who they were, then I see that chick and say exactly that "This must be Kitana" and then.. its not. G/f didnt care for the movie at all, but IDCareeeeeeeeeeeee

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Im sorry but as a massive MK fan who waited 25 years for a legit reboot/sequel whatever, you should be complaining.

What do you guys think Ed Boon would have done if they let him write the script?

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Im sorry but as a massive MK fan who waited 25 years for a legit reboot/sequel whatever, you should be complaining.

What do you guys think Ed Boon would have done if they let him write the script?

I imagine that studio meddling and decisions made by the money people is what leads to this kind of shit.

Sure, if they gave us FOH bros a shot at writing the script it would be fucking world class, but they are trying to make money first and foremost and this is what the money people do to movies. You think Boon would just be given free reign to blow 100 mil doing whatever he wanted with no studio input?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

If you ever thought MK was going to get a legit movie then you do not understand the motivations of people that make movies for a living. It is not to entertain but to make money. Entertainment is a by-product of making money to them. They would rather have 10 different people watch a movie than one person 10 times. It is why there will never be a truly good video game movie; those people don't understand what makes video games good. Fuck, I will NOT see the God of War movie because there is literally no way it can be as good as the story, plot, characters, and acting of the last game. GoW4 was damn near perfection.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

You also need to realize that when the first MK movie came out, there was only a couple MK games out. There wasn’t 25 years of lore/chars you had to contend with

• 1Like

Rude

Potato del Grande
You also need to realize that when the first MK movie came out, there was only a couple MK games out. There wasn’t 25 years of lore/chars you had to contend with
Remember when the first MK movie was so bad they did a retcon on Kano to emulate the movie iteration? Good stuff. Fist bump for the bad movie.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Kano in this iteration was a scene stealer.

Johnny Cage in the next one better match the void that Kano has left behind or its gonna suck, not rock.

• 1Solidarity

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
They will bring Kano back with all the hype around him in this movie.

• 1Solidarity

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>

I dont know man, i dont think Ed Boon would have been a good fit. It seems like they wanted to make a super serious Mortal Kombat movie but didnt realize their IP was not super serious.

Ed Boon, Mortal Kombat co-creator: When the movie was being discussed, I remember not taking it seriously at first. I thought, "This is probably going to be talked about but not happen." Then all of a sudden we were getting phone calls about casting and they were saying, "What about this guy for this character? What about this guy for that character?" I remember them saying, "What do you think of Danny Glover as Raiden?"

Boon: [Fellow Mortal Kombat co-creator] John [Tobias] and I had comments about the script because I remember at first, from our perspective, it was way too comical. Raiden was cracking jokes like a prankster, and I remember saying, "He's not a clown, he's a very serious character." We didn't write the script, but we read the script and we sent back comments.

Boon: Christopher Lambert did a great job. He brought a lot of his own personal performance to it. We were thinking so literally at the time. We were thinking Raiden is from Asian mythology. We never showed his face that clearly in the game, so we never really defined a race, but we didn't think "the Highlander guy." That wasn't in our heads.

• 1Like

Jozu

Well, he isnt wrong lol. Raiden shouldnt be cracking jokes. Doesnt mean he would have made some super serious version of MK, just make sure the characters are true to what fans have come to expect.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
This movie was hilarious over the top cheese. I wonder how well that plays though with people with no understanding of the games though. Is seeing Jax and hammerguy get teleported into a level from the game to fight just like the game still funny?

It seems like they wanted to make a super serious Mortal Kombat movie but didnt realize their IP was not super serious.
It can be done, see GoTG. Hell thats exactly what was going on with the opening scene. Felt to me like the opening scene was written and directed by different people than the rest of the movie.

• 1Like

Jozu

That is a great example of that. It was such a jarring turn. I always wondered if they did that just to add relevance to his love of music and attachment to the walkman.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
anyone have any millenials that never watched 95, they're bopping their heads to the 2021 theme

and you go, well this is my jam

and they go that sucks?

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
This movie was hilarious over the top cheese. I wonder how well that plays though with people with no understanding of the games though. Is seeing Jax and hammerguy get teleported into a level from the game to fight just like the game still funny?

It can be done, see GoTG. Hell thats exactly what was going on with the opening scene. Felt to me like the opening scene was written and directed by different people than the rest of the movie.

Lol

GOTG is not a super serious IP and it was definitely not a super serious film

Sterling

El Presidente
GotG was a real movie though, It had actual character development and emotional ties. The MK movies are kind of fun, but they're not deep.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
GotG was a real movie though, It had actual character development and emotional ties. The MK movies are kind of fun, but they're not deep.
It had a talking raccoon, a character whos entire dialogue consisted of 3 words, a knife guy whose dialogue had 2x words as groot, 2 bitchy chicks and some autist alien.

Lets not oversell the "character developmebt" and "emotional ties" here, i wouldnt care if they all died at the end of 1st movie.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
It had a talking raccoon, a character whos entire dialogue consisted of 3 words, a knife guy whose dialogue had 2x words as groot, 2 bitchy chicks and some autist alien.

Lets not oversell the "character developmebt" and "emotional ties" here, i wouldnt care if they all died at the end of 1st movie.
I mean it obviously wasn't all super serious. But having some of that stuff lets people connect with characters some and that matters.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Not super serious but GoTG wasnt loaded with more cheese than uhh whatever has a lot of cheese.
I found MK way more enjoyable than GOTG

Imagine if their special effects budgets and eras were reversed.

Id love to see 1995 GoTG shitpile with some fucking jim hanson muppet as the raccoon while MK is rocking a $250m budget