Mortal Kombat (2021)

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
No one did the "I'm Tazerface!" When he did the I'm Subzero line? Shit my wife thought I was the funniest dude in the room (sitting in living room, 2 of us)

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
yeah when I saw him I was like “this dude is awesome and I can’t remember a single thing he was in but I know I’ve seen him in a dozen movies.”
1619282166964.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
It was boring and sucky

Not up to today's standards at all. not nearly visceral at all. Way too much dry dead space, fluff

• 2Like
  • 2Great Review
Reactions: 3 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I thought it was a decent base they can now expand on. They did a good job mixing in the serious with the camp. I also appreciated all the video game nods. Needed a "Toasty!" though.

Cole really needed to become Scorpion. Big miss there. It also needed a banging soundtrack.

7/10.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I think this would have been better as a 10 episode series then a movie. Flesh out everything more. There needs to be a Cole edit though where he isn't in it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

gauze

Molten Core Raider
I haven't watched it yet, too busy atm.. But I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone that says it sucks. I usually get the run around explanation like Liu Kang sounds like a little bitch, Raiden seems like a retired thunder lord, Cole is worthless, babyfaced Shang ect. Unanimous agreement on Kano being the best bit.

Were the fights atleast enjoyable from those who thinks it sucks..? I think that's the only thing that really even matters, aside from maybe senseless gore lol.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It sucks.

Liu Kang is kucked. Everything just felt wrong. There are so many other routes to go besides making Sub Zero the bad guy. And Cole.....what the fuck?

The Cole thing is the equivalent of making a God of War movie but have it feature some regular guy who is loosely related to one of the other gods.

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'll try to be as objective as I can, just know that I thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was.

it was a... Competent film though it had it's flaws. Some of the editing was a little too disconnected so some of the fight scenes suffered from that. There's a scene where Cole throws Sonya a knife so she can stab someone with it and it takes like 3 quick cuts but no one is in the same position from cut to cut, so there's no consistency. It's not terrible, but it's definitely noticable.

But, in general, the fight scenes are done well. There are some liberties taken with the characters but they are all done pretty well and they are all consistent with the game version.

It suffers from a bit of having too many characters but that was always going to be the case with this kind of movie. People want MORE characters in it despite the characters that ARE in it not having enough screen time as it is.

I'm happy with the cast, though pretty much all the villains are 2 dimensional, again due to there just being too many characters overall. Shang tsung is a little weak but everyone has carey-hiroyuki togawa as a reference point and that dude nailed Shang tsung so whoever that plays him is going to come across as weak.

A lot of people hate on Cole but the dude did a decent job. Physically he looks the part, everyone does really... (Sonya is probably the least believable but that's cus they gave her super wonky wire work for some reason). I think the issue is that he's a new character. They wanted someone they had some leeway with storywise, but the story itself didn't really need it. There wasn't anything unique that he did that required a new character so people just hate him for being there through no fault of his own.

It's far from a flawless victory (lol @ me) but it's a win at the end of the day

• 1Like

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
I didn't think this was awful, but the actors were definitely wooden af. Cole was lame as hell. I think, as someone else said, this would've been better as a 10 episode show. There also needed to be a tournament ala bloodsport. If you view this solely as a setup to a series of movies, it's probably a little better; as a standalone piece it was lacking for sure. Give me an actual tournament in a movie about a multi realm fighting tournament, is that so hard to ask? Or just recreate the story from the recent MK games as that was better than the story in this movie

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kiki

Log Wizard
It paid a lot of homage to the video games, had fatalities and gore, not bad at all. Needed Kitana. Kano was great. Liu Kang could have stepped it up a little but meh, there was a bicycle kick at least. Shang Tsung also showed nothing.

Cole was a bit pointless to me, he really only wins one fight on his own and there are 11 fucking mortal kombats but they felt the need to make up a character that really didn't even have any cool powers? Weaksauce.

Still watchable for some turn off your brain fun.

• 1Like

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I understand the lore behind Sub Zero, my point was they could have done so many other things but they took the low road.

How cool are Ed Boons names though? All of the Sub Zero and Scorpion related names are awesome.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I'll try to be as objective as I can, just know that I thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was.

it was a... Competent film though it had it's flaws. Some of the editing was a little too disconnected so some of the fight scenes suffered from that. There's a scene where Cole throws Sonya a knife so she can stab someone with it and it takes like 3 quick cuts but no one is in the same position from cut to cut, so there's no consistency. It's not terrible, but it's definitely noticable.

But, in general, the fight scenes are done well. There are some liberties taken with the characters but they are all done pretty well and they are all consistent with the game version.

It suffers from a bit of having too many characters but that was always going to be the case with this kind of movie. People want MORE characters in it despite the characters that ARE in it not having enough screen time as it is.

I'm happy with the cast, though pretty much all the villains are 2 dimensional, again due to there just being too many characters overall. Shang tsung is a little weak but everyone has carey-hiroyuki togawa as a reference point and that dude nailed Shang tsung so whoever that plays him is going to come across as weak.

A lot of people hate on Cole but the dude did a decent job. Physically he looks the part, everyone does really... (Sonya is probably the least believable but that's cus they gave her super wonky wire work for some reason). I think the issue is that he's a new character. They wanted someone they had some leeway with storywise, but the story itself didn't really need it. There wasn't anything unique that he did that required a new character so people just hate him for being there through no fault of his own.

It's far from a flawless victory (lol @ me) but it's a win at the end of the day
No, that's not what it was with Cole. He's shown as being the most competent fighter of, well, literally all of the other characters, with the best choreographed fights, but he's constantly getting cucked and beat the fuck up, then needs an invulnerability, ex machina suit in order to survive getting his ass beat. He's a shitty actor, and his character sucked.

He's supposed to be the everyman portrayed by the observer, but he sucks at that, too. Might as well toss in Keanu.

j00t

No, that's not what it was with Cole. He's shown as being the most competent fighter of, well, literally all of the other characters, with the best choreographed fights, but he's constantly getting cucked and beat the fuck up, then needs an invulnerability, ex machina suit in order to survive getting his ass beat. He's a shitty actor, and his character sucked.

He's supposed to be the everyman portrayed by the observer, but he sucks at that, too. Might as well toss in Keanu.
he's shown to be the most competent fighter? i mean, did we watch the same movie? the movie i watched, cole lost every fight he was in right up until he got cheater invincible armor, at which point his hit points were locked at 100% but he still was outclassed by every one he fought.

spronk

FPS noob
don't forget his daughter had to remind him via ADR'd lines to upper cut lol

also was Goro gonna rape his family? Also Cole deciding to go back to his family after seeing the bad guys track him multiple times was hilarious. "Maybe if they know I pussied out, they'll leave me alone!" <-- Gen Z

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

don't forget his daughter had to remind him via ADR'd lines to upper cut lol

also was Goro gonna rape his family? Also Cole deciding to go back to his family after seeing the bad guys track him multiple times was hilarious. "Maybe if they know I pussied out, they'll leave me alone!" <-- Gen Z
i don't 100% remember how that scene played out, but i thought the subtext was that raiden sent him home. basically told him that because he couldn't unlock his arcana, he was a liability and so he should just go spend time with his family before shang tsung kills everyone. and i didn't think about it until JUST THIS MOMENT, but i think raiden KNEW shang tsung was going to send someone to kill his family so his hope was that the event would shock cole's system into jump starting his arcana. basically he told cole couldn't swim so raiden tossed him into the deep end. better learn how to swim quick, or you get to watch your wife and daughter die.

Rime

<Donor>
Watched this in English this time... Still not good, not bad.
The only fights worth watching were the Sub-Zero/Scorpion bouts.
Kano was the best character.
Cole is trash, unlikable, and just pointless.
Weird ass Goro looks like low-tier CGI Hulk.

Regularly, this would be a 4/10 - Not good enough to recommend, but not bad enough to tell people to avoid.

In Corona-times, this is probably a 6/10. No overly woke bullshit, decent violence and CGI.

• 1Like