Mount & Blade - A Clash of Kings 2.0 Releasing March 28th!

Zhaun_sl

shitlord

What is it about?

What features will it have?

Who knows! Nearly no information! Who cares! Already fapping!

*fapfapfapfap*

This is all the official info I could find:
This sandbox action-RPG strategy hybrid will take players on a journey into a fictional world of up-close and personal medieval combat on a huge scale, bigger, bloodier and more intense than ever before. Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord will build upon the popular Mount & Blade franchise bringing in many exciting and highly requested new features.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Don't care even slightly about this shit.

PoP 4 though? That's a horse of a different color.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I love M&B but for some reason I feel like they won't be able to improve on it. There's a ton of features you can throw into the campaign options, but I'll still have the most fun gathering my companions and making a rape squad that can take on 20x as many enemies. And I just don't see them creating a system where I have more fun riding my horsie around and cleaving fools.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
If they're smart they'll just take a "next logical step" with it and just remake Warband with a new engine and improved features.

Considering they did that with original M&B->Warband, there is a fair chance they'll do the same here.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Apologies if anyone was hoping for new information about either POP4 or Bannerlord - I do not have that. I looked around a little and POP4 is still in the same state it was months ago. Bannerlord has 1 video of some pre-alpha footage that I would not even link here (but I did) - it shows nothing but the overland map and simple gfx/animations.

Anyway - I was wondering if someone could comment on the Floris Mod Pack for Warband. I want to fire this up again and I have played vanilla and POP to bits before. I am torn between POP again or trying the Floris Pack. Any advice?

*edit
Here's a link to the bannerlord video, but really, it's not even worth the click:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZUfzAFL5Ek

Radge_sl

shitlord
A huge new Pendor update come out a few days ago, some pretty hefty changes. My personal favorite is the ability to create and customize your own Knighthood Order.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
A huge new Pendor update come out a few days ago, some pretty hefty changes. My personal favorite is the ability to create and customize your own Knighthood Order.
Well, Floris Mod Pack is better than Vanilla for sure, but it is not THAT different. Get the extended version of Floris, the only one that's worth something.

The Pendor Update is interesting, but I really wish they made the .py files available. I really want to add some scripts from Floris into PoP.

Bannerlord really needs to be a new kind of game. Actually, let me elaborate. From a gameplay perspective, Warband had two parts, one quite good - the tactical fight itself - and one quite bad - the stategic map gameplay. Now the strategic map gameplay has to go, it was a grindy abomination, ugly and pointless. Replace it with something else, something with a lot of quests, something like Heroes of Might and Magic or Total War.

The tactical fight itself just needs a bit of tweaking for the silly cavalry vs cavalry fights. Those too were a clusterfucky clusterfuck.

Add a proper editor for dialogs, quests, units and stats, and for the graphical resourses, use a system similar to steam workshop. There, now you have the greatest game ever made.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Well, Floris Mod Pack is better than Vanilla for sure, but it is not THAT different. Get the extended version of Floris, the only one that's worth something.

The Pendor Update is interesting, but I really wish they made the .py files available. I really want to add some scripts from Floris into PoP.

Bannerlord really needs to be a new kind of game. Actually, let me elaborate. From a gameplay perspective, Warband had two parts, one quite good - the tactical fight itself - and one quite bad - the stategic map gameplay. Now the strategic map gameplay has to go, it was a grindy abomination, ugly and pointless. Replace it with something else, something with a lot of quests, something like Heroes of Might and Magic or Total War.

The tactical fight itself just needs a bit of tweaking for the silly cavalry vs cavalry fights. Those too were a clusterfucky clusterfuck.

Add a proper editor for dialogs, quests, units and stats, and for the graphical resourses, use a system similar to steam workshop. There, now you have the greatest game ever made.
You should be punished.

If you just want to swing swords at people there have been two or three games in the past few years to support that. The single player, sandbox, strategic map play is what makes Mount & Blade the superior game it is and makes it a game with hours upon hours of replay

Warband was an excellent, must-have upgrade and PoP is an amazing popular mod because they expand and improve the sandbox, single player strategic level stuff.

Can they tweak the combat? Sure. Can the improve bits? Of course. Totally changing gears from what Warband is just seems like a bad plan.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
They could make combat not terrible as a good first step. And probably make it so pre-engagement strategic panels would actually mean something. Like control over where I put my archers, where I put my vanguard and all that. Not sure if something similar to that exists already as a mod.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Maybe you'd like the combat to be iterative QTEs? And maybe wamphyr would like the campaign to be a linear progression of cut scenes ordered battles?

Tenks

When did I say anything about QTE? They could make something like Witcher combat or anything more dynamic than the current one. If you are actually arguing that the combat system in the game is good then I dunno what to say. I'll disagree.

Zyke

Silver Knight of the Realm
I actually like the combat in the game. It's not perfect for sure and I'd love something like what Chivalry has, but it works for what it's meant to do. I agree on the unit placement- the game badly needs an ability to make custom formations and to place your units on the field before battle, like a Total War style pre-fight screen. Make it optional for people who don't care, but I'd love to be able to do that. Also, make sieges not the most awful thing ever created by man.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
I actually like the combat in the game. It's not perfect for sure and I'd love something like what Chivalry has, but it works for what it's meant to do. I agree on the unit placement- the game badly needs an ability to make custom formations and to place your units on the field before battle, like a Total War style pre-fight screen. Make it optional for people who don't care, but I'd love to be able to do that. Also, make sieges not the most awful thing ever created by man.
Install Pendor, which you should anyway, and a mod does just that. F1-F6 menus to tell people to go somewhere with a mobile reticule kind of thing. Also the usual formations are available and you can group your units to give orders to specific groups (like tight turtle infantry and spread out archers with a line of cavalry on the edge of the battle for example). Not super easy to use while fighting but it is usable - and it works perfectly before battle.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Keep in mind the base Mount & Blade is at least 5 years old at this point and was literally made by a pair of Pollocks in their basement or some shit. Considering that it is still better as a game than many big company, full budget projects released today in my opinion.

There are a lot of rough edges that can be touched up here, I won't say the game is perfect. I just find the essential underlying concept, the fundamental core of the game, is excellent and well delivered. It should be polished and improved upon, not changed.

Zyke

Silver Knight of the Realm
Install Pendor, which you should anyway, and a mod does just that. F1-F6 menus to tell people to go somewhere with a mobile reticule kind of thing. Also the usual formations are available and you can group your units to give orders to specific groups (like tight turtle infantry and spread out archers with a line of cavalry on the edge of the battle for example). Not super easy to use while fighting but it is usable - and it works perfectly before battle.
I've been playing Pendor on and off for years. I know about that system but it has major faults. Your archers can ONLY stand in a line, which means a lot of them are way out of position when you have more than a small group because the line gets so long. You also cant make custom formations to make sure your shield guys are always in front, it seems random how they line up/spawn. If you're against an aggressive opponent with cavalry it can also be difficult to form up in time before they hit you, especially on bad terrain.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm betting you know this but you can make them stand pretty closer together even though they're still a line.

Cavalry are so OP in M&B that the limited formation controls aren't that big of a deal unless you really want to use archery. Optimal strategies are pretty much charge here or charge there with your cavalry. And because cost is so trivial and max-party is based on total headcount there's very little reason to have non-cavalry party members.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
I'm betting you know this but you can make them stand pretty closer together even though they're still a line.

Cavalry are so OP in M&B that the limited formation controls aren't that big of a deal unless you really want to use archery. Optimal strategies are pretty much charge here or charge there with your cavalry. Andbecause cost is so trivialand max-party is based on total headcount there's very little reason to have non-cavalry party members.
When you cheat like Tuco it is!

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I want to be able to delegate control of squads/platoons/companies in the tactical map. Like, you lead these 30 lancers, you lead these 7 pikemen, he leads 10 of you pikemen commanders, etc.

Really amp up the general aspect as an evolution of gameplay in the late-game. This way I could better establish flanking and the such by telling my cavalry commander to take the east side of the map and harass them once we've begun to engage the main line. Or I can delegate the bulk of the army and go ride with the cavalry (approximately what I do now).

Tenks

Yeah and that is an improvement I'm talking about. Make it so stacking horse units isn't the clear cut only way to play. Make it so pikemen are a hard counter to horse units, archers are a hard counter to pikemen, horses a hard counter to archers and footmen rounded but not excel at anything. Give me a better strategic panel I can bring up during combat that isn't "go where I'm looking" or "charge with me" so I can constantly be moving my formation around depending on what the opponent is doing. Maybe even make it somewhat time realistic so you also have to invest in scouting units with greater vision and give it a fog of war similar to RTS where you can only see what your units can see. This may all be able to be done with a mod but it feels like a combat engine re-write is more in order to accomplish this.

IMO M&B is a fantastic game (hell I have probably 200hr+ played including PoP) but to try and act like it can't be improved upon seems a bit silly.

-edit-

Oh yeah optimize the game so they can actually have 2000 vs 2000 battles. So my rapesquad of horses doesn't take out 2000 people in small and manageable chunks.