Most memorable comic book moments

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Spoiler Alert, click show to read:In FC#6, Batman is seen facing off with Darkseid. He"s figured out where he is, and has confronted him. He has a gun capable of killing Darkseid. He shoots Darkseid with it, but not before Darkseid fires his Omega effect.

A few pages later,Superman comes back to Earth with what looks to be Batman"s corpse. By all appearances, it looks like Batman has been killed by Darkseid.

There are so many ways for them to get around this:

1- In Batman/Superman, there is a story arc, where Darkseid makes it look like Supergirl is dead. His omega effect can be used for other things, like teleporting. He makes it look like Supergirl has been disintegrated, but really he"s teleported her and has Desaad brainwash her into becoming his minion. Maybe Darkseid has done the same with Batman. After all, Darkseid has said that of all the heroes, he respects Batman the most because of his cunning (even more than Superman).

2- Darkseid"s omega effect disintegrates everyone it touches. The only beings to not be vaporized by it are Superman, Wonder Woman and Doomsday. To be consistent with the lor, there would be no body or costume left for Batman.

3- Darkseid also has the power to resurrect with his omega beams. A pissed off Superman might be able to pummel Darkseid into resurrecting Batman.

4- Batman"s proteges have access to Ras Al Ghul"s Lazarus pits (that can ressurect somone from their remains.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Zhaun"s_Shade said:
Last page of Final Crisis #6 belongs here, but I"ll wait a few days due to spoiler.
Already all been posted in Random pics thread so I doubt it matters, that and people here understand things will contain spoilers.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Kinda hard to have a Memorable Comic Book Moment thread and not have spoilers. Just post so we can talk already

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hatorade said:
Already all been posted in Random pics thread so I doubt it matters, that and people here understand things will contain spoilers.
You are right - its already up in screenshots for all to see, and I did start this thread with a huge warning that it would be a spoilerfest. Discuss.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
There are so many ways for them to get around this:

1- In Batman/Superman, there is a story arc, where Darkseid makes it look like Supergirl is dead. His omega effect can be used for other things, like teleporting. He makes it look like Supergirl has been disintegrated, but really he"s teleported her and has Desaad brainwash her into becoming his minion. Maybe Darkseid has done the same with Batman. After all, Darkseid has said that of all the heroes, he respects Batman the most because of his cunning (even more than Superman).

2- Darkseid"s omega effect disintegrates everyone it touches. The only beings to not be vaporized by it are Superman, Wonder Woman and Doomsday. To be consistent with the lore, there would be no body or costume left for Batman.

3- Darkseid also has the power to resurrect with his omega beams. A pissed off Superman might be able to pummel Darkseid into resurrecting Batman.

4- Batman"s proteges have access to Ras Al Ghul"s Lazarus pits (that can ressurect somone from their remains).

5- Nobody stays dead in comics, especially the cash cows. Batman is now DC"s biggest cash cow, even more than Superman. They"ll find a way to bring him back before the next installment of TDK.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Was a list of ways to resurrect Batman even necessary? When Marvel decided they had written themselves into a large enough corner (i.e. got lazy) they fucking invoked Mephistopheles to fix up Spider Man so they could get back to telling standard Spidey stories instead of bothering to explore the story they spent over a year developing. DC could just have a chair descend from Heaven for all it mattered.

But I don"t believe this will have a quick fix. After what happened with characters like Jean Grey and Superman I really believe that DC isn"t going to be so eager to shoot themselves in the foot. They hurt themselves badly with the Death of Superman so expect them to take a different course. They can still sell issues of Superman/Batman, Frank Miller"s All Star Batman and Robin, and probably a few others so people can still buy Bruce Wayne-as-Batman comics and those stories can still be told. The longer that Marvel and DC can leave Captain America and Batman dead the more they can deflate the incredible cynicism they both created. If it wasn"t for that stupid fucking Spider Man retcon things they wouldn"t have quite so much ground to regain.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Arbitrary said:
Was a list of ways to resurrect Batman even necessary?
Yes, some people said they wanted to discuss this. I have a hard time believing they"ll kill him off perma, considering TDK just did $600 million+.

Who knows, now that DC has a new lantern corp consisting of dead people, maybe he"ll come back as a Black Lantern. Martian Manhunter died in FC#1, and DC has already said he"s coming back from the grave and will be a Black Lantern.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I"m not saying they"ll do it permanently but there are just so many other options available that he can sit on the back burner for a long time. Hell, they could start up a Frank Miller DK Returns universe comic and follow Batman around for the final few years before he decided to retire. They already isolated those stories as their on continuum anyway.

Ultimate Batman!

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Now there"s even more conjecture about Batman"s death, and its not something I caught earlier. Quite frankly, Final Crisis has been so hard to follow that this missed me entirely. Apparently the Omega beams can do more than just disintegrate, teleport and resurrect.

Newsarama.com : Batman R.I.P. - Finally?

Newsarama said:
The next two questions that can be asked go hand in hand - what "killed" Batman and how "dead" is he?

Two spoiler puppies are here to save you from seeing the image described at left

Batman was nailed by Darkseid's Omega Sanction, rays of energy that transport the target into a series of successively worsening alternate lives (as shown by Morrison in the Seven Soldiers: Mr. Miracle miniseries in 2005-2006, and stated plainly by Darkseid in Final Crisis #6). Of course, taking a closer look, which is always a good idea with Morrison's work, you see that the beams nail Batman in the head and the heart which probably has some meaning.

Over the course of Final Crisis, Morrison has proven himself to be a major Jack Kirby (Darkseid creator) scholar, and as such, has adopted the Omega Sanction from Kirby"s original use of it back in Forever People #6 ("The Omega Effect!"). In that story, Darkseid hit every member (save one, Serifan) to various points in time, where they're all later rescued as shown in Forever People #7. Morrison himself even plays with the fact in Final Crisis #6 when Sonny Sumo discusses coming from a "Lateral Universe" with Mr. Miracle, Shilo Norman. Sonny was sent back to Feudal Japan by Darkseid's Omega Beams, where, as Kirby showed, he lived a happy, full life - the "Omega Sanction" was apparently later refined to be a bit more sadistic. Sonny's back in his original state, he explains, due to falling through a hole in his life into that Sonny Sumo's life (no - there is no pronoun trouble in that sentence, Elmer Fudd).

Long explanation short - there's a wide open backdoor to Bruce Wayne's "death" that Morrison is even hinting isn"t final in the same issue where Batman "dies."

Of course, bigger picture - what does this mean? If we take the notion of the Omega Sanction at face value, that Bruce Wayne has been sent back through time to live a series of successively crappier lives, well, honestly, that"s cool. Through the course of "Batman R.I.P." (as well as Morrison"s run as writer on Batman), he"s shown himself to be ready for anything, even up to the point of creating an alternate personality to retreat into if the situation deteriorated, and using his memories as a weapon. Frankly, living a series of successively crappier lives would cause Superman to call it quits around life 20 or so, but Bruce Wayne? Bring it on. So - again, if the speculation about the Omega Sanction is right - Bruce has been taken off the stage for a while, either to be rescued by a time-traveling hero, or setting things up for a big, dramatic reveal down the line.
There is more credence to the line of thought that says that Batman isn"t dead, but worse. Somehow the Omega sanction has sent Batman into multiple alternate realities where he is destined to live 20 or 30 suckier lives than he had. So all it takes is someone who travels through alternate realities (like Booster Gold) to go get him, and then its business as usual.

JustPressPlay said:
Just as The Dark Knight"s marketing was at its peak, DC announced that fans would see the end of Bruce Wayne as Batman in a storyline called Batman R.I.P. Many accused the story of being a gimmick to draw in the Dark Knight crowd, speculating that DC wouldn"t actually kill Batman.When asked about it in interviews, writer Grant Morrison claimed that he wasn"t interested in killing characters-he prefers having them suffer a fate worse than death.

I am pretty confident Bruce Wayne/Batman is dead. I do highly doubt he will stay that way for a long time however.

At the same time though, we know both Nightwing"s and Robin"s solo books are canceled (only one or two issues of each left) and we are going into a mini-series soon "Battle for the Cowl" where the Bat-family (including some villians) sort themselves out in a world without Bruce Wayne. This includes a new Batman.

So, no, it isn"t the end of the world, but should be an interesting story in the meantime.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Zhaun"s_Shade said:
I am pretty confident Bruce Wayne/Batman is dead. I do highly doubt he will stay that way for a long time however.
With TDK bringing in all those hundreds of millions, I somehow think he"ll be back in time for it.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I am genuinely curious to know what correlation the films have to monthly issue sales. If someone liked the recent movies and wanted to read about Batman any nerd they would ask would probably point them to some of his iconic stories that can be purchased in trade paperback. Running out and picking up a few issues of Batman or Detective Comics isn"t likely to make much sense and the quality of the storytelling is fairly chaotic. I wouldn"t expect most people who would normally not buy comics continuing with those purchases month to month.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Are those panels in order? Because that makes zero fucking sense. Batman dies, then Superman is tear-assing through the city (through the middle of the other heroes), then suddenly he has Batman"s corpse? Is this one of those things that won"t make sense unless I read the books?

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Arbitrary said:
I am genuinely curious to know what correlation the films have to monthly issue sales. If someone liked the recent movies and wanted to read about Batman any nerd they would ask would probably point them to some of his iconic stories that can be purchased in trade paperback. Running out and picking up a few issues of Batman or Detective Comics isn"t likely to make much sense and the quality of the storytelling is fairly chaotic. I wouldn"t expect most people who would normally not buy comics continuing with those purchases month to month.
A friend of mine who is a manager at a comic book store (that now has to sell videogames, movies and books to stay afloat) told me that they usually sell out of a comic book that has a movie that just came out. He said that the boost in sales usually lasts a few months, until people get tired of paying $4 for just a few pages.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
chaos said:
Are those panels in order? Because that makes zero fucking sense. Batman dies, then Superman is tear-assing through the city (through the middle of the other heroes), then suddenly he has Batman"s corpse? Is this one of those things that won"t make sense unless I read the books?
They are in order. Superman"s best friend is Batman, and it looks like he went berserk, and then goes back to get his body. And as far as holding his corpse, for some reason, in all the big DC crossovers, when someone dies, Superman holds their corpse just like that. He did it in Crisis on Infinite Earths when Supergirl died, and they used the same pose for Final Crisis.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The pose I get, the panels just seem disjointed, like there are some missing. I may have to check this out now, just to understand what"s going on there.

chaos said:
The pose I get, the panels just seem disjointed, like there are some missing. I may have to check this out now, just to understand what"s going on there.
There is a huge fight going on in Bludhaven, what is left of the heroes trying to defeat Darkseid"s minions (and basicly losing). Batman was inside with Darkseid (captured then broke free) and confronts him. Superman has been in another time/universe/thing the whole time so basicly "missing" as far as everyone else is concerned. This is the first time Superman shows up on the battlefield, to recover Batman"s body and do that cool pose thing.