Mount & Blade - A Clash of Kings 2.0 Releasing March 28th!

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Patience to find a poorly garrisoned initial target, in this case, Falcondark which had changed hands back and forth between Ravenstern and Fierdsvain more than once. Founded the old kingdom of pendor, immediately hired a mercenary company and hightailed it away from the 2k strong fierdsvain rape train to take Laria from Sarleon. I'm friendly with Noldor and now control the two castles north and east of Laria, so unless the Ravenstern want to brave the Jatu waste I won't get attacked from the north, I'm on good terms with the Empire but neutral with the D'Shar which means they'll probably declare on me soon. I don't have shit for right to rule, so I'm not going to get a peace offering any time soon. Still, getting your start as someone's vassal is just easy mode imo. Easy to build up renown and favor with your faction's lords, and then when you're ready you just start conquering fiefs and demanding them from your liege until he refuses. I spent a single month as a merc for Fierdsvain but aside from that I've done this playthrough all the hard way.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Patience to find a poorly garrisoned initial target, in this case, Falcondark which had changed hands back and forth between Ravenstern and Fierdsvain more than once. Founded the old kingdom of pendor, immediately hired a mercenary company and hightailed it away from the 2k strong fierdsvain rape train to take Laria from Sarleon. I'm friendly with Noldor and now control the two castles north and east of Laria, so unless the Ravenstern want to brave the Jatu waste I won't get attacked from the north, I'm on good terms with the Empire but neutral with the D'Shar which means they'll probably declare on me soon. I don't have shit for right to rule, so I'm not going to get a peace offering any time soon. Still, getting your start as someone's vassal is just easy mode imo. Easy to build up renown and favor with your faction's lords, and then when you're ready you just start conquering fiefs and demanding them from your liege until he refuses. I spent a single month as a merc for Fierdsvain but aside from that I've done this playthrough all the hard way.
Honestly, I don't remember how to get independant without becoming a vassal first.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
You start independent don't you? All you need is a castle to declare a new faction iirc.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Oh right. You just have to molest a faction's peasants and merchants enough to become an "enemy" so you can then attack a castle.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Or you can stumble across a battle in progress and assist one side.

So I've got one Qualis gem left, and I'm trying to decide if I should found a custom order or go with Silvermist rangers first, who not only rock but are fantastic when you're getting sieged constantly. They are practically noldor.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Siege fights are where the ruby 2h shines
Zhaun_sl said:
Do you not get murdered by arrows or do you use a big tower shield or something?
Patience to find a poorly garrisoned initial target
willywonka10903.jpg

The optimal weapons for sieges are :

A. One handed (So you can use a shield, arrows are the big threat in sieges)
B. Around a 110 length (So you are blocked by a minimal amount of walls/friendlies/shields/weapons, but it's still long enough to outrange most enemies when you're kiting)
C. As fast as possible (So you can take advantage of openings left by enemy animations).

This is based on winning around 500 sieges in M&B.

The 2H ruby sword is the best when you have a fast horse (Less threat from ranged weapons, less need for shield) and are fighting heavily armored enemies.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
What difficulty setting was he playing on? On easier difficulty settings a siege is literally sitting at the choke point and overhead swinging a 2H to one-shot rape a horde of people. If you play on the higher difficulties where arrows fuck you up (the AI is still too retarded to touch you melee) then that "strategy" no longer works.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
So I've got one Qualis gem left, and I'm trying to decide if I should found a custom order or go with Silvermist rangers first, who not only rock but are fantastic when you're getting sieged constantly. They are practically noldor.
Can't pass up on Custom Orders, too much awesomeness there, especially if you use Morghs item editor. Just lower the price of the wanted items and increase their availability and you will speed up the process. Furthermore, if you know how to import items from the OPS packs or even other mods - its not difficult at all really - you can have trully unique Custom Order Troops and a great roleplaying experience.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Regarding orders/silvermist/archers, my preferred archers are the doomguides (http://pop3.wikia.com/wiki/Doomguide) because:
1. They're fantastic archers (using noldor weapons, 400 archery, 9 horse archery).
2. They're mounted.
3. Their melee weapon is universally the doom mace, which means they're one of the few effective units at capturing enemies. Capturing enemies is the best income in the game.

As stated above my preferred order is the shadow legion because:
1. They have one of the best horses.
2. They have the highest weapon skill (500)
3. They all have shields.
4. They have some of the best armor and weapons.
5. They have javelins, which aren't that great but can be good.

However they have lances which are useful for the initial charge but useless after. I modded my game to remove them, but that's more of a nuisance than a big problem.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Can't pass up on Custom Orders, too much awesomeness there, especially if you use Morghs item editor. Just lower the price of the wanted items and increase their availability and you will speed up the process. Furthermore, if you know how to import items from the OPS packs or even other mods - its not difficult at all really - you can have trully unique Custom Order Troops and a great roleplaying experience.
How do you import anything into PoP? I wanted to import the companions I had from vanilla warband and it seemed impossible.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
It is complicated, and you can't import companions, or edit the script files. The script files, the *.py source files, are not released to the public, only the compiled *.txt files are. Those files can be edited with Morghs item editor, to an limited extend.

Thus you can edit existing Companions, and you could add a new one, but it won't show up in the game and probably will cause the game to crash. Items you can add a few, and if you flag them as merchandise, they will appear in the merchant list and in the Custom Orders Upgrade list. Still, it is safer to find a few already existing items and modify them completly. Give them new stats and more importantly, new meshes. Voila, you have a brand new item.

Other mods and scripts and packs are really tricky to add because you dont have access to the precompiled code.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I agree that Shadow Legion Centurions are probably the best all purpose order, but honor troops are a lot more expensive (and complicated) so assembling that massive doomstack of honor troops is going to take much longer now. I had great success in 3.42 with my old pendor army of Ebony Gauntlet, Silvermist, and Falcon Knights. Pendor does seem to be the most heavily dependent on honor troops out of all the factions because their basic troop lines suck so bad, so I'll probably be doing a custom knighthood order this time and use them exclusively since I won't have the honor (or Qualis gems) to found 3 chapter houses. The other advantage to using a single honor order is that you only have one to buy upgrades for.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I looked at the patch notes, the change was:

"Renown costs for Order knights increased a lot and depend on relations as well as honor"

How bad is it now? For me the prestige cost was negligible since I had so much prestige. They'd have to increase it an order of magnitude for me to even notice. The biggest impediment to upgrading knights was the fact that I had to click once per noble and once per knight, lol. But I only need a lot of them if I wanted to give them to militias.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
With 103 honor, my prestige cost for honor knights is still 33. If I spent all my current prestige (haven't spent any yet), I'd have enough for 80. An 80 strong block of any honor troop is a force to be reckoned with, but I'm pretty sure in 3.42 I'd have enough for like 200 honor knights, which is basically enough to just start steamrolling everything. Right now the only chapter house I control is the free one in Laria and even if I had Knights of Sarleon, I wouldn't be making Knights of the Clarion Call. Just not sure I want to spend my Qualis gem on a custom order yet when im not 100% sure I'm gonna manage to hold on to my kingdom.

*edit*

Of course, my relations with the Clarion Call isn't high either, I've only done a single quest for them because I've been too busy trying to keep my Kingdom intact. I did do a couple quests for the Shadow Legion before I founded my Kingdom, so my standing with them is like 10 but my standing with the Immortals is like -2.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Ah, 33 is nothing. iirc my cost per shadow legion was 2, lol. And I had thousands of prestige.

In my last playthrough where I was a one lord kingdom I think I had about 15 fortress/cities with shadow legion orders in them, so I had more shadow legion than I knew what to do with.

Maybe I'll start a new game and import my character/companions and see what kind of trouble I can get into.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Any quick way to find specific companions in the beginning? I decided to do some trading to raise my first denars to hire companions. So I was Leslie but she is nowhere to be found.

Elerion

N00b
If you have had them in your party and they left, you can ask travellers in inns where they are.
If you never had them in your party, there's no easy way to track them down. Keep travelling the world. Many players like to start out doing a mapwide trade route to make some cash while searching. Personally I like to travel from tournament to tournament and pick up any companions I find along the way with my tournament winnings.

Also, if there is one cheat I would recommend, it would be to export your character, edit your pathfinding to 10, and import your character again. It makes your party significantly faster on the map and allows you to bring infantry units without slowing to a crawl. The game is more fun when you can actually catch up to shit.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
If you have had them in your party and they left, you can ask travellers in inns where they are.
If you never had them in your party, there's no easy way to track them down. Keep travelling the world. Many players like to start out doing a mapwide trade route to make some cash while searching. Personally I like to travel from tournament to tournament and pick up any companions I find along the way with my tournament winnings.

Also, if there is one cheat I would recommend, it would be to export your character, edit your pathfinding to 10, and import your character again. It makes your party significantly faster on the map and allows you to bring infantry units without slowing to a crawl. The game is more fun when you can actually catch up to shit.
Tournaments in Pendor require 150 renown. It kinda blows but it does make trading a more viable money maker early on. Tournaments in vanilla were a really easy way to make cash compared to almost anything else.

For speed I ended up restarting my toon and choosing all the +pathfinding and +int choices I could get from the 4 character builder choices. It got my PF to 6 I think. That seems to be plenty so far. I don't want to cheat but I might end up doing so anyway. Athletics is also a pain in the ass. I think I will take my 4 points I put in looting and add those to athletics. It's still cheating since it's over the cap my STR(agi?) allows, but damn - slow travel speed kills any kind of game where traveling is required for me.