Mortal Kombat (2021)

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Went in expecting nothing but some carnage/gore enjoyability and came out happy, with the only wtf moment I had was
kano ripping out reptiles (?) heart and not losing his arm to a big vat of acid. Given that shit was melting at his spit, and I thought his blood, I spent the next minute or two waiting for his arm to just disolve

They definitely made the right call with the kano casting & not including Cage, if they do bring both into #2 (assuming a sequel is approved), not sure how they are going to keep that from being over the top.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
kano ripping out reptiles (?) heart and not losing his arm to a big vat of acid. Given that shit was melting at his spit, and I thought his blood, I spent the next minute or two waiting for his arm to just disolve
I was too.

Also, when he and Sonya had their final fight, I was thinking to myself "Well this looks like a typical Saturday night in a trailer park".

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Reptiles have a venom gland in the skull. Though I'm not familiar with any venom being corrosive....

erhm-18-8-g001.jpg

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I punched a fictional creature with acidic blood in it's face and ripped it's head off, I was fine. Don't need to get all scientific.

:trollface:

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Maybe they should have been more scientific about making a good movie.

The sequel will sell because of the tournament. But damn if it's not going to be pulling teeth to get funded.

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Went in expecting nothing but some carnage/gore enjoyability and came out happy, with the only wtf moment I had was

They definitely made the right call with the kano casting & not including Cage, if they do bring both into #2 (assuming a sequel is approved), not sure how they are going to keep that from being over the top.

Not sure why that would happen? Venom isn't in the blood of a venomous animal. You can kill a Rattlesnake or whatever and eat it, no problem.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not sure why that would happen? Venom isn't in the blood of a venomous animal. You can kill a Rattlesnake or whatever and eat it, no problem.
In logical real world obviously, I just thought it looked like reptiles innards were more or less corrosive kind of similar to xenomorphs when exposed to things.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
In logical real world obviously, I just thought it looked like reptiles innards were more or less corrosive kind of similar to xenomorphs when exposed to things.
i mean, but nothing hinted that that was the case. anything that melted was because it was in reptile's mouth. the dagger that sonya put in him, for example, didn't melt until reptile pulled it out (with his tongue) and then put it in his mouth (where it dissolved pretty quickly). maybe you aren't familiar with the games, which is fine, but the games have never shown his blood to be acidic either. he spits corrosive liquid but there's nothing corrosive about his blood. like, dragons breathe fire, but their blood isn't literal fire. humans breathe air but air doesnt spew out when we bleed. those two systems are not connected

spronk

FPS noob

there are rumors that Ryan Reynolds may play Cage in a sequel and true or not the marketing genius won't let an opportunity pass to promo the mobile carrier he owns, surprised he didn't manage to toss in a vodka reference

• 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Not as good as hoped, but was about what I expected. Whole thing being just a set up for MK2 was kind of lame.

So all the dead characters will just magically be not dead? Pretty fucking dumb

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
Not as good as hoped, but was about what I expected. Whole thing being just a set up for MK2 was kind of lame.

So all the dead characters will just magically be not dead? Pretty fucking dumb [/spoile4]
I miss the days of unplanned sequels relying on awkwardly retconned details to even work; but MK 2021 just phones it in because the follow-up was already a foregone conclusion, which is pretty brazen for a movie that's barely memorable.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider

So all the dead characters will just magically be not dead? Pretty fucking dumb
Scorpion literally comes back from hell so yes of course all the dead ones they want to bring back will do so. They sort of reference the land of the dead being one of the realms that fights in mortal kombat

j00t

spoilers.

i don't know what they are going to do about kano, it would be criminal not to bring him back... but sub-zero turns into noob saibot, kung lao turns into a revenant... that's stuff that has precedent in the games. obviously they are not bringing back general reiko becuase who cares about him. kabal was burned up by liu kang but dude was already burnt to a crisp. could just say his iron lung kept him breathing and shang tsung kept him on life support. mileena is just a clone so she's super easy to bring back. goro always died in mk 1 and leaves room for the other 4 armed characters.

it's really not that complicated.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Didn't Kano steal the amulet of shinnok in the temple? That's what it looked like to me.

j00t

Didn't Kano steal the amulet of shinnok in the temple? That's what it looked like to me.
yeah, that's exactly what it was. but liu kang caught him and told him to put it back. obviously we didn't SEE him put it back, but i think the assumption is that liu wasn't just going to buy the "uh... put WHAT back...?"

• 1Like

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I watched this the other day, and it was ok. I don't regret watching it. Adding Cole to this movie was so dumb. There are a billion MK characters they need to squeeze into this franchise, and they choose to create a new one. Pretty fucking dumb decision making. It's pretty bizarre they found the most average looking woman to play Sonya.

I do wish they would have just done a Sub-Zero/Scorpion movie instead. The first scene of the movie was by far the best part of the movie.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users