MTG: Arena

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
What do you mean by early matches exactly?

All I know is Arena is getting real old losing to the shuffler....

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I just want to know how fat the Teferi creator is because there’s no way anyone with anything going on created that asshole.

Even if I have outs and opponent is at 5 life or less I leave once teferi gets rolling / drawing.

shishare

Golden Knight of the Realm
Anyone else having a ton of disconnect problems? I'm talking after every match, and occasionaly mid match?

Only been happening since the switch over to open beta, and ivb'e tried all there troubleshooting tips, with no results

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have had no issues with disconnections.

Teferi is all around the best Planeswalker in the current environment. The only problem I had with him was when I made a newbie mistake and forgot that his second ability requires cards in the graveyard. I am working towards a big green deck now. Green has some serious creature power in this meta but the deck has to have a little control as well. I have been running a pretty simple red/white for my dailies, as the deck is fast and pretty powerful.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I played MTG like once back in the late 90s. Otherwise I played some Legends of Norrath for my card battle game experience. I have pretty much no idea what I'm doing and I'm having fun.

Played about 10 games last night for the first time with a black/green deck that I put together based on what looked interesting to me. Went 6-4, but the losses were just brutal stomps of the guys basically playing for me the entire time. One guy that had the Teferi card you guys are talking about literally dragged the game out until I had no lands, no creatures. Left me at 1HP for probably a solid 20 minutes while just screwing around. Didn't concede because I want to see how the cards work and such, but man if I wasn't new I would have been pissed with that kind of trololol.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Haven't run into Teferi yet personally, but just looked up the card, and yeah, WOW is that straight up broken.

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
Played about 10 games last night for the first time with a black/green deck that I put together based on what looked interesting to me. Went 6-4, but the losses were just brutal stomps of the guys basically playing for me the entire time. One guy that had the Teferi card you guys are talking about literally dragged the game out until I had no lands, no creatures. Left me at 1HP for probably a solid 20 minutes while just screwing around. Didn't concede because I want to see how the cards work and such, but man if I wasn't new I would have been pissed with that kind of trololol.

A lot of Blue/White decks just have Teferi as the only win con. They run their library down, use Teferi's -3 to tuck himself so they never run out of cards, and wait for you to deck instead. Good times are had by all!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Magic is not really built to be fair after turn 5. 5 and 6 mana cards, even in standard, are virtually game-ending threats that are designed to turn the game around for the control player as soon as they resolve it, or maybe as soon as they get to untap on the following turn. If you're playing a standard aggressive deck that tops out at 4 mana threats, the game is effectively over once one of those 5 or 6 drop game-enders hits the table.

skribble

Was the game always like that? I only played magic when i was a kid around the time ice age was new, and it seemed like the games were big, long and drawn out affairs though maybe that was because we had no idea what a good deck was and could only afford garbage cards.

I was really surprised playing this after HS expecting lower tempo games or whatever and being like 'what the fuck is this bullshit' as you say once my opponent hit some decent mana.

Im enjoying playing because everything is new, but it does seem there is still a lot of netdecking/meta even in a game as varied as magic, and still a lot of the time a certain deck v deck will just straight up win the game for you, much like HS (though maybe sideboards help with this? I havent tried yet)

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Back then everyone was bad and games did indeed take forever, but at competitive or whatever you want to call it levels of play games tended to be much, much shorter. Illusions/donate combo was around back then and could just straight kill you as early as turn 5 etc.

skribble

So early matches so far have been mirrored every time, is this by design?

As far as I can tell, and read, the quickplay feature uses some sort of deck value thing to pair you against other people with roughly the same power level of deck. So once you start playing, youll be playing against other people with the same other garbo deck you are playing, which are obviously all from the available archetypes/unlocked decks.

What im curious to know is how far it extends, like if I have a good powerlevel deck with mythics, will I always be against whalers. If so, does it make sense to build the highest level 'garbage' deck with good garbage cards just to grind newbs for the quests/wins.

Think the arena has no matchmaking tho

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The best of 1 quickplay constructed uses that bullshit "deck strength" algorithm yea. I'd honestly stay far as fuck away from it, especially if you are new/f2p.

The algorithm is fucking retarded as hell and if you're using a starter deck or something similar you'll play against 90% fully tuned mono red decks, as they only use a small handful of rares are get placed at the bottom of the algorithm totem pole or whatever you want to call it.

The entire idea is a joke and needs to be replaced immediately by some sort of MMR system.

skribble

Yeah I had a feeling this was the case. I used a nice budget explore list to counter the onslaught of merfolk that were fucking my terrible home made lifesteal, and turns out the power in it (seems) absurd and I win a really high majority of the games.

Then I add a few mythics in and get matched up against good decks/players and get trucked. Proper ladder system would be much better.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Once you get some mythics in your deck you end up playing all these wonderful people with their Teferi Superfriends deck that wants to play for an hour and deck you. Or some version of this Golgari SuperVillains with both Vraskas and Vivian Reid which grinds the game to a snails pace.

Monored with Risk Factor typically I have found so far just houses this matchup as it sucks when you are behind in tempo but its an absolute ballbuster against control who suddenly cant afford to pay life to keep ahead in card advantage

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Back then everyone was bad and games did indeed take forever, but at competitive or whatever you want to call it levels of play games tended to be much, much shorter. Illusions/donate combo was around back then and could just straight kill you as early as turn 5 etc.

That would be turn 2 sir... turn 2. Depending on what format you were playing at the time

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Teferi isn't even all that great but it's easy for less experienced people to pilot. The Jace options (and really a lot of the other planeswalkers) in standard just aren't as great.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
15/18 of my last draft matches have been Flood/screw/color fucked so far lol, shit is crazy lol

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Is there a viable trample build of some sort? I've been having some decent success running mostly green/splash of black and really like when I get trample rolling with mammoth and friends, but I have no idea if I'm building it right or how well it would do if built properly.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Is there a viable trample build of some sort? I've been having some decent success running mostly green/splash of black and really like when I get trample rolling with mammoth and friends, but I have no idea if I'm building it right or how well it would do if built properly.

There isn't really a deck centered around that theme but you can totally play with some Carnage Tyrants.