Mortal Shell - Soulslike RPG

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Bleh I finally beat the dude to unlock a weapon and it crashes just before the load screen, don't have the heart to see if it saved the kill.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Bleh I finally beat the dude to unlock a weapon and it crashes just before the load screen, don't have the heart to see if it saved the kill.

The pick axe, Harden (?), guy? He wasn’t so bad. My second attempt I pretty much cheesed him waiting for his leaping attack, stone form, and get a light + hard attack in. Back off and wait for stone to refresh. By the end I had better timing and could get a few more swipes in per cycle.

My play is very sporadic but I’m enjoying it. Feels like there is a ton of stuff I’m missing, in a good way. And the combat curve has been decent. Can steam roll through the opening trash which is much better than when I started.

Still a few minor annoyances. The cut scene thing when climbing out of caves from beta is a big wtf. No idea why it annoys me as much as it does, but whatever. No crashes yet but I have had an audio bug when alt+tabbing or that required me to restart the game fully to get sound back.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I'd like to play this but no UW support = meh. Will wait to see if it gets added at some point.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Flaming mace staff guy.
The pick axe, Harden (?), guy? He wasn’t so bad. My second attempt I pretty much cheesed him waiting for his leaping attack, stone form, and get a light + hard attack in. Back off and wait for stone to refresh. By the end I had better timing and could get a few more swipes in per cycle.

My play is very sporadic but I’m enjoying it. Feels like there is a ton of stuff I’m missing, in a good way. And the combat curve has been decent. Can steam roll through the opening trash which is much better than when I started.

Still a few minor annoyances. The cut scene thing when climbing out of caves from beta is a big wtf. No idea why it annoys me as much as it does, but whatever. No crashes yet but I have had an audio bug when alt+tabbing or that required me to restart the game fully to get sound back.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
From what I've seen while watching various streams, if you can get the "Eredrim" shell, its fairly OP. It has a perk where you get a get a stacking dmg buff for each kill that lasts until you're knocked out of your shell. Gives like +1 dmg per 10 stacks, get it high enough and you basically one shot every small mob and 2-3 shot the big ones.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
From what I've seen while watching various streams, if you can get the "Eredrim" shell, its fairly OP. It has a perk where you get a get a stacking dmg buff for each kill that lasts until you're knocked out of your shell. Gives like +1 dmg per 10 stacks, get it high enough and you basically one shot every small mob and 2-3 shot the big ones.
yeah got that one but his stamina suuuuuuucccks, it is a quarter of what the other two have.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
yeah got that one but his stamina suuuuuuucccks, it is a quarter of what the other two have.
Won't need a bunch of stamina if you're doing a ton of dmg; Harden would be your best defensive move. Was watching Bahroo run around with 350 stacks, using the Hammer & chisel (3 upgrades I think), and it was pretty easy mode.

Edit: Also, thos BDSM chicks in the "Dim Gate" area are hot.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'd like to play this but no UW support = meh. Will wait to see if it gets added at some point.
Looks like it's vert- like most UE games made by people without much experience, because Epic decided it was a good idea to make that the default for ultrawide resolutions. Apparently you can fix it with Unreal Unlocker and using the fov console command, but it has to be reapplied every area transition/cutscene/death. Hopefully these people fix it like Gunfire Games did for Remnant last year.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Picked this up yesterday and put in a couple of hours. It's pretty fun. Definitely doesn't feel as precise as Souls combat though. I had some confusion at first because I thought you had to actually find the shell's name in the world somewhere, but you just pay that bitch some souls or whatever the currency is. The upgrade UI has no kind of indication that holding the button is doing anything for the first second or two and I thought I just couldn't make purchases yet.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Won't need a bunch of stamina if you're doing a ton of dmg; Harden would be your best defensive move. Was watching Bahroo run around with 350 stacks, using the Hammer & chisel (3 upgrades I think), and it was pretty easy mode.

Edit: Also, thos BDSM chicks in the "Dim Gate" area are hot.

It really isn't that OP. It caps at 100 stacks so it is only +10 damage. I mean it is helpful, but nothing that is going to EZ Mode everything. The trash mobs still take two swings but it helps on the larger ones as you're doing +30 damage after your combo so can take them out safely in 2 - 3 combos.

Just finished the Shrine of Ash and enjoyed it. Not huge and doesn't compare to the more elaborate Souls locations but it flows decent enough. Boss was a let down I'd say. Still enjoying the game overall. It is just a competent Demon Souls Lite.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It really isn't that OP. It caps at 100 stacks so it is only +10 damage. I mean it is helpful, but nothing that is going to EZ Mode everything. The trash mobs still take two swings but it helps on the larger ones as you're doing +30 damage after your combo so can take them out safely in 2 - 3 combos.

Just finished the Shrine of Ash and enjoyed it. Not huge and doesn't compare to the more elaborate Souls locations but it flows decent enough. Boss was a let down I'd say. Still enjoying the game overall. It is just a competent Demon Souls Lite.
If by stacks you mean the number shown on the buff icon, then no it doesn't cap at 100, unless having anything beyond 100 doesn't work.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
If by stacks you mean the number shown on the buff icon, then no it doesn't cap at 100, unless having anything beyond 100 doesn't work.

I didn't notice anything above 100 making a difference. I cheesed it at the save chick with 4 mobs and took about 15 min to get to 100 stacks then cleared the whole dungeon. Didn't even see my damage increase more. Then went back out to Fallgrim and did basically a whole clear looking for that last shell I never found. Will pay more attention next time.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I didn't notice anything above 100 making a difference. I cheesed it at the save chick with 4 mobs and took about 15 min to get to 100 stacks then cleared the whole dungeon. Didn't even see my damage increase more. Then went back out to Fallgrim and did basically a whole clear looking for that last shell I never found. Will pay more attention next time.
Seems like there was a patch today/last night that limited the total amount of added dmg to +10 as you've noticed, didn't know about that.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Seems like there was a patch today/last night that limited the total amount of added dmg to +10 as you've noticed, didn't know about that.

Low health insane stamina ninja will be my jam, right now using the scholar to unlock everything. IMO Stamina is everything in this game due to how generous I frames are. I think the flaming mace is my go to, good reach with wide swings and decent stagger hits with R2.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Low health insane stamina ninja will be my jam, right now using the scholar to unlock everything. IMO Stamina is everything in this game due to how generous I frames are. I think the flaming mace is my go to, good reach with wide swings and decent stagger hits with R2.
The second ability that does a modest AoE slam is pretty beefy too. Try a shelless run!

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Roll credits! NG+ allows you to upgrade beyond the 5 quenching. 8 hours 16 mins played, not bad.
1598154724675.png

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Funny thing. You can get to the credits really fast without finishing the game, though it doesn't end your game as you might think.

There is a bandit npc that asks for various stuff, like roasted rat, alcohol, etc. If you give him everything, he will ask if want to just chill out. If you do, it's roll credits time. Made me laugh.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
I thought this was supposed to come out as physical copy for PS4 in US today. I have $25 Best Buy rewards, is it worth using them on?