MTG: Arena

Caliane

I imagine Sultai midrange is now the top dog. Basically just the same golgari midrange with wildgrowth walkers as before. But splashing blue with hydroid krasis added to the mix, because that card is just absurd. side board with some blue counterspells as well. disdainful stroke, etc targeting things like nexus.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
4 Basilica Bell-Haunt (RNA) 156
4 Deputy of Detention (RNA) 165
4 Discovery // Dispersal (GRN) 223
2 Dovin, Grand Arbiter (RNA) 167
4 Drowned Catacomb (XLN) 253
4 Glacial Fortress (XLN) 255
4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
3 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
4 Hero of Precinct One (RNA) 11
2 Hostage Taker (XLN) 223
4 Isolated Chapel (DAR) 241
2 Lyra Dawnbringer (DAR) 26
4 Mortify (RNA) 192
3 Seraph of the Scales (RNA) 205
1 Swamp (XLN) 268
3 Thief of Sanity (GRN) 205
4 Thought Erasure (GRN) 206
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259

2 Consecrate // Consume (RNA) 224
1 Disdainful Stroke (GRN) 37
3 Duress (XLN) 105
2 Karn, Scion of Urza (DAR) 1
1 Moment of Craving (RIX) 79
3 Negate (RIX) 44
1 The Eldest Reborn (DAR) 90
2 Vraska's Contempt (XLN) 129

Yeah seeing Esper Mid-range do so well is exciting :). I was already working on my own Esper deck before I saw that one. Mid-range is so much more enjoyable to play than Control or Aggro for me, glad to see that a build I was already reaching towards can be competitive.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Patrick Sullivan is just the actual best thing in Magic right now

Ceddy and P.Sullivan team has been the best thing in Magic for about 6 years now. They should have both been hired as the first team for WOTC ages ago.

I say this as someone who had never installed Arena and last played a game of paper or MTGO during Scars of Mirrodin. I watch because I love the game and they are the best commentators and it isn't even close.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
4 Basilica Bell-Haunt (RNA) 156
4 Deputy of Detention (RNA) 165
4 Discovery // Dispersal (GRN) 223
2 Dovin, Grand Arbiter (RNA) 167
4 Drowned Catacomb (XLN) 253
4 Glacial Fortress (XLN) 255
4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
3 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
4 Hero of Precinct One (RNA) 11
2 Hostage Taker (XLN) 223
4 Isolated Chapel (DAR) 241
2 Lyra Dawnbringer (DAR) 26
4 Mortify (RNA) 192
3 Seraph of the Scales (RNA) 205
1 Swamp (XLN) 268
3 Thief of Sanity (GRN) 205
4 Thought Erasure (GRN) 206
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259

2 Consecrate // Consume (RNA) 224
1 Disdainful Stroke (GRN) 37
3 Duress (XLN) 105
2 Karn, Scion of Urza (DAR) 1
1 Moment of Craving (RIX) 79
3 Negate (RIX) 44
1 The Eldest Reborn (DAR) 90
2 Vraska's Contempt (XLN) 129

good stuff, I changed the sideboard to:

4 Negate (RIX) 44
2 The Eldest Reborn (DAR) 90
3 Cry of the Carnarium (RNA) 70
4 Ixalan's Binding (XLN) 17
2 Unmoored Ego (GRN) 212

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Lolz @ explosionz. Pretty annoying deck when I'm just trying to get my creature attack daily.

Capture3.PNG

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So many deck ideas, so few cards. Don't feel like dropping $100 into digital. Maybe I'm getting too stingy in my old age.

Caliane

• Deleting a deck should no longer cause your decks to rearrange.
  • Rapidly opening/closing the Deck selection page should no longer cause your decks to rearrange.

• Ranked
    • Added Traditional Ranked (constructed, best-of-three) to the available queues for Preseason 2.
      • Preseason 2 begins on January 31st, 2019 at 12:05 PM PT (20:05 UTC).
      • Traditional Ranked will be located under the "Find Match" section of the Play Blade once Preseason 2 begins.

• 1Like

Delly

Trakanon Raider
So apparently this WitchKing guy is notorious of looping until his opponents concede. Seems to have happened to a pro while streaming and the looper received a 2 hour ban.

mtga.png

Twitch chat logs of ChrisClay after the game.

4:02:02 match start

5:49:50 opponent "concedes"

5:50:46 WOTC_ChrisClay:Interesting not 100% sure if it was the ban or they actually conceded

5:51:16 WOTC_ChrisClay:No we banned him

5:51:36 WOTC_ChrisClay:Sorry, not sorry?

DanMakesItRain:mad:WOTC_ChrisClay So do you guys ban everyone that does this or is this a special case?​
DanMakesItRain:mad:WOTC_ChrisClay I mean you guys have to have the ability for DA to see players that are doing this​
5:52:35 WOTC_ChrisClay:mad:DanMakesItRain - This is a great kick start to official policy around it, but it's pretty clear this was against TOS.

b1g0ne:mad:WOTC_ChrisClay Good man. Work on the card next.​
skeletor_418:mad:WOTC_ChrisClay Do not ban a non oppressive card and cost people money over working for a fix.​
5:54:27 WOTC_ChrisClay:mad:b1g0ne - Obviously actually banning a card is a much longer process with lots of steps along the way. @skeletor_418 - It's not card strength that would cause the ban, its the anti-fun anti-play nature of the card.

legit_advice:mad:wotc_chrisclay is it a permanent ban or 1 week? permanent would be brutal :disappointed_relieved:​
5:55:00 WOTC_ChrisClay:mad:legit_advice - Short term

5:55:32 WOTC_ChrisClay:Just 2 hours to be clear

5:56:58 WOTC_ChrisClay:Even if a card is banned you can always use it in Direct Challenge.

skeletor_418:mad:WOTC_ChrisClay I dont see how this card properly functioning is comparable to other banned cards. And some people do like combos, but hate turn 4 aggro wins. Claiming "not-fun" seems biased​
5:58:02 WOTC_ChrisClay:mad:skeletor_418 - That's why it isn't something that happens quickly. We talk through all the cases.

Haberdashed:mad:WOTC_ChrisClay Can you make it easier to report people for constantly roping in Arena? It sucks having to LEAVE THE CLIENT for it​
6:00:25 WOTC_ChrisClay:mad:Haberdashed - I hear ya.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So many deck ideas, so few cards. Don't feel like dropping $100 into digital. Maybe I'm getting too stingy in my old age.

Its about what I get for my time. If you consider strick digital verse paper value, than clearly there is no contest to value. Paper will always win out. The thing for me though is that in my daily schedule, I have a difficult time playing around paper event times. It just is not worth the effort to spend on boxes of cards for a once or twice a month event. Digital allows me to play on my terms and times. It is cheaper to build a set but it comes with the knowledge that the set has no return value(Selling an account might actually have value but that has not been quantified yet). So a person spends $100.00 to build 2-3 competitive decks. This person is out that money. If the game shut down the next day, that would suck. I do not think this game is shutting down anytime soon. So this person spent the same amount of money as the cost of going to the theater 4 times(Popcorn/Drink). People spend that much per month easily for having a cell phone. I equate the investment to how much time I plan to use the product for. I play this game a lot and so I feel I easily got my money's worth.

If you play the paper version every week/day then I could see not wanting to spend more for the digital version. It is the problem that Wizard's of the coast has to solve. How to get players who paid for a paper collection to spend money on a digital version.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
So apparently this WitchKing guy is notorious of looping until his opponents concede. Seems to have happened to a pro while streaming and the looper received a 2 hour ban.

View attachment 191915

Twitch chat logs of ChrisClay after the game.

4:02:02 match start

5:49:50 opponent "concedes"

5:50:46 WOTC_ChrisClay:Interesting not 100% sure if it was the ban or they actually conceded

5:51:16 WOTC_ChrisClay:No we banned him

5:51:36 WOTC_ChrisClay:Sorry, not sorry?

DanMakesItRain:mad:WOTC_ChrisClay So do you guys ban everyone that does this or is this a special case?​
DanMakesItRain:mad:WOTC_ChrisClay I mean you guys have to have the ability for DA to see players that are doing this​
5:52:35 WOTC_ChrisClay:mad:DanMakesItRain - This is a great kick start to official policy around it, but it's pretty clear this was against TOS.

b1g0ne:mad:WOTC_ChrisClay Good man. Work on the card next.​
skeletor_418:mad:WOTC_ChrisClay Do not ban a non oppressive card and cost people money over working for a fix.​
5:54:27 WOTC_ChrisClay:mad:b1g0ne - Obviously actually banning a card is a much longer process with lots of steps along the way. @skeletor_418 - It's not card strength that would cause the ban, its the anti-fun anti-play nature of the card.

legit_advice:mad:wotc_chrisclay is it a permanent ban or 1 week? permanent would be brutal :disappointed_relieved:​
5:55:00 WOTC_ChrisClay:mad:legit_advice - Short term

5:55:32 WOTC_ChrisClay:Just 2 hours to be clear

5:56:58 WOTC_ChrisClay:Even if a card is banned you can always use it in Direct Challenge.

skeletor_418:mad:WOTC_ChrisClay I dont see how this card properly functioning is comparable to other banned cards. And some people do like combos, but hate turn 4 aggro wins. Claiming "not-fun" seems biased​
5:58:02 WOTC_ChrisClay:mad:skeletor_418 - That's why it isn't something that happens quickly. We talk through all the cases.

Haberdashed:mad:WOTC_ChrisClay Can you make it easier to report people for constantly roping in Arena? It sucks having to LEAVE THE CLIENT for it​
6:00:25 WOTC_ChrisClay:mad:Haberdashed - I hear ya.

Looping turns infinitely has always been bannable. You can't do it in paper magic either - creating an infinite loop that never changes but also never wins the game or advances your board results in you either having to take a different action or concede the game.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Been screwing around with this deck lately, and with a decent draw, it gets pretty explosive or can swing shit quick. Biggest problem is card draw, and what might be my best option besides Beast Whisperer or the green enchantment for creatures over 4 power.

2 Skarrgan Hellkite (RNA) 114
6 Mountain (RIX) 195
4 Llanowar Elves (DAR) 168
7 Forest (RIX) 196
2 Incubation Druid (RNA) 131
3 Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma (M19) 186
3 Ghalta, Primal Hunger (RIX) 130
4 Inferno Hellion (M19) 148
4 Sarkhan's Unsealing (M19) 155
2 Etali, Primal Storm (RIX) 100
2 Banefire (M19) 130
2 Zhur-Taa Goblin (RNA) 215
3 Gruul Spellbreaker (RNA) 179
4 Rhythm of the Wild (RNA) 201
1 The Immortal Sun (RIX) 180
4 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
4 Rootbound Crag (XLN) 256
1 Arch of Orazca (RIX) 185
2 Timber Gorge (M19) 258

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Been screwing around with this deck lately, and with a decent draw, it gets pretty explosive or can swing shit quick. Biggest problem is card draw, and what might be my best option besides Beast Whisperer or the green enchantment for creatures over 4 power.

2 Skarrgan Hellkite (RNA) 114
6 Mountain (RIX) 195
4 Llanowar Elves (DAR) 168
7 Forest (RIX) 196
2 Incubation Druid (RNA) 131
3 Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma (M19) 186
3 Ghalta, Primal Hunger (RIX) 130
4 Inferno Hellion (M19) 148
4 Sarkhan's Unsealing (M19) 155
2 Etali, Primal Storm (RIX) 100
2 Banefire (M19) 130
2 Zhur-Taa Goblin (RNA) 215
3 Gruul Spellbreaker (RNA) 179
4 Rhythm of the Wild (RNA) 201
1 The Immortal Sun (RIX) 180
4 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
4 Rootbound Crag (XLN) 256
1 Arch of Orazca (RIX) 185
2 Timber Gorge (M19) 258
Splash blue play Krasis!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Splash blue play Krasis!

That is going to be the Mantra for this cycle.

My Mono Red deck needs a little more draw.

"Splash Blue and play Krasis".

My Golgari Deck seems to fall flat towards the end.

"Splash Blue and play Krasis."

My Simic Deck is not doing as well as I thought it should.

"Why are you just running 2 Krasis"? Splash....wait...Add 2 more Krasis".

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Simic deck with 4 Krasis and I'm 1-9. Fun times.
Blue Green has no way to deal with permanents and no OP walkers. That's why no one plays straight blue green. All the midrange decks are Green/X/Splash blue for Krasis.

Caliane

well, theres fight mechanics, etc. But, yeah, fight generally is not as good direct removal. especially if you arent dipping black for deathtouch.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Blue Green has no way to deal with permanents and no OP walkers. That's why no one plays straight blue green. All the midrange decks are Green/X/Splash blue for Krasis.

That's what I ended up doing. I added it to my Izzet deck and it's doing just fine. Only 3 Krasis though, not 4. 4 seemed like too many as a splash.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Venting: so fucking sick of getting garbage rares over and over again in packs. Like, unusable rares, multiples times.

Venting #2: Are half the players out there fucking potatoes, or is the game still unstable as hell? 15-20 seconds between every single damn action? Really?