Motorcycle Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah, I had an R3 (sold it to my buddy and then I bought a track R6 which I promptly crippled by disabling a cylinder). He's now replaced/upgraded the suspension with aftermarket shock and fork cartridge kits (the stock suspension is pretty trash and sprung for a 140lb Indonesian adult), a slipper clutch (like all of the competition comes with standard, sigh), and a better front brake.

Small bikes are fun. The R3 wasn't without its own recall issues (bearing on the clutch pull mechanism, and something water pump related).

I wish the MT-03 had been available in the US. When we had the R3 stripped down of all of its plastics, I kinda wanted to ride it around like that.
I also wish Yamaha would at least offer ABS as an option in America. Makes no sense that the same bike in Europe has mandatory ABS, but not even offered here as an option. The R3 is meant to be a beginner bike and ABS can be life saving for a newbie.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just bought a second hand Honda Grom. It has quite a bit of mods/extra.

d28abd61-9edd-49e2-bdca-0e53a25eaad1.jpg

Pops

1978-kawasaki-kz750-b3.jpg

Sideswiped on the 405. Made a hell of a traffic jam. Caused two more accidents. Glad to be alive.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
So what do you bros think: I didn't take my battery out over winter (like an idiot), and it's flat dead. Hooked it up to the charger, and the charger registers it as perfectly fine, ie. it won't charge the battery, light stays green. Turn on the ignition, and the charger light flicks over to "charging." Is the battery done? What do you guys think?

bralkan

The old ways are still best
I'd get a multimeter and check the voltage across the battery. Is it over 12.5 volts?

You could have a connection that corroded over winter and the battery is fine. When you turn the ignition on, does anything else indicate the bike is drawing power?

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Is your charger directly on the battery or are you using some other kind of hook up?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Is your charger directly on the battery or are you using some other kind of hook up?

There's a short lead to it. I'm pulling the battery this weekend to check it and check the voltage. This damned bike has cost me a lot in the last year, and even though I love it, I am considering selling it once it's working well.

bralkan

The old ways are still best
Check the voltage before you do anything.

I used to restore late 70s/early 80s jap bikes [as a hobby].

I fucking hate electrical issues, but they are systematic.

Last edited:

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I'd take the battery out and test it by itself. That way that rules out any possible poor contact.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I need to invest in track coaching. Kind of a disappointing weekend where I felt like I made no progress in speed or safety. Feel like I'm riding at 5/10ths and accidentally riding into 9/10ths while still being slow and having no clue what my tires are doing.

Thing fucking sucks man.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Pulled the battery, it's totally done. Fine. Go to autozone, they want $189.99 for a replacement. Called Batteries Plus (or whatever), they give a two year warranty on the same battery for $99. Nice.

Also, what weight of oil would you guys put in a BMW for spring riding? I'm thinking 5w30

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
2000 r1100rt in Indiana.

Already pretty warm, I should probably just go straight in to summer oil.

• 1Like

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Almost bought a 2008 Triumph 675, ended up backing out the deal. Glad I got off the hype train, just isn't the right time personally.

• 1Like

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Today is 1 day before my learner's license expired, I passed my road test. Wasn't sure if I could even do it today because both my tires had cracks in them 2 days before my road test (the front tire crack looks pretty deep). Bike has less than 600 KM on it =/ My instructor was nice enough and let me use his rebel for the test.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
What the hell? The sidewalls don't look rotten and I've never seen a tire crack like that. The only cracks I've seen happen in the thread area were where the soft and hard compounds delaminated from each other, but that kind of crack is parallel to the rotation of the tire, not perpendicular to it.

Looks like some asshole slid a blade across you tires dude.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
What the hell? The sidewalls don't look rotten and I've never seen a tire crack like that. The only cracks I've seen happen in the thread area were where the soft and hard compounds delaminated from each other, but that kind of crack is parallel to the rotation of the tire, not perpendicular to it.

Looks like some asshole slid a blade across you tires dude.

Yes, something like that or it caught a sharp object not really while driving but just being moved around in the garage or something idk. Definitely not typical tire wear.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm

That's going to leave a mark.
Assuming that's an actual moto jacket might have ended up not all that bad considering. Probably a bit toasty lol.

Didn't know this thread existed. Got a 16 Vulcan S 3 months ago to commute as a first bike. Love it, 5k bike embarrassing a local Camaro at lights up thru 60 or so. But having to sell since wife not having me collecting bikes despite sparking her interest and she's learning on a grom atm.

Picked up a 15 versys 1000 last Saturday to improve my commute as far as a few gripes ( handguard so fingers dont freeze, i like the size and ride height for visibility and field of view, and hoping as a noob I'll have a better time leaning a standard seating bike over compared to my vulcan. I've scraped it's pegs but I'm still rough with a few 50-60 mph roads i have to make tight right turns without a turn lane and I'm trying to avoid being the guy stopping traffic taking a turn at 18mph.

6000000002.jpg
IMG_20170909_091551.jpg