Mortal Shell - Soulslike RPG

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Game definitely gets a lot easier as it goes on. After clearing the first dungeon and dying about 100 times, i think i only died 2-3 times the rest of the game

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I started playing it last night, and I'm getting the timings down on most enemies except for the Nocteseper, that pounce attack when they latch onto you neck(unparriable) is a PITA! The Parry timing to heal up is a little hit or miss for me right now. From what I have watched and read is that when you get Tiel, the Acolyte and Hammer and Chisel it gets pretty easy. I didn't get to put much time into last night, but plan on getting some more playtime tonight and this weekend.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
This came out today on Steam for 27 bucks. If you download it before August 23rd, you get the DLC for free.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
This came out today on Steam for 27 bucks. If you download it before August 23rd, you get the DLC for free.

YMMV but not sure I'd say this is worth $27... $15 maybe? I'm being critical maybe. It wasn't an unpolished turd or anything it just wasn't very deep maybe. And now that we're like 8 months or so out from release it seems like a steep asking price. Maybe with the DLC included b/c I actually never did go through that so there could be more content than I'm giving it credit for.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Just got this for free with ps+

Pretty cool so far, but I'm not into souls games. I'm guessing g ill end up quitting when I can't figure out where the fuck i am without an in game map. I need my hand held...

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

Pretty cool so far, but I'm not into souls games. I'm guessing g ill end up quitting when I can't figure out where the fuck i am without an in game map. I need my hand held...
Sad King Of The Monsters GIF by HBO Max

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anyone who has both Game Pass and PS+, don't even think about playing it on PS5 if you can play it on Series X or PC instead. 60 fps makes a huge difference, and Microsoft weren't cheap assholes like Sony was by giving away only the last gen version. PS5 didn't do too well at locking down 60fps in Digital Foundry's testing even if Sony hadn't been cheap. Series S shoots for 1080p60 but actual fps varies all the way from 30 to 60 at times so I wouldn't recommend playing on that either.

• 1Solidarity

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>

I think maps but no GPS is the best. Maps are just too damn fun (for me) to browse and dig into. And if it's a well-crafted world, I'm easily able to reference landmarks/etc to use the maps to get around.

I'm not against GPS but it doesn't belong in every game, far from it.

• 1Like

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I think maps but no GPS is the best. Maps are just too damn fun (for me) to browse and dig into. And if it's a well-crafted world, I'm easily able to reference landmarks/etc to use the maps to get around.

I'm not against GPS but it doesn't belong in every game, far from it.
I member no maps and using landmarks to find out where I was.

And

/loc
/loc
/loc
/loc
/loc

• 3Solidarity
  • 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 6 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Well, somehow this one flew totally under my radar. I also keep getting it mixed up with Scarlet Nexus, thought SN was the Soulslike.

Is this game really kind of short? HLTB has it at 10 hours which is low for a Soulslike. I might put this on my Soulslike pile cause nothing else does it for me anymore.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Well, somehow this one flew totally under my radar. I also keep getting it mixed up with Scarlet Nexus, thought SN was the Soulslike.

Is this game really kind of short? HLTB has it at 10 hours which is low for a Soulslike. I might put this on my Soulslike pile cause nothing else does it for me anymore.

Like most souls games it depends on how good you are with them, but it's not a large game. It's not the quality of a FromSoft game, but it's among the better indie souls games. I'd say 10-15 is probably accurate. I haven't tried the new rogue lite? mode they added, which might add some time. It's worth playing. It certainly isn't bad. Kind of like Ashen. You'll notice quirks and clunkyness, but decent entries into the genre.

Edit: This is on gamepass, so absolutely worth a download.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Agree there. It wasn’t the best but wasn’t bad. Kind of forgot about it after playing and had no idea there was DLC.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Anyone who has both Game Pass and PS+, don't even think about playing it on PS5 if you can play it on Series X or PC instead. 60 fps makes a huge difference, and Microsoft weren't cheap assholes like Sony was by giving away only the last gen version. PS5 didn't do too well at locking down 60fps in Digital Foundry's testing even if Sony hadn't been cheap. Series S shoots for 1080p60 but actual fps varies all the way from 30 to 60 at times so I wouldn't recommend playing on that either.

I think on PS5 it's 60 FPS now or close to it. They patched the game quite a bit.

Anyway I got this for $10 so I've been giving it a try this weekend. Can anyone help me make sense of this damn game? I've platinumed Demon Souls, Dark Souls 1 and 2, all three of their remakes, Elden Ring twice, and Bloodborne. Didn't plat, but I beat Code Vein and Wo Long without much trouble. Even beat Returnal.

This game though pretty much whoops my ass, I spent 4 hours on it (enough to get halfway through the game or more from the looks of things) and I'm not even sure if I made any progress. It's one of those games where the first area is probably way harder than the rest of the game from everything I've read, but yeah that first area is ridiculous.

Am I supposed to be in the Reverie? It seems to reset and randomize every time I die, so I can't learn the area because it's always different. That's the only place where I can play as anything besides the default Shell with the default weapon though. I did some grinding as the default Shell (in the "real world") for souls and got some stuff with those souls. Surprised there doesn't seem to be any leveling up. Haven't been able to really do any grinding in the Reverie as Eredrim because I can't go back and spend them once I'm out in the battlefield.

Using the hammer and chisel and Eredrim, which this thread said is the most OP shell.

Is there any particular way to gimp this? Cause at this point I just want to progress. Having 2-4 adds jump on me sometimes when I get into a fight is so obnoxious. Whenever I get a one-on-one fight I do fine and I understand the stone mechanic (very cool idea) but then every couple fights I get adds from some unseen alcove and get ganked. Maybe I should just start new Returnal Cycles until I start with a really good initial skill, since that's random too?

Does this have like, heals? Only thing I've found is an item that makes your next stone block heal you a bit, which is kind of anemic. I have Heal Riposte, but the parry in this game seems to have a miniscule window that doesn't make much sense (had zero issues parrying in Wo Long or Souls) and I usually just get hit anyway so I'm more inclined to roll instead. Even when I do get a parry off, my character takes longer to animation-recover than the enemy does! I get a hit or two and then roll away, no critical hit which is needed to activate the heal because it takes so long to actually riposte.

First 30 seconds of this say Eredrim can stack up a damage bonus as he defeats more enemies without dying, and the bonus just keeps going and going. I don't seem to be accumulating any buff though. Maybe it has to be unlocked? That's probably the key, even if it's very nerfed now (stacks to 100 instead of going beyond that, which is still good)

Regardless, after four hours of making seemingly no progress I was ready to toss this in the trash and spend this time on something else, but I figured I'd ask on here before I do that and see if I can get some insight on this game. Looks like it's actually pretty easy once broken, I just don't know how to start it really.

EDIT: No wonder I'm so confused, I've been playing the DLC. They basically put access to the DLC right there in the central hub with nothing indicating that it's DLC. So all this time I've been playing this roguelike game as Eredrim, I was playing the DLC. The regular game isn't a roguelike and seems to be more about just making your way to the 3 dungeons and getting through those. Not sure whose idea it was to put the DLC in the main game and have it right at the start so a lot of new people will think THAT is the game. Time to leave the Reverie and start trying to book it to the dungeons and get Eredrim and the hammer/chisel for real.

EDIT 2: Found a video that does a good job explaining how to gimp the game (i.e. make it manageable/fun) and followed that:

Doesn't take too long to run around grabbing this stuff and the game is much better after that, feels like normal Souls difficulty now rather than an un-fun mess. The dual-wield weapon makes the game a lot more playable on a first run.

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Finished this, actually a really good game once you get sorted out with a better weapon and some powerups and can progress. It's super short though (8 hrs) and probably only worth like $10. It's impressive how pretty it looks for an indy game. Like it's right up there with Elden Ring sometimes visually. It's got a certain oppressive atmosphere as well. Glad I didn't just trash it at the beginning like I wanted to. With no leveling system and relatively limited combat I don't know if it really could have lasted longer than 8 hrs without getting redundant anyway, so it's probably just the right time requirement. Seems like the beginning of something great that they just ran out of time/money/whatever on. Check it out if you're a big Souls connoisseur or something like that.