Most memorable comic book moments

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Braen said:
Current "Old Man Logan" storyline is awesome.
Yeah it is, here is the story so far taken from the wiki:
Spoiler Alert, click show to read:

50 years later, Logan lives with his wife Maureen, his son Scotty and daughter Jade on a plot of land in Sacramento, California, now part of land known as "Hulkland". He requires money to pay his rent to the landlords of this territory: the descendants of Bruce Banner, the Hulk, who are a product of years of incestuous procreation. He refuses to sell his children"s toys to pay for the rent. Logan is shown as a broken old man, refusing to fight anyone and living peacefully; he realizes that he will be unable to pay the rent, and that the Hulk family will not accept a plea to pay double next month on its own.

The Hulk gang arrives the next day to confront Logan on his lack of payment, and violently beat him, deriding his inability to fight back despite once having been the most violent of superheroes; though Logan entertains visions of gutting the eldest Hulk brother, he remains calm and takes his beating, to the disappointment of his son, Scott. While healing from the injuries in bed during the night - though very slowly due to his age - and is confronted by a blinded, elderly Hawkeye. In order to pay off his rent, Logan accepts a job from Hawkeye: help him navigate across the country and deliver a secret package, possibly illegal.

The next morning Logan says goodbye to his wife and children. They leave in the vehicle once known as the Spider-mobile, newly customised by Hawkeye for a long trek. Hawkeye is in the driving seat; despite his being blind, the vehicle is still his, and Logan"s purpose along the journey is to help him stick to the right direction.

Turning on the car"s Satnav, Logan (and the reader) sees a map of America, now a land dominated entirely by supervillains, who have renamed cities and areas in America for themselves, with names such as Lair of the Creel Gang, The Lizard King, Paste Pot Creek, Hammer Falls, Osborn City,The Kingdom of the Kingpin, and Doom"s Lair. The route plotted for the two old men goes straight through neo-America.

They pass San Francisco, where Mole Man"s moloids have devastated the area. A biker gang, calling themselves the "Ghost Riders", attack the two partners and try to see what Hawkeye/Clint Barton is carrying in the Spider-Mobile"s trunk. Logan takes a beating from the gang, and Hawkeye kills them all. When asked why he didn"t defend himself, Logan has a brief flashback which reveals a massive beating from a being strongly resembling Wild Child or Sabretooth, Apocalypse, Omega Red, and Mr. Sinister. The pair then travel to Hammer Falls, formerly Las Vegas, where people gather to pray for the return of the heroes. There, an Ultron robot tells Clint his third wife, who is Spider-Man"s youngest child, is waiting for him: their child got the idea of assuming the mantle of Spider-Girl and went to confront the Kingpin, where she will soon be executed.

Logan and Hawkeye head for the Kingpin"s headquarters to rescue Spider-Girl who attempted to defeat the kingpin with the help of Daredevil and The Punisher. In an arena filled with cheering spectators, the new Kingpin (after stating that he killed Magneto because he got too old, and took his turf) has the two executed by feeding them to dinosaurs.

After crashing the Spider-mobile through the side of the building holding Spider Girl, Hawkeye kills all of the guards without the help of Logan. The Kingpin arrives as Hawkeye frees his daughter. But upon being freed, she slays Kingpin and turns on Hawkeye, revealing that she is in fact only interested in ruling over the Kingpin"s turf. As Spider-Girl prepares to kill Hawkeye, Logan looks on. Having only accompanied Hawkeye to the end of helping his family out their financial rut and taken a vow of pacifism (refusing to so much as pop his claws for the last several decades) Logan reluctantly prepares to step into the conflict, saying before he does, "Damn you to hell for making me do this, Hawkeye."

Wolverine then proceeds to drive the Spider-Mobile through the site of the brawl, grab Hawkeye, and crash out the side of the building, the two making a break for it. Spider Girl then orders her new minions after them, and, soon, Logan and Hawkeye are being chased down by at least 50 cars, some with Raptors. Before they can gain on the two heroes, the Moloids collapse the ground around them, swallowing them into the Earth.

Logan awakes a few hours later, completely underground thousands of feet. Logan activates a glow-stick, and sees that the Moloids have devoured everyone except Logan and Hawkeye. He then helps Hawkeye out of an overturned Spider Mobile, then get in, and use the Spider Mobile to drive up the wall underground and out of the chasm. They then proceed to drive cross-country, back on their route. On their way, they pass through Paste Pot Creek, Wyoming (Home to dinosaur imports from the Savage Land), Electroville (Where a collapsed Baxter Building lies over the giant skeleton of Loki), and through South Dakota, where the Red Skull, the new president of the United States, has his face on Mount Rushmore (Also home to a hostless Venom symbiote).

They make their way to Iowa, where the two stop at a bar for a drink. It is here that Wolverine reveals that he"s only doing this for the money to pay the rent for his family. He says he doesn"t get excited by death anymore, and doesn"t want to go back to the way he was - that he says he"s afraid to. That statement triggers a flashback to Wolverine, costume torn and bloodied, standing over the dead bodies of Omega Red, Mister Sinister, and Lady Deathstrike. A man then comes over and is about to joke about the two heroes" "heart-to-heart" when Wolverine tackles him and puts his fist under his jaw, tempting him to make a joke. He then storms out of the bar, after being stopped by Hawkeye. Hawkeye, frustrated and curious, begs Logan to tell him what happened to him. Logan then agrees to tell him his story about what happened to him on the night the heroes fell.

Wolverine recants to Hawkeye the tale of the night the heroes fell after a group of super villains (many of whom were already dead) seemingly invade the mansion. Wolverine begins to evacuate the younger students while the rest of the X-Men had mysteriously vanished since the onslaught began. Finally the fight comes down to Wolverine and Bullseye. After finally killing him off, Bullseye is revealed to be Jubilee. Mysterio appears and the illusion is swept away: Wolverine had slaughtered the X-Men. Stricken with grief, Wolverine runs into the wilderness and is unable to account for his time there. He then tries to kill himself by laying his neck on the train tracks as a train approaches. The act doesn"t kill Wolverine but he decides that "Wolverine" is dead, puts the violence of his past behind him and goes simply by Logan. Wolverine hasn"t used his claws since that night 50 years ago. After the flashback, Wolverine and Hawkeye set out back on their journey. They come across a young boy named Dwight wearing Ant-Man"s helmet and asking for a toll of 80 cents to cross a bridge. If they don"t pay he will have the ants take care of them to which Logan replies "is this a joke?" Hawkeye pays the toll and tells Logan the kid was serious and that it"s 80 cents well spent. As they drive over the bridge several corpses are seen under it. They continue on past a herd of dinosaurs while a Venom symbiote controlled Tyrannosaurus Rex follows behind them.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I"m glad to see that where I live, Sacramento, will at least be ruled by badass Hulk people instead of pussies like the mole people in the future.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I have no nice pics to post, just memories of some of my favorite stories. I stopped reading comics when it became so in-your-face commercial I just couldn"t stomach it anymore. I mean, I realize it"s a business like any other, there to make money. But at some point it just felt like Marvel and Image completely sold out, and Valiant collapsed (my only real experience with DC was their Vertigo line).

The OP mentions the Death of Superman as a monumental moment. It was. It was the moment the industry went to shit. That was the beginning of the end for me. Who honestly thought he was dead? Nah, just a way to sell 10 different covers and get some national news attention. Luckily I"ve picked up a few trade paperbacks lately that have restored my faith in the industry.

There was a little short story in one of the old X-Men annuals (maybe X-factor?) with Mystique saying her final farewell to Destiny, who had died. Good stuff no one will ever remember heh.

I guess there were less moments for me and more series or story arcs that fucking rocked. Daredevil 297(?)-300 "Fall of the Kingpin" was a truly epic finale to the relationship between them, but then I heard later on Kingpin came back (/sigh).

Of course the standard awesome stuff like Preacher, Dark Knight Returns, Sandman, Watchmen, Kingdom Come. The original Infinity Gauntlet 6 parter was great, especially when Adam talked privately with Wolverine and Hulk because "they were the only ones who could do what had to be done". The whole short series was awesome.

I started both Powers and 100 Bullets, and enjoyed them, but never continued with them for whatever reason. Are they worth picking up the whole series?

Also, high-five to any old Valiant fans. So much potential gone =/ There was a great interview with Jim Shooter (extremely long) discussing the "behind the scenes" shit/insider gossip from his time at Marvel as well as what happened with Valiant. A must read for any Valiant fan. I can dig up the link if anyone is interested. I think I got it from somewhere on this forum now that I think on it.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah someone had posted that Jim Shooter interview here. Valiant is just about the definition of lost potential. Such a great universe with great storylines, designed from the ground up to mesh together. Solar was my favorite. Him and XO Manowar.

I stopped reading comics around the time Valiant collapsed, at least mainstream comics. I kept reading some of the Vertigo stuff and some other indie stuff (I really liked Cerebus and Poison Elves).

Runnen_foh

shitlord
Becoming first black US President? Check!
Becoming first comic book character President? Check!
What"s next?

spider_man_HV_20090108151533.jpg

2009-01-08-spideyobama1.jpg

2009-01-08-spideyobama2.jpg

spider_man_HV_20090108151533.jpg

2009-01-08-spideyobama1.jpg

2009-01-08-spideyobama2.jpg

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
OneofOne said:
I started both Powers and 100 Bullets, and enjoyed them, but never continued with them for whatever reason. Are they worth picking up the whole series?
I never started on 100 bullets, should download a few and see if I like it. But Powers I wholeheartedly recommend at least the first series. The first 15-20 of the second series are good stuff too. After that it kinda goes a little downhill, but still worth reading. But you should absolutely read the first 37 issues. I have a few of the TPBs and they are one of my favorites parts of my meager collection.

edit: Was just re-reading through Invincible and got to the part where he kills Angstrom Levy. After Angstrom takes his mom and kid brother hostage and beats the shit out of his mom.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also wanted to post the sequence from The Boys where Hughie kills Blarney Cock on accident then the hamster crawls out from his ass, but it"s like a bunch of pages. Same with the part where you find out The Seven are scumbags when they make Starlight blow them. Great stuff, really sets up the entire series, and just too damn many pages to post=P

Cybsled

According to CNN, the main reason they did the Obama/Spiderman cross over was because Obama is a big Spiderman fan who collected the comics.

Ralphus_foh

shitlord
OneofOne said:
I have no nice pics to post, just memories of some of my favorite stories. I stopped reading comics when it became so in-your-face commercial I just couldn"t stomach it anymore. I mean, I realize it"s a business like any other, there to make money. But at some point it just felt like Marvel and Image completely sold out, and Valiant collapsed (my only real experience with DC was their Vertigo line).

The OP mentions the Death of Superman as a monumental moment. It was. It was the moment the industry went to shit. That was the beginning of the end for me. Who honestly thought he was dead? Nah, just a way to sell 10 different covers and get some national news attention. Luckily I"ve picked up a few trade paperbacks lately that have restored my faith in the industry.

There was a little short story in one of the old X-Men annuals (maybe X-factor?) with Mystique saying her final farewell to Destiny, who had died. Good stuff no one will ever remember heh.

I guess there were less moments for me and more series or story arcs that fucking rocked. Daredevil 297(?)-300 "Fall of the Kingpin" was a truly epic finale to the relationship between them, but then I heard later on Kingpin came back (/sigh).

Of course the standard awesome stuff like Preacher, Dark Knight Returns, Sandman, Watchmen, Kingdom Come. The original Infinity Gauntlet 6 parter was great, especially when Adam talked privately with Wolverine and Hulk because "they were the only ones who could do what had to be done". The whole short series was awesome.

Also, high-five to any old Valiant fans. So much potential gone =/ There was a great interview with Jim Shooter (extremely long) discussing the "behind the scenes" shit/insider gossip from his time at Marvel as well as what happened with Valiant. A must read for any Valiant fan. I can dig up the link if anyone is interested. I think I got it from somewhere on this forum now that I think on it.
Yah those encompass most of my fondest memories as well, specially the Valiant stuff. One image that I remember the most, was Uncanny X-men during the Dark Phoenix Saga, where (cant remember the fat guy"s name) the black bishop or King of the Hellfire club causes Wolverine to gain so much weight that he crashes through the floors of the club and seemingly out of the picture. Then in short order the rest of the Xmen are subdued and all seems lost until,,,in the sewers a hand reaches up,,,grabs some pipes or utility wires and Logan emerges to say "Now its my turn". Not 100% accurate but still a great memory.

Peter David"s run on the Hulk also rocked.
Steve Larsen on Amazing Spiderman after MacFarlane left.
Xmen cover with Wolverine nailed to a cross by the Reavers.
Dark Horse issues of Alien,,,those were great.
Anyone remember NOW comics and the Terminator run? It sorta sucked but meh
Evil Ernie/Lady Death

I stopped collecting (although got the WWH run) mainly due to cost and story quality. Lol but mainly cost,,,3.99 for huge splash pages bleh. Did Battlechasers ever end????

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ralphus said:
I stopped collecting (although got the WWH run) mainly due to cost and story quality. Lol but mainly cost,,,3.99 for huge splash pages bleh.
Yeah this is why I love TPBs so much. Real high quality, bunch of issues, much cheaper generally. Never been in to the whole collecting thing really, but I imagine if I had 1000"s of single issues I"d become one of those people that keeps them all hermetically sealed and that just ruins the whole hobby to me. TPBs and collections though, I"ll thumb through those fuckers a few times a year. I think I"ve read through the first 2-3(only got 3 in November, so less) volumes of The Boys at least a dozen times now.

Caliane

Grimmlokk said:
Yeah this is why I love TPBs so much. Real high quality, bunch of issues, much cheaper generally. Never been in to the whole collecting thing really, but I imagine if I had 1000"s of single issues I"d become one of those people that keeps them all hermetically sealed and that just ruins the whole hobby to me. TPBs and collections though, I"ll thumb through those fuckers a few times a year. I think I"ve read through the first 2-3(only got 3 in November, so less) volumes of The Boys at least a dozen times now.
Yeah, collected editions, TPB, and graphic novels are the "future". pamphlet 22 page monthlys are not very cost effective, only the top 10 make any money. And the print runs on montlys are horrible.
TPB, novels are cheaper for the consumer and cheaper for the publisher/creators. Distribution is like 60% of the product cost, and availability on monthlys is terrible compared to TPB, which will be carried by Amazon, Borders, etc.
The other option is of course. Digital media. Most independents should REALLY pushing this option. As you really drop off the operation costs of publisher and distributor. Have potentially much larger distribution. A book that would only sell 5000 copies in stores would be loosing $5-9k, but be making money or at least pay for creation costs digitally, with advertisements, subscriptions or even donations potentially.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
You can generally pick up all the issues involved in a trade on ebay for about the same price as the TPB if you were to actually want each book since most ebay dealers sell common print older books for like $1.25 to $2, which is pretty close to what a trade costs per issue enclosed.

I don"t really like reading comics on my computer (or books for that matter), I very much enjoy holding it in my hands (but I havent tried one of those digital readers).

Marvel has been printing something that kind of bridges the gap between trades and monthlys as well. Since their crossovers tend to include like 4 or 5 books, even trades dont get every side issue. They have been releasing "XXX Chronicles" or something similarly named that have the main issue of the arc and a couple of the tie in issues. Its usually 2 to 4 books in one oversize issue for like the cost of 1 and a half issues. Still not as cheap as the TPB, but you get more tie in issues.

ShaKadelic_foh

shitlord
Only comic scene i remember clearly from my childhod days was in some old spiderman comic. Carnage just slaughtered some people with his axe-like hands, then he lured spiderman into some old house to finish him off.
Damn, that was great.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I"d link the pics, but I am not sure how to put the scans in a spoiler tag.

I don"t believe the ending to Final Crisis #6, but we"ll talk about it in a few days after people have had a chance to read it. There are so many flaws in what happened on the last page, it isn"t funny. Nothing of what happened on the last page is consistent with what DC lore is, if you look close. Nice fake ending.