MTG: Arena

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Well, I’m not gonna go so far as to uninstall the game, but I’m definitely going to take a break through the next set cycle.

I’m just getting sick of matchmaking system and shuffler. Especially how it seems to go on long streaks of being good and being a shit show.
I watched a streamer make a new deck the other day: literally his first FIVE opponents ran the same deck.

Hate to admit, it’s prob raised my blood pressure a little too high on several occasions. I need a break.

WoW has been more fun lately and the new RE3 remake is there to fill in the gaps

hope Wizards gets their shit together but I somehow doubt it

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've been playing around with my decks size recently making a lot of 72 card decks and from what I've seen this game is totally rigged! And I mean more rigged then even I had thought. As I said 72 card decks are what I've been making but these deck only have 26 land so there land ratio is lower then a standard 60/24 deck. But game seems to always want me to have three land in my initial draw and it happen 80% of time with 72/26 deck versus about 30% with 60/24 deck. That leads me to believe that arena has separate draw categories for land and nonland cards. It seem like 26 land triggers you to have 3 land opening hand regardless of your decks size.

The other thing is effect of having 72 cards has on opponents draws, in that they never draw perfect opening hands. Unlike if you're playing 60 card deck where they will have one seemly 50% of time. That even when opponent is playing 60 cards you simply playing 72 a card deck seems to alter opponents luck immensely.

So far I've only really tested 72/26 deck so other deck size may produce different results. But if you want a slower game try 72/26 decks, it wont work all of time but it will work most of time.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The other thing is effect of having 72 cards has on opponents draws, in that they never draw perfect opening hands. Unlike if you're playing 60 card deck where they will have one seemly 50% of time. That even when opponent is playing 60 cards you simply playing 72 a card deck seems to alter opponents luck immensely.
While I actually think your first paragraph has some merit because of how the opening shuffler is rigged, this second paragraph is just fucking unpossible and is clearly a product of bias.

I'm going to add you to the list with Tmac of people I've mathematically verified are stupid based on their posts about MTG Arena.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
While I actually think your first paragraph has some merit because of how the opening shuffler is rigged, this second paragraph is just fucking unpossible and is clearly a product of bias.

I'm going to add you to the list with Tmac of people I've mathematically verified are stupid based on their posts about MTG Arena.

The 2nd paragraph is hilarious but I am now intrigued by the first. The shuffler is utter shit but if I can find a loophole...I won't complain nearly as much, lol. The 13 land decks still work too.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Historic pauper was fun, brew city.

Historic in general is the format pioneer wants to be, was for 5 minutes but no longer is, if it's gonna be combo deck dominated i'll just play modern instead.

Siddar

Have you tested to seen that i'm wrong?

Have you ever played against someone with an over sized deck and been blown away by how seemly lucky they were and unlucky you were during the match? Admittedly I going off a small sample size of 30 games are so but the luck factor is there. Now what could cause that luck factor to appear is the question? I would suggest it shows arena is almost a completely rigged shit show.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Have you tested to seen that i'm wrong?

Have you ever played against someone with an over sized deck and been blown away by how seemly lucky they were and unlucky you were during the match? Admittedly I going off a small sample size of 30 games are so but the luck factor is there. Now what could cause that luck factor to appear is the question? I would suggest it shows arena is almost a completely rigged shit show.

I do have some questions. What made you choose 72 and have you done any 66, 68, 70, etc card decks? Many times I've filled my deck with all the cards I wanted, looked up and it was 72. Is that how it happened? Do you have a list? Honestly, with a new expansion I'm actually going to waste money on (damn you for the Godzilla theme), I will probably explore this a lot more than I would have thought even 15 minutes ago.

Siddar

I do have some questions. What made you choose 72 and have you done any 66, 68, 70, etc card decks? Many times I've filled my deck with all the cards I wanted, looked up and it was 72. Is that how it happened? Do you have a list? Honestly, with a new expansion I'm actually going to waste money on (damn you for the Godzilla theme), I will probably explore this a lot more than I would have thought even 15 minutes ago.

I had the initial idea about lands and then noticed a 72/26 deck being played by youtuber. So I took 72/26 deck idea to test out my land theory. I haven't made any other deck sizes beside 60 yet. Because I want to see if my observations keeps holding up overtime with 72/26.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Well you're asserting something that would need thousands of games to be remotely analyzed. I'm guessing you've not in fact played thousands of games with 60/24 and 72/26 decks and meticulously tracked results.

• 2Like

Siddar

Well you're asserting something that would need thousands of games to be remotely analyzed. I'm guessing you've not in fact played thousands of games with 60/24 and 72/26 decks and meticulously tracked results.

Yea I ain't going to do that.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Siddar may be wrong but the shuffler being fucked up is pretty well known to be a fact. They didn't suddenly add the London mulligan after over 25 years of paper results because it wasn't a recorded problem. One where people did record a lot of games and found significant issues. They didn't even fix the original problem. They just added the easiest fix they could find. I hope we aren't suddenly saying WotC meticulously fixes problems are we?

• 1Like

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I will still to my dying day never understand why this whole gimmick people use with for example, Cauldron Familiar and Witch's Oven works whatsoever.

If you declare your Cauldron Familiar or any creature as the blocker, then decide to sacrifice it with Witch's Oven, ok that goes on the stack.

Want to cast another instant spell? That's fine. It goes on the stack. Anything else? Ok, just put it on the stack. Then the stack goes down one by one and resolves said casts. When all other casts have resolved, and it's down to the declared blocker (the original first thing in the stack), the blocker is no longer there - it's been sacrificed, so how in the fuck does this somehow NEUTRALIZE my attacking creature to doing absolutely no damage?

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
I think it’s a balance issue

from a “story” perspective, you can look at it as your creature was distracted by the opponents blocking creature

also, not like the blocking creature still gets to deal
It’s damage to yours

Pooch

Lord Nagafen Raider
Could be worse and be like it used to way back when where you could deal damage and still trigger the sac effect, mogg fanatic comes to mind from my playing days where it could chump block and still use his sac ping before hitting the graveyard.

• 2Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Or Aetherling that could never die as long as you had mana. I remember getting really good with the old stack rules just in time for them to change it.

Sterling

El Presidente
Just be glad damage doesn't go on the stack anymore either otherwise your X/1 that got blocked by the cat before it got sacced would still die in combat after the cat got cooked!

• 1Like