MTG: Arena

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
December 2018 MTGA Matchmaking Update | MTG Arena Pro

if you are talking about "PLAY" then that is exactly what is happening. white weenies is #1 in "play", so you are being favored to be matched against decks competitive with it.
may want to look at the above link, to see what others are playing for their white weennies. you might have upgraded "wrong", expecting to counter a different meta. meaning, did you upgrade to counter fog/control, when monored/gruul counters is what was needed?

What beats mono red and white weenie? I have no idea. Golgari? life gain, removal and ramp? Selesnya, knights of autumn.?

Thanks for the response. I’ll check the link. Any good resources for what White Weenie set I should be playing?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Grinded out 99% of a full 4-of playset of the new set via Sealed, with way less than 100 dollars worth of gems.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks for the response. I’ll check the link. Any good resources for what White Weenie set I should be playing?

here's my white weenie deck, slightly altered from the one Chimney shared with me a few pages back:

//Creatures (21):
3 Benalish Marshal
4 Skymarcher Aspirant
3 Snubhorn Sentry
4 Adanto Vanguard
4 Healer's Hawk
3 Venerated Loxodon

//Non-creature Spells (17):
4 History of Benalia
2 Settle the Wreckage
1 Cleansing Nova
2 Make a Stand
4 Conclave Tribunal
2 Gird for Battle
2 Unbreakable Formation

//Lands (22):
22 Plains

ideally you want 4x Benalish Marshalls and Venerated Loxodons instead of my 3x, and 4x Legion's Landing. i'm just spreading my wild cards out among a few decks so i don't get bored.

Brand

Molten Core Raider
Stuck in plat, my refusal to play a Red Burn deck is the reason. It is my own fault. I'm waiting for bo3.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah but it isn't ranked so if no one is keeping track of how bad you're doing what's the point?

sure I guess

i just like playing mtg against a variety of decent decks and the best way to do that right now is casual bo3 or paid bo3

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Burn red is to powerful in Bo1. It is even more so if I get the play. I just play it because it is easily the most efficient way to get dailies done. Going first is such an advantage, that I save time conceding if my hand is shitty. A person going 2nd in Bo1 Should get some added life to make the difference up. It would be one thing if the cards to make this deck were high end cards but this deck is cheap as hell to make. Green/White can give it trouble but that deck is more expensive to make. I love seeing red when I play my Green/White Pathfinding deck.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Red is the way to grind rank at the moment. You just slaughter decks so fast with new red. A lot of people are trying out new cards slowing their decks down. New red is just faster then the red we had prior to new expansion except for the rare game where everything lines up. So add a faster red with meta that has slowed down for time being while people figure out cards and red decks feasts upon other deck types.

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Decklist please?
It's not tuned and I would definitely be playing another Ral, Izzet Viceroy if I owned one.

3 Guild Summit (GRN) 41
2 Island (RIX) 193
3 Gates Ablaze (RNA) 102
4 Gatebreaker Ram (RNA) 126
2 Forest (RIX) 196
3 Circuitous Route (GRN) 125
3 Gate Colossus (RNA) 232
4 Simic Guildgate (RNA) 258
4 Gruul Guildgate (RNA) 249
4 Izzet Guildgate (GRN) 252
2 Gateway Plaza (GRN) 247
3 Plaza of Harmony (RNA) 254
2 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
2 Electrodominance (RNA) 99
3 Lava Coil (GRN) 108
1 Mass Manipulation (RNA) 42
4 Growth Spiral (RNA) 178
2 Chemister's Insight (GRN) 32
1 Boros Guildgate (GRN) 244
3 Selesnya Guildgate (GRN) 256
3 Bring to Trial (RNA) 5
1 Ral, Izzet Viceroy (GRN) 195
1 Azorius Guildgate (RNA) 244

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
It's not tuned and I would definitely be playing another Ral, Izzet Viceroy if I owned one.

3 Guild Summit (GRN) 41
2 Island (RIX) 193
3 Gates Ablaze (RNA) 102
2 Forest (RIX) 196
3 Circuitous Route (GRN) 125
3 Gate Colossus (RNA) 232
4 Simic Guildgate (RNA) 258
4 Izzet Guildgate (GRN) 252
2 Gateway Plaza (GRN) 247
3 Plaza of Harmony (RNA) 254
2 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
2 Electrodominance (RNA) 99
3 Lava Coil (GRN) 108
1 Mass Manipulation (RNA) 42
2 Chemister's Insight (GRN) 32
1 Boros Guildgate (GRN) 244
3 Selesnya Guildgate (GRN) 256
3 Bring to Trial (RNA) 5
1 Ral, Izzet Viceroy (GRN) 195
1 Azorius Guildgate (RNA) 244

have you tried Archway Angel? seen a few people i've played against drop it and gain stupid amounts of life. hard to win after that. haven't personally piloted Gates yet tho.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
have you tried Archway Angel? seen a few people i've played against drop it and gain stupid amounts of life. hard to win after that. haven't personally piloted Gates yet tho.
By the time you could cast Archway Angel you should be winning the game with other stuff, and its totally dead early on. Gate Collossus is easily cast on turn 5 for 4 mana, or earlier if you get a Growth Spiral off. The GOAT (actually a sheep) is an absolute fucking b(l)eating, is frequently a 4/4 on turn 3 or a 5/5 or 6/6 on turn 4, brick-walling most of your opponents' shit. The GOAT is also a fine endgame win condition because it always survives a Gates Ablaze and then attacks for a dozen or so points on the now-empty board. Last game I played I went from NO board presence to 3 15/15 rams and 2 collosi on a single turn.

The best thing about this deck in the Ravnica Constructed queues is that it's even good against the stupid Persistent Petitioners deck because of the Gates Ablaze. I'm really considering a 4th Gates Ablaze but with the Spirals you should be able to hit 1 by the time you need it.

I went with White as my splash color because Bring to Trial is great in the mirror against opposing collosi but there may be other answers I'm not thinking of.

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Gatebreaker Ram has trample which is just fucking hilarious. It was totally not necessary.

And yes, the trample ability is relevant because it means you can't just chump it perpetually with Dawn of Hope.

Last edited:

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Gatebreaker Ram has trample which is just fucking hilarious. It was totally not necessary.

And yes, the trample ability is relevant because it means you can't just chump it perpetually with Dawn of Hope.

gatebreaker ram is my fav creature of the set easy, it's just fucking nuts

here's my bo3 deck - i've tried a number of variations and like this one the best

4 Circuitous Route (GRN) 125
2 Forest (XLN) 276
4 Gate Colossus (RNA) 232
4 Gates Ablaze (RNA) 102
4 Gateway Plaza (GRN) 247
3 Gift of Paradise (M19) 184
4 Guild Summit (GRN) 41
4 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
1 Island (XLN) 264
4 Izzet Guildgate (GRN) 251
1 Mountain (XLN) 272
4 Plaza of Harmony (RNA) 254
4 Shimmer of Possibility (RNA) 51
4 Simic Guildgate (RNA) 257
1 Banefire (M19) 130

1 Banefire (M19) 130
3 Fiery Cannonade (XLN) 143
2 Mass Manipulation (RNA) 42
4 Negate (RIX) 44
2 Niv-Mizzet, Parun (GRN) 192
2 Pelakka Wurm (M19) 192
1 Expansion // Explosion (GRN) 224

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

my ravnica deck kindof sucked. same same. not enough cards. These events are actually harder on new players.
That said, a proper boros should be pretty good at it. I had no idea how brutal this combo was before trying it. I knew people were underestimating formation though... "I" was underestimating swiftblade vindicator. I didnt see how to make that 1/1 work well..

next match I didnt highlight, also wrecked a gate deck. conclaved the ram. beat them up turn after turn with 2/2 healing hawks. when they tried to gates ablaze with 1 life left... indestrucabled one of the walks with "good boy" doggo. lol.

other games were more spotty 1 of this, 1 of that will do it to you.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
My list was for Ravnica Constructed, but your standard list is a good start. However, there are problems.

4 Guild Summits seems overkill, same for 4x of a 4 drop ramp spell when I already have a 4x of a 2 drop ramp spell. The other problem with Guild Summit is you don't want too many on the board, because the draw portion is not optional in the late game.

Gift of Paradise seems awful.

Ral, Izzet Viceroy is so good. I really like the idea of putting an Expansion/Explosion in the deck,

I'm not putting 4x of any card in my deck that I don't want to see 2-3 of in my opening hand.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user