Most memorable comic book moments

Peacecraft_foh

shitlord
So does Checkmate"s Black Gambit refer to Batman or is it referring to something else? I know it has something to do with a contingency plan for when the super powered heroes fail but it could also have something to do with Batman since he has no powers. Or maybe I"m just reading too far into this and it"ll be explained in the next issue.

Peacecraft said:
So does Checkmate"s Black Gambit refer to Batman or is it referring to something else? I know it has something to do with a contingency plan for when the super powered heroes fail but it could also have something to do with Batman since he has no powers. Or maybe I"m just reading too far into this and it"ll be explained in the next issue.
They are planning on moving a lot of (I belive) normal people to another dimension or some such where they can be ruled by Brother Eye (and "cop-clones" that are copys of Renee Montoya [the current Question]) and the OMACs, making the old school Jack Kirby"s OMAC comic come true kinda.

One-Man Army Corps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So... yeah. It is basicly a shout out to old school hardcore comic people I guess. All we have to know is they are planning on teleporting a few million humans away to satfey and start over in another world.

Peacecraft_foh

shitlord
Zhaun"s_Shade said:
They are planning on moving a lot of (I belive) normal people to another dimension or some such where they can be ruled by Brother Eye (and "cop-clones" that are copys of Renee Montoya [the current Question]) and the OMACs, making the old school Jack Kirby"s OMAC comic come true kinda.

One-Man Army Corps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So... yeah. It is basicly a shout out to old school hardcore comic people I guess. All we have to know is they are planning on teleporting a few million humans away to satfey and start over in another world.
Interesting. Thanks for the reply.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wiki said:
Darkseid is among the most powerful New Gods, sometimes depicted with a variety of god-like abilities at his disposal. His main power, the Omega Effect, is a form of energy that he fires from his eyes as either concussive force or beams of disintegration, capable of transmuting or erasing most objects and organisms from existence as well as to reform or resurrect them. Darkseid has pinpoint control over his Omega Beams, and his unerring aim allows them to travel in straight lines, bend, twist, or curve around corners, and can pass through matter and energy. Darkseid at one point claimed that no living being had ever survived the full force of the Omega Effect, but extremely powerful beings, such as Doomsday and Superman, have survived them, and they have been shown to be ineffective against the bracelets of Wonder Woman. Darkseid is also able to project the Omega Effect as energy blasts from his hands. Another type of Omega Effect is the Omega Sanction.The Omega Sanction traps the organism in a series of alternate realities, each worse than the previous one.
Now that Booster Gold hops between timelines and realities to safeguard them, maybe he"ll just pluck Batman out. I had no idea that the Omega Sanction was an actual variant on the Omega effect. So they basically picked an obscure comic book, and showed this power of the omega effect there only, and not many people have actually read it, and based Batman"s fate on it.

- nerdpoints for me

nosf_foh

shitlord
The Omega Sanction was used in the past year or so to great effect in the Mr. Miracle limited series that was part of Seven Soldiers and served as a lead in to Final Crisis. I suspect it was used if for no other reason than to remind people of it so they knew what it was when Batman got zapped by it.

Kez_foh

shitlord
Thanks for that Comic Book reader, had been wanting to go back and reread Powers without having to dig all the issues out.

Leviothan_foh

shitlord
Did anyone happen to read Meltdown? This comic is very memorable to me as it depicts the life a Fire-based hero and how he handles learning he is going to die because of his powers. It showcases his entire life from birth till death as he goes through what every hero goes through: Family problems, love, forming a team, enemies, and moments that cause a break down. I highly recommend it if anyone is interested in it.

meltdown1.jpg

meltdown1.jpg

Jabberwhacky_foh

shitlord
Anyone mind naming those characters in the "Battle for the Cowl" pic up there? Specifically the commando-batman with pistols and almost-normal batman who has spiky triangles in his cape.

Jabberwhacky said:
Anyone mind naming those characters in the "Battle for the Cowl" pic up there? Specifically the commando-batman with pistols and almost-normal batman who has spiky triangles in his cape.
We don"t know 100%, but best guesses I have heard, from left to right are:

Tim Drake (Current Robin, dressed as Batman here)

Harley Quinn (No idea why she is here)

Alfred (Dressed like a commando)

Dick Grayson (Current Nightwing, dressed as Batman here)

Empty Batman Suit

Harvey Dent/Two-Face (Who did in fact help protect Gotham for a time in the past. Dressed kinda like Batman here)

Gun-Batman (Not sure who this is, many guess at Jason Todd, former Robin, but there are other possibilities).

Dead-Girl-In-Wayne-Enterprises-Box (Not sure who this is)

Batwoman (Current Batwoman. The lesbian)

Daimian (Bruce Wayne and Talia Al-Gul"s son)

Thomas Elliot/Hush/faux Bruce Wayne (Has plastic surgery to make himself look like Bruce Wayne and is masqurading as him in the South Pacific)

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They somehow managed to make Batman"s death uninteresting. Awesome.

Couldn"t the last 20 posts have fit nicely in to the thread dedicated to Final Crisis? Not that it"s hurting anyone here, just kinda seemed sensible=P

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Grimmlokk said:
They somehow managed to make Batman"s death uninteresting. Awesome.

Couldn"t the last 20 posts have fit nicely in to the thread dedicated to Final Crisis? Not that it"s hurting anyone here, just kinda seemed sensible=P
It is more sensible to have it in the "Most Memorable Comic Book Moments" thread, as this thread has become a compilation of the last few decades. Ten years from now, when this thread is still alive, and the discussion on FC is long gone and buried, we"ll still have it here for posterity"s sake.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You really think our Ant-People overlords will let us keep it alive?

Back on topic=)

Spider-Man Reign

I don"t think I"ve ever heard anyone talk about this one before. It"s basically the Spider-Man version of Dark Knight Returns. Peter Parker is really old now. New York is under the control of gestapo like leaders who enforce no mask laws and keep it a fascist police state. JJJ gives Parker his Spider-Man mask and apologizes for being such an asshole for all those years. This is when he breaks down and puts the mask back on.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It"s a very well done little 4 part series. I think the fact that it really is a TDKR rip off is why no one mentions it. But it"s a very cool read. Well drawn and well written. I"d post the last page as well because it"s quite awesome, but don"t want to spoil it for anyone.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Zhaun"s_Shade said:
We don"t know 100%, but best guesses I have heard, from left to right are:

Tim Drake (Current Robin, dressed as Batman here)

Harley Quinn (No idea why she is here)

Alfred (Dressed like a commando)

Dick Grayson (Current Nightwing, dressed as Batman here)

Empty Batman Suit

Harvey Dent/Two-Face (Who did in fact help protect Gotham for a time in the past. Dressed kinda like Batman here)

Gun-Batman (Not sure who this is, many guess at Jason Todd, former Robin, but there are other possibilities).

Dead-Girl-In-Wayne-Enterprises-Box (Not sure who this is)

Batwoman (Current Batwoman. The lesbian)

Daimian (Bruce Wayne and Talia Al-Gul"s son)

Thomas Elliot/Hush/faux Bruce Wayne (Has plastic surgery to make himself look like Bruce Wayne and is masqurading as him in the South Pacific)
I"m annoyed that they are doing the exact same thing w/ Batman"s "death" as the did with Superman"s.

Lanludar_foh

shitlord
Big Jokers card and Harley Quinn next to the guy on the far left and everyone thinks its Tim Drake? How the hell does that connection work?

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Are you saying you don"t think Tim Drake is in the picture? The connection is process of elimination and assumptions based on body shape/size.

Lanludar_foh

shitlord
The Ancient said:
Are you saying you don"t think Tim Drake is in the picture? The connection is process of elimination and assumptions based on body shape/size.
I am saying wtf does Tim Drake have to do with harley Quinn and the joker since the guy on the far left is obviously the one her and the joker card go with.

The Ancient said:
I"m annoyed that they are doing the exact same thing w/ Batman"s "death" as the did with Superman"s.
Are they? This seems different enough to me to be a valid story. Both characters are iconic, and would leave a huge void if they died/left. So I suppose it is similar, but at least this time it is using pre-existing characters with background and the whole thing (should) make more sense and have more depth.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Lanludar said:
I am saying wtf does Tim Drake have to do with harley Quinn and the joker since the guy on the far left is obviously the one her and the joker card go with.
You could make that argument, but the Joker card is a feature of the Batcave. Two-face is standing in front of his coin which supports your argument, but what does Alfred have to do with the animatronic Dinosaur?

Plus it doesn"tlooklike the Joker.

MrGraham_foh

shitlord
More recommendations on runs to read?

What do I search to find the plotline where Colossus dies for the Legacy Virus?

I"ve read -
X-Cutioner"s Song
Age of Apocalypse
Onslaught
Phalanx Covenant
The Ultimates (Avengers)
All of the Infinity Gauntlet series (this was too ... out there for me.)
A good chunk of Deadpool

I"m currently working on -
Planet Hulk / WWH / Aftersmash
Preacher
Civil War

I prefer staying in Marvel.

Edit - and nothing ongoing, complete story arcs.