Movies You Must Show Your Kids

Devlin

Golden Squire
Most of the really good ones have been covered already, but a few I could think of quickly (I'm going off of enjoyment and movies I think everyone should know when referenced more than "classic" status):

Conan
Rambos (mainly 2)
Better Off Dead
Breakfast Club (and any other John Hughes movies you feel like)
Watership Down
Bill & Ted

Fifth Element is actually older than I realized, so add that one.

EDIT: Just heard Blaze of Glory on the way home, so add
Young Guns

Which also makes me remember
The Outsiders
I actually found Watership Down far more unsettling as a kid than any of the horror movies I was into at the time.

Evil Dead 2.
Goonies.
Omen trilogy.
The Shining.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Today we watched both of these. Man, it does my heart some good to hear those kids squeal in delight with Ghostbusters. Remember when you were that age, and you sang along with the theme song? They are doing that like the movie just came out.

rrr_img_128504.jpg

rrr_img_128505.jpg

Xith

Bronze Knight of the Realm
FYI about Gremlins.. there's a part where the girl says there's no Santa Claus... so if your kids still believe, avoid this movie for a while.

• 1Like

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
One week later, and they want to watch more of Ghostbusters II. These are good kids.

• 1Like

Xeldar

Silver Squire
Should rename thread movies I loved as a kid. Let's be real, how many of these are you getting through before your 10-13 year old starts eye rolling at you and playing Didgeridoo's big fat dildo adventure on their phones? I can harken back to 99-2000 and being a 12-13 year old snot that my dad was trying to get me to watch movies he liked. Dad, I have Talendor to kill and lighties at my fungi to pvp.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Hmmm...horror movies too?

They Live
Leviathan (like a mix of the Thing and Aliens under water)

Pitch Black
The Blob (new or old, newer is scarier)
Vampire Hunter D
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

As far as other random movies, what about stuff like:

Zombieland (newer but still fun)
Monster Squad ("Wolfman's got nards")
Dragonheart
Tombstone
Escape from NY/LA
Stargate
Legend
Dick Tracy
Heat
True Lies
Demolition Man
The Running Man

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I go back and forth on whether to show them requiem for a dream and kids to scare them away from drugs.

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
Wargames and A Few Good Men off the top of my head. The rest have been listed already (5th Element if it hasn't)

Neph_sl

shitlord
I go back and forth on whether to show them requiem for a dream and kids to scare them away from drugs.
I read through this thread and was about to recommend this. Definitely save for the teenage years, this movie kept me from doing drugs as a teen.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Trying not to repeat any that were mentioned, so all I got is
Clerks
everything by mel brooks. (think I saw blazing saddles and young frankenstein, but he had more gooduns like history of the world and the producers for instance)
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Outlaw Josie Wales
Pick 1 or 2 John Wayne movies. They were all good but not worth watching them all IMO.
Deep Throat
Debbie does Dallas
Monty Python's search for the holy grail
Monty Python's Life of brian.
Monty Python's Meaning of Life but only if they really liked the other 2.
South Park Movie
White dog
Cujo
Airplane and as many of the sequels as they want
Naked Gun. NG1 only. No matter how much they beg to see 2.5, don't do it.

Also, they need a good diet of the B movies that Elvira and MST3k used to show. Can't think of any of the names right now.
along the same lines, Cabin Fever. It was so bad it was good.

As you can tell, I don't care about your kids. You decide when they're old enough for each movie. Damn, this list turned out longer than expected.

Szlia

If you show Mel Brooks movies to children, don't you have to spend longer than the movie explaining what the jokes are about? I mean The Producers seems like the start of a LONG conversation. Probably a good thing though.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
My daughter is 4. I've shown her The Land Before Time, The Great Mouse Detective, The Jungle Book, The Muppets Movie and a few other old ones. She absolutely loves The Jungle Book, and we have a children's book of The Great Mouse Detective, and it's her favorite thing for me to read her every night.