MTG: Arena

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Interest in this thread has really died it seems like. I barely turn it on and play a handful of games anymore about once a week. It seems blah.
I get on to complete a daily and try and get the first 4 wins of the day (since they are 100g each). After that I log off, game needs more formats and those draft pods.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
Everyone on aggro this MCQ. 3-1 so far on Temur Rec. Smashed 2 cat decks and split with 2 mono red decks. Breakfast then more Uro and explosions.

Sterling

El Presidente
Haven't been able to enter control mode today. Checked to make sure it wasn't remapped and it's not. What the actual fuck, losing games because commands don't work.

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
So made a quick monoblue brawl deck around Thasa. It's nothing special but i went 3-0. Never won on damage: they scoop with the first counter that hits.

I named it "Blue Brawlls"

It inspired me to make this(I almost never play blue-counter; I can't fucking stand counter spells):

Sterling

El Presidente
I have never understood how people get so worked up about having their stuff countered, but are totally fine when 3 of their vanilla trashcan creatures get wrathed.

• 1Worf

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
I have never understood how people get so worked up about having their stuff countered, but are totally fine when 3 of their vanilla trashcan creatures get wrathed.

I think it’s when you get to a point where when you’ve been countered enough in a game/day

also I think countering is basically denying you participating in the game. Your stuff never even has a chance to touch the board

At least against targeted/mass removal, you get to play your stuff

I may have mentioned it before but it’s almost like, and this is an extreme generalization:

Black: I use discard, removal and risk for power to play

Red: I use burn and cheap creatures to play

Green: I use ramp and big creatures to play

White: I use cheap creatures and enchantments to play

Blue: I prevent my opponents from playing

• 1Like

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Jesus Christ, Wizards: Enough with the fucking mirror matches in random play already.

• 1Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I just uninstalled this dogshit once and for all. Tried playing again for the first time in a bit, constant matchups with mono red, counter decks, slow playing retards even playing aggro, and on and on. Also tired of the retard shuffler, and the meta isn't what it was last year.

Fuck this shit, not worth getting perpetually annoyed at every time I play. It's silly, but this game pisses me off like nothing else when I play it. There's just something about it I find uniquely aggravating.

• 1Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
The slow play is a major boner killer.

Yeah...I’m a grown ass man, I have a great job, social life, I’m a normal dude, I’m not a sperg, nor do I have anger issues. But for *whatever reason*, I can’t explain it, playing Arena sometimes tilts the fuck out of me when when perpetually faced with slow players, jackassed flash / counter decks, etc. It’s like being 12 years old again and slamming the fuck out of my NES controllers. Literally no other game in probably 20 years has pissed me off to the extent this game can. So that’s why I uninstalled it, for my own dignity. Ha.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Yeah...I’m a grown ass man, I have a great job, social life, I’m a normal dude, I’m not a sperg, nor do I have anger issues. But for *whatever reason*, I can’t explain it, playing Arena sometimes tilts the fuck out of me when when perpetually faced with slow players, jackassed flash / counter decks, etc. It’s like being 12 years old again and slamming the fuck out of my NES controllers. Literally no other game in probably 20 years has pissed me off to the extent this game can. So that’s why I uninstalled it, for my own dignity. Ha.

this may be a repost, but fuck it; it’s my meme:

CD94257F-D028-45A7-A6AB-0F7462280445.png

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Pretty sure people play slow on purpose.

Playing slow makes 5-10% of people drop games for free wins, so there is that.

• 2Like
  • 1Rustled
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Sterling

El Presidente
I would expect that to be extremely rare in ranked and there's still a decent amount of slow play. Especially in unranked and low ranked you'll get people that aren't good with the UI and have to tank a lot because they're not very good at the game. being an online game that doesn't require high APM or whatever you'll also just get distracted people because either they're eating, talking to someone, or watching a movie or something while they're playing.

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
So if there is a silver lining to all of this quarantine and Arena giving free stuff out:

I'm really starting to appreciate the Brawl format more and more. Seems like you get matched up to a more wider variety of deck types. Lots of originality in deck making although I have run into several try-hards that made Field of the Dead net decks. Unfortunately, if you do play against blue, it's only a matter of time before Agent of Treachery hits the board.

On the other hand, I've played several blue decks where that didnt happen, so luck does factor, but it doesnt feel as bad as casual standard play for some reason. Prob because, again, you don't constantly get mirror matched/matched with your deck's weakness.

• 1Dislike

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand just like an abusive partner, Arena is giving me the backhand again.

If anyone plays the new challenger deck event, do NOT pick Allied Fires: I got ass raped 10 times in a row. Every deck is faster than Fires, you will NEVER have a chance to catch up.

Every opponent I've played also seems to draw/top deck perfect hands to boot. Played against the golgari adventure deck and the s.o.b. got edgewall innkeeper, lovestruck beast, murderous rider and THREE MOTHERFUCKING Lucky Clovers!! Like wtf Wizards?! I won't even go into what the mono-red deck is capable of doing by turn 4.

Oh and you'll never beat the simic deck: much faster than Fires, plus you get the benefit of seeing this
Fatal Furry.png
once you have the mana to do anything. That or the frilled mystic counter.

And it wouldnt be so bad if it weren't for the fact that Fires, despite being part blue, has NO MOTHERFUCKING COUNTERSPELLS OF ITS OWN!

In a game of rock, paper, scissors, Fires is Swiss cheese bullshit.

end of rant.

yeah don't pick Fires

Also, just to add insult to insult, most counterspells have artwork thats just annoying, like Quench and its ass-licking smirk.

Sterling

El Presidente
I played the Fires deck and got my 2 wins in 2 games that weren't even close. Mono Red and the G/B adventure deck both didn't handle sweepers + walkers very well. Counters also don't play well with the actual Fires of Invention card, so you'd only get to use them before casting it. having 5 sweepers and being able to wish for more, Sarkhan triggers and spot removal it's probably the best deck to play against those 2 decks. I didn't play against it, but I'd guess it's pretty soft to the flash deck. Which as it turns out is sort of how these archetypes pan out in standard with the fully fleshed out forms of these decks.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Vast majority of brawl decks I have faced have been Heliod, Torbran, Uro, Ayara/Syr Konrad, Kaalia and Niv-Mizzet. (In that order)

Standard brawl is terrible.

• 1Like

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
I played the Fires deck and got my 2 wins in 2 games that weren't even close. Mono Red and the G/B adventure deck both didn't handle sweepers + walkers very well. Counters also don't play well with the actual Fires of Invention card, so you'd only get to use them before casting it. having 5 sweepers and being able to wish for more, Sarkhan triggers and spot removal it's probably the best deck to play against those 2 decks. I didn't play against it, but I'd guess it's pretty soft to the flash deck. Which as it turns out is sort of how these archetypes pan out in standard with the fully fleshed out forms of these decks.

yeah I switched to the flash deck and got two wins in a row, curb stomping fires