Motorcycle Thread

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, the principle and physics are the same, but a bike weighs 20-30lbs vs 400-800 for most motorcycles, so the practical reality of turning on each is pretty different. I don't feel like there is much transferability between my mountain biking and motorcycling at all. Bikes you lean, motorcycles you counter steer.

Looking where you want to go very much applies to both, though.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
With the wife soon to start riding I've been looking into bluetooth intercom systems. As it turns out, those darn things aren't cheap. The good stuff is around $200-300 a piece, so 400+ for a pair.

I did find some chinese knockoffs in the $80-100 range for a pair. I mean, I'm expecting them to not be as good but the difference in price is just ridiculous.

Like that one at $78 which allow to connect 6 riders (but you can select only one at a time, kinda retarded in a group but for a pair of riders that fine).
Lexin 2016 New 2PCS 1200M Motorcycle Bluetooth Helmet Intercom for 6 riders BT Wireless intercomunicador Interphone Headsets MP3-in Helmet Headsets from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Or that one which is the improved version at $100 for a pair, which allow 4 people to yap at the same time.
1X 1500M for 4 Riders BT Motorcycle Helmet Headset Intercom wireless capacete Bluetooth interphone intercomunicadores de motos-in Helmet Headsets from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Anyone has experience with these?

Vinen

God is dead
Only assholes drive Motorcycles. Every-time I hear a douche driving one past my house after 10PM or before 6AM I get disturbing thoughts in my head.

But. Of all Motorcycle drivers Harley drivers are the worst. Some of the less obnoxious bikes are more acceptable.

• 1Like
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

They need to be loud so people can hear them coming! its a safety thing, that's why all the sound is projected behind them...wait...what?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
... the sound is also making the rider deaf and unable to hear what is going on around his bike. Going against the idea that the safety of the rider begins with the rider himself. Yeah, loud pipe save lives is a pretty dumb concept. It's just a poor rationalization of the actual truth, which is the guy likes to produce loud noises.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
What percentage of time in the life of a Harley will it spend idling compared to actually being ridden, 25%?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
What percentage of time in the life of a Harley will it spend idling compared to actually being ridden, 25%?

If by idling you mean being constantly revved "just to keep it going" then yes

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
With the wife soon to start riding I've been looking into bluetooth intercom systems. As it turns out, those darn things aren't cheap. The good stuff is around $200-300 a piece, so 400+ for a pair.

Anyone has experience with these?
I have never heard of those brands but amazon sells a pair of sena smh10's for $283.99.

https://www.amazon.com/Sena-SMH10-10-Motorcycle-Bluetooth-Intercom/dp/B0087NAWYQ

The headset got some pretty decent reviews. I wouldn't buy any headset unless I could read reviews as some are pretty bad with noise reduction and also distance communication.

And yeah Harley's rev bombing at stop lights annoy the sit out of me too. It's usually some middle aged dad in white socks and dad jeans.

Edit: whats up with the editor parsing amazon links as a media file?

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
I have tested a few intercoms with a mate that work at a importer .. Straya.. they were shit, most were line of sight so on winding roads they would drop out and have to be reset all the bloody time.
If it's you and the missus on the back then it'll be fine, but I'd be looking into the range and connection type before buying.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Reviews online on the $78 model are actually surprisingly good, it's been sold for a while and is even on Amazon. The other one appears to be their newest model and I could only find reviews in Lithuanian and Russian, from what I understood it did look alright (but then those guys also think wood is good base material for wheels).

Wouldn't surprise me line or sight might be an issue those testers didn't catch. That's a good point. Tho my biggest concern is the quality control. Those direct orders from the factory in China are like the goddamn lottery, either you have a perfect item or it's busted right out of the box, then have fun returning shit to China with a customer service who speaks English as a 5th language.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well, I finally had some time to do a few private lesson and passed my motorcycle skills assessment. I spent most of the first lesson on clutch control and the rest came pretty easily. Looking to buy my first bike now (used)... so far I have a weird obsession with the Honda Grom. I can get one pretty cheap too since riding season is pretty much over in Vancouver.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
A 125cc is fine in town but highways are pretty much off limit. Top speed on those is what, 100km/h? With that said, all those who own one seem to love the darn thing.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
A 125cc is fine in town but highways are pretty much off limit. Top speed on those is what, 100km/h? With that said, all those who own one seem to love the darn thing.
That's fine here in Vancouver. Our highways are generally only 90km/h so I can still do my road test on this little dude. The bike I really want is either the 2017 KTM Duke 390 or the BMW G310R, which aren't released yet so Grom is just a cheap bike to practice on in the meantime.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
That's fine here in Vancouver. Our highways are generally only 90km/h so I can still do my road test on this little dude. The bike I really want is either the 2017 KTM Duke 390 or the BMW G310R, which aren't released yet so Grom is just a cheap bike to practice on in the meantime.

I hear ya. I commute to work with my bike and honestly, over a full season, 90% of my riding is probably on 50km/h roads. So I can see how a grom fits for some users. With your history, something tame and forgiving is probably the best choice in order to give you some confidence before moving to something with more torque, not to mention the insurance will be as cheap as it gets. Grats BTW, with the work you put into it, you really earned that licence.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist

Both of those are built in India, be wary of initial run quality. The RC390 is pretty notorious for warping the head or flaking the hardening off the exhaust cam. And since the 310 is brand new, I'd wait on that as well.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Both of those are built in India, be wary of initial run quality. The RC390 is pretty notorious for warping the head or flaking the hardening off the exhaust cam. And since the 310 is brand new, I'd wait on that as well.
Yeah, I heard about the problems with the KTM, so I am waiting for the 2017. Aside from adding a bunch of new tech, it's suppose to have better quality control. I'm gonna wait and see which one has better reviews before buying. I just really like that style of bikes.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Yeah, I had an R3 (sold it to my buddy and then I bought a track R6 which I promptly crippled by disabling a cylinder). He's now replaced/upgraded the suspension with aftermarket shock and fork cartridge kits (the stock suspension is pretty trash and sprung for a 140lb Indonesian adult), a slipper clutch (like all of the competition comes with standard, sigh), and a better front brake.

Small bikes are fun. The R3 wasn't without its own recall issues (bearing on the clutch pull mechanism, and something water pump related).

I wish the MT-03 had been available in the US. When we had the R3 stripped down of all of its plastics, I kinda wanted to ride it around like that.