Movie's cliches and techniques

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I have loved dutch angles since Battlefield Earth. Has anyone seen it? It's no Swordfish but Travolta was a tour de force and Barry Pepper was believable. Dutch angles made that movie pop.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
youre-trying-too-hard-thumb.jpg

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
But in all honesty I love everything about Southland tales. (Not a joke) . Wallace Shawn has never been in a bad movie.
I read the comics. You were apparently expected to so the movie would make more sense. It didn't help much but they weren't bad. I think.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I read the comics. You were apparently expected to so the movie would make more sense. It didn't help much but they weren't bad. I think.
And know the entirety of donnie darko in and out and track down the fake physics book. All to get through a movie where cgi cars fuck.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I have touted this app a few times over the years, but I use one called RunPee that I checked out solely because the name sounded hilarious. It's on android for sure, no idea about iPhone. It essentially breaks down the best times for you to take a piss during a movie, but the part I use it for (I promise I'm not that old where I can't make it through a movie yet, but maybe someday soon!) is it also tells you how long the credits are and if there is anything during/after them. If you see the world premiere of a movie of course you are going to beshitpiss out of luck, but they typically see the movies at the first possible normal showing and post the info soon after.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
OPs post reminded me of the latest Tony Zhou video where he discusses the differences between Jackie Chan's Hong Kong films and his US films. Though not technically about shaky-cam per se, it deals with the cinematography of action and fighting scenes, which is where shaky-cam is usually used.

Tony's videos are fantastic to watch for those who like the art of cinematography:https://vimeo.com/tonyzhou/videos

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Sums up pretty well. And from what i can gather, this is mostly due to comic book movies

Caliane

Sums up pretty well. And from what i can gather, this is mostly due to comic book movies
"in a world.." "brawwwwwm"
Trailers have been doing this for years. usually be genre. Like, all rom-com trailers are the same. All Sci-fi are the same. etc.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That must be why I like Netflix Daredevil. They have some very clean and inspired fight scenes that you don't even see in action movies anymore.

The ep 2 hallway fight scene is something straight out of a Korean action movie.
Yea, I couldn't help but think "Oldboy?" during that scene.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Here's one: people dreaming or remembering in the third person. Not sure about you, but I don't have out-of-body experiences while remembering some past event.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
When the hallways scene in Daredevil started I saw they moved the camera where normally you'd see a cut and said to my wife, "They've been light on the fighting scenes this episode, I wonder if they have the balls to do a long-cut fighting scene?". Even knowing what they were doing, what they attempted blew me away and made me an instant fan of Daredevil.