MTG: Arena

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
I've gotten the impression the lack of social features is intentional - trolling on other MTG online products has been pretty harsh and something that they've complained about the resource cost in policing before.

Yea, think I remember an interview/article about them talking about social features coming end of year/start of new year. Along with talking about how to try and address the trolling aspect. But I'd have to find the thing again.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This new set is absolute trash for sealed and draft. Maybe Im smoking crack but Dimir seems to shit on everything else outside of some nuts Aurelia Boros builds that get 100x mentor critters. Surveil is just waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fucking good in this kind of format to dig multiple cards every turn.

Havent messed with constructed yet.

What the fuck were they thinking with cards like Disinformation Campaign in this shit. Every deck in draft is Dimir and its the same deck basically every draft. Spybugs or the other 2 drop flyer that surveils when it attacks. While Golgari has this shit undergrowth trash mechanic that are pretty much all 4 to 8 costs that you will never see hit the field in time. Surveil shells have super powerful commons and uncommons left and right.

Last edited:

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Golgari has no enablers and is trash because of it. It needed mulch or satyr wayfinder or something at common for any of the undergrowth cards to matter in limited.

Dimir is definitely S tier, but is already suffering from being over drafted, though this tends to be less of an issue in arena

Boros is fine as the basic aggro shell, with a couple rare bombs that really put it over the top.

Selesnya is ass as well, but probably better than golgari because siege wurm is a common and sometimes just slamming 5 of those in a draft is good enough.

Izzet is sleeper OP as fuck in draft, but garbage in sealed. Piston-fist cyclops and the jump frog are both insanely aggressive creatures at common, and cosmotronic wave/sonic assault/gravatir punch/whatever the flashback +1/+1 and jump card are, there's damn near infinite ways of forcing damage through at common. Niv-Mizzet is probably also the biggest bomb in the set, even moreso than the planeswalkers I'd wager. I guess maybe Doom Whisperer is better just because he's so easy to cast?

4-5 color goodstuff is also very real if you want to gamble a bit. Just takes bombs and the best picks for any color for like picks 1-5 each pack, take every district guide or explosive vegetation you see, and play like 4-6 guildgates and a couple lockets. It works pretty much every time, even if you don't hit the green fixers.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have not played Magic in years, so my first game in my current draft was against a Dimir deck, I think. It had the survey mechanic. I am playing green/white and was able to pull out that victory. My first Draft I went 5 wins with a mono-green. I enjoyed the enchantments that Green gets. My Green White deck has 2 of the 2/2's that draws cards with played enchantments. I also got the rare +7+7 trample enchantment along with multiple +3+3 enchantments. I only got one white control enchantment though.My playtime went down a bit due to working but will have more time this weekend.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
I have not played Magic in years, so my first game in my current draft was against a Dimir deck, I think. It had the survey mechanic. I am playing green/white and was able to pull out that victory. My first Draft I went 5 wins with a mono-green. I enjoyed the enchantments that Green gets. My Green White deck has 2 of the 2/2's that draws cards with played enchantments. I also got the rare +7+7 trample enchantment along with multiple +3+3 enchantments. I only got one white control enchantment though.My playtime went down a bit due to working but will have more time this weekend.
Yeah I enjoy that deck. A lot of people would be killing the enchanted creature instead of the card drawing Satyr, one game it must have drawn 10+ cards.

I don't think there are any good aura enchantments though, there's some real crazy ones in modern like daybreak coronet, ethereal armor and the totem armor mechanic.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There might not be any broke enchantments but it is amazing how powerful that draw effect gets. I just went 7-0 with that deck. I played Hearthstone for 2+ years and played Arena 50+ times over the years and I never won more than 9 games. I play my 2nd Draft in Magic and go undefeated. Skill plays so much more in Magic Arena than Hearthstone Arena. Fuck that random crap in Hearthstone.

Chris

Potato del Grande
There might not be any broke enchantments but it is amazing how powerful that draw effect gets. I just went 7-0 with that deck. I played Hearthstone for 2+ years and played Arena 50+ times over the years and I never won more than 9 games. I play my 2nd Draft in Magic and go undefeated. Skill plays so much more in Magic Arena than Hearthstone Arena. Fuck that random crap in Hearthstone.
I'll have to try draft, in sealed I got utter shit and lost.

• 1Like

shishare

Golden Knight of the Realm

Same here, Highest i ever went in arena in hearthstone was 8 wins, went 7-1 with my sealed pool, and only 1 of those games was really determined by what i would call RNG.
I love magic without the massive investment usually required for paper play, and i can easily see myself buying a few extra packs every once in a while to keep up, rather then multiple boxes per set like the regular requires.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Same here, Highest i ever went in arena in hearthstone was 8 wins, went 7-1 with my sealed pool, and only 1 of those games was really determined by what i would call RNG.
I love magic without the massive investment usually required for paper play, and i can easily see myself buying a few extra packs every once in a while to keep up, rather then multiple boxes per set like the regular requires.

This really encourages me. I loved MtG until the investment was just too much and ridiculous. A lower commitment variation sounds perfect to me.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well I got my ass kicked on my 4th Draft. Went White/Green. I had better control but it lacked the bang due to the game/people also drafting white. My first match I went against a beautiful white blue deck that had a fantastic draw with great synergy. Then I went against another white/green deck. Came out pretty strong but drew to much mana. The game got over fast when he played Ajani. I want to try and make red work because that color just does not get drafted all that much. White is hands down the most popular color.

Is there a way to see "Vault" progress? I know it builds based on extra cards beyond 4 but cannot seem to locate a progress meter.

Nevermind. They removed the vault Icon for the moment.Took me a bit to find the information. I assume they will bring the icon back eventually.

Last edited:

shishare

Golden Knight of the Realm
This really encourages me. I loved MtG until the investment was just too much and ridiculous. A lower commitment variation sounds perfect to me.

Yeah. I'm kinda anti social to boot, and the not having to be in a big room with people, a lot of whom fit the "Unwashed gamer" stereotype is a bonus. Especially now that im older and can't always make the time for events. I can log in, do a few games, make a bit of progress towards a deck im working on, and generally enjoy it. Sure you get stomped a few games by people who have paid a bit, but it's not insurmountable to make a decent win rate deck without shelling out 4-500 dollars. You can do it in a couple weeks of casual play just doing daily's and your 15 wins a week for packs.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Yeah. I'm kinda anti social to boot, and the not having to be in a big room with people, a lot of whom fit the "Unwashed gamer" stereotype is a bonus. Especially now that im older and can't always make the time for events. I can log in, do a few games, make a bit of progress towards a deck im working on, and generally enjoy it. Sure you get stomped a few games by people who have paid a bit, but it's not insurmountable to make a decent win rate deck without shelling out 4-500 dollars. You can do it in a couple weeks of casual play just doing daily's and your 15 wins a week for packs.

It's hard to start from scratch again but put together a few wins to get this party started.

ronne ronne thx for the in depth post about draft and sealed. Just getting back and it's at least good to know what is winning the most right now.

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
Haven't played magic in years, last attempt was probably 10 years ago on that abomination MTGO. This game is really well done, and like others have stated the minimal RNG vs hearthstone is a breath of fresh air.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The draftbots are idiots, but that means it's a pretty realistic analog to FLGS drafts for most folks :D

I've been having a lot of fun playing, if I'm still doing it every day in a month or two I'll probably buy some crystals to fill in the sets that aren't currently draft/weekly rewards.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
God I wish the m19 draft would rotate out, set was ass to draft.

Lesson I've learned is never keep a 2 land hand because I always get fucked on land no matter what.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I've really enjoyed my short time playing. Was given a Gruul based Dino deck on my second day and after a few upgrades, it works ok. It's a lot more fun than the basic single colored decks they provided Day 1. Now, on to Day 3 but I have a lot less time during the week. Will probably do a few drafts after I buy the intro deal.

It feels really good to see the variety, instants, and reduced RnG. Mana screw and flood still suck but that's just part of the game.

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
Got my 2nd 7win draft... I'm getting nostalgia and also wondering how Hearthstone fucked this up so badly.
7-1_mtga_draft.png

This guy was MVP:
nicol_bolas.png

Got him in my last pack, so I was already going RB.. splashed U for some card draw and got him every game practically. Tons of graveyard recursion via Gravedigger and that 2 mana 1B that gives you +2/+0 and brings you back if you die... meant lots of discarding with Nicol once he hit, plus a 6/4 body meant he traded with literally every bomb. A few games he got hit with the Luminous Bindings, but 7 mana later he's a terrorizing Planeswalker that doesn't GAF.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
God I wish the m19 draft would rotate out, set was ass to draft.

Lesson I've learned is never keep a 2 land hand because I always get fucked on land no matter what.
This game has the biggest pile of shit randomization I have ever seen. I drew 9/16 lands in the first 12 cards in my last draft and just got run over. At this point I'm just starting to believe its purposely coded to fuck people so they end up having to buy more gems to do anything in the game. I regret the little bit of money I have already spent :(

• 1Salty

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So you can never draft with your packs right? So you might as well just open them? Just starting this now, had avoided it completely.