MTG: Arena

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So it goes live 2 days before the paper prerelease? That's neat, I guess.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah doesn't make much sense business wise, but since I play Arena way more than RL magic, I'm okay with it.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah, I suppose it does if they're truly moving to Arena being their main focus. Just feels weird for the paper game to be their side project now.
It doesnt to me as i played the paper game in the mid 90s lol. Still have a small box of cards with my old red blue mirage phasing deck and some volcanic islands revised dual lands.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I suppose it does if they're truly moving to Arena being their main focus. Just feels weird for the paper game to be their side project now.

It has to be, no normal adult has the time/patience/effort to play fucking paper magic, even though it's fun. I couldn't imagine keeping track of all the bullshit that standard decks end up doing nowadays, let alone watching some nerdking across from me smirk as he plays some annoying fucking tef control

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i'm going to be playing my first paper magic tournament in 20 years this weekend. hopefully i won't get splattered with too much mouthbreathing nerd essence.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Play slow and read all the cards.

I'll be playing Standard, and have been going hard in Arena, so I know a majority of the cards already. But yeah, for sure play slow anyway, you're correct. They're going to know more than me even with my Arena experience.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I've been doing friday night magic like once a month on average and very rarely do I see anyone playing wallet warrior with their standard deck. Most people just draft and I bring around 30ish pauper esque decks from standard I built that people will play with me for fun. Though I do live in an area with a lot of fit, attractive people so my demographics are probably skewed.

Just did two back to back five win runs in pauper. I will never play Fireminds so that is enough for me.

4 Healers Hawk
2 Moment of Triumph
2 Bishops Soldier
2 Cavalry Drillmaster
2 Take Heart
4 Daybreak Chaplain
4 Knights Pledge
4 Silverbeak Griffin
2 Dub
4 Luminous Bonds
2 Parhelion Patrol
4 Loxodon Restorer
24 Plains

Crushed all the rat decks and just out life gained any similar aggro decks and since there is very little removal getting big 5-10 power flyers was easy.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It has to be, no normal adult has the time/patience/effort to play fucking paper magic, even though it's fun. I couldn't imagine keeping track of all the bullshit that standard decks end up doing nowadays, let alone watching some nerdking across from me smirk as he plays some annoying fucking tef control
I think WOTC has a two-prong strategy here.

They know well-built digital games can get popular very quickly, but they also die just as fast once people move onto the next thing. They are going to use Arena to make a bunch of money for two years or so, but also to re-bolster interest in paper magic which has a much longer tail.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I think WOTC has a two-prong strategy here.

They know well-built digital games can get popular very quickly, but they also die just as fast once people move onto the next thing. They are going to use Arena to make a bunch of money for two years or so, but also to re-bolster interest in paper magic which has a much longer tail.

but with the proven longevity of mtg in general, there's no reason arena can't live much longer then the hyper dumbed down digital card games out there

If they continue to build it out I don't see a reason why it doesn't overtake paper magic in both player numbers and revenue. but who knows

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
but with the proven longevity of mtg in general, there's no reason arena can't live much longer then the hyper dumbed down digital card games out there

If they continue to build it out I don't see a reason why it doesn't overtake paper magic in both player numbers and revenue. but who knows
And you can save the trees with MTGarena, lol.

• 1Dislike

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I would be interested to see stats on win rates for players on the play vs draw in best of one, since that seems to be what Arena's focus continues to be. I know it is anecdotal, but I win a lot more when I go first in both constructed and draft. It could be different if I played Jeskai or other control variants more often, I usually play Golgari or Multitudes lately.

Best of 3 the coin toss can still matter in some matchups, but is mitigated well by sideboarding. I wonder if something like the coin in Hearthstone would balance Arena format somewhat, or be too powerful. I was thinking about player going second starts with a treasure after trying the weekend event, but that is probably too much (artifacts matter, and too much color fixing).

I think 2nd player starting with a land that taps for 1 colorless and exiles itself might be great if they use it in the best of 1 formats.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
lol imma have to take the time to start reporting people for roping, wish they made it easier so they could nail the folks who do it often

usually I play some fun half jank sometimes serious mid range decks until I run into enough control decks where I get frustrated and switch to a dimir disinformation campaign control deck cause I want people to feel my frustration, problem is it works too good and half the games people just start roping, salty bastards

my only play so far is to throw in twich and rope em back

edit: it's especially idiotic when they start doing it in a game they can win

Last edited:
  • 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Last night I was playing someone who bluffed me with a "Good Game" emote when it looked like he was about to lose. So I send my attackers and he drops a Settle the Wreckage and proceeds to win. Bastard. I should have known better than to trust his bluff, usually I'm mindful of a potential StW...

• 1Worf

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Last night I was playing someone who bluffed me with a "Good Game" emote when it looked like he was about to lose. So I send my attackers and he drops a Settle the Wreckage and proceeds to win. Bastard. I should have known better than to trust his bluff, usually I'm mindful of a potential StW...

lol ya you always gotta play like they got shit

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Just pulled off this fucking miracle with a mono white pauper deck
itemized.png

didn't lose a single game

armstrong punch.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Most ridiculous ending with White Weenie deck in ranked yet, lol.

Capture.PNG

• 2Like