MTG: Arena

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
If everyone hated RDW and aggro this month just wait until next with $7.5k on the line.

I'm really curious how this top 8 standing is going to work since mythic ranks change so fast and bo1/bo3 will share ranks.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Anyone mind providing lists of some competitive decks or a website that isn't a hot mess with decks? I don't mind subbing things in and out but I'm going to netdeck the shit out of the game for now so I don't craft dumb shit early on. I'd like a competitive RDW deck (yeah fuck me I know) and maybe a few more deck lists that are good so I don't burn (hah) myself out on cheap RDW.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Anyone mind providing lists of some competitive decks or a website that isn't a hot mess with decks? I don't mind subbing things in and out but I'm going to netdeck the shit out of the game for now so I don't craft dumb shit early on. I'd like a competitive RDW deck (yeah fuck me I know) and maybe a few more deck lists that are good so I don't burn (hah) myself out on cheap RDW.

Decklists

These are the decks from the events that Star City Games runs. These are physical events so keep that in mind but SCG runs big events and they run them well.

edit - start with Caleb Sherer's list, that skinny tweaker plays good magic

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

Articles
Magic: the Gathering Articles
CoolStuffInc.com online retailer of board games, mtg and many other collectible card games

these sites regularly post good Arena decklists, both budget and top tier. i get a lot of ideas from them.

some of the good decks are buried in articles that don't mention them in the title, btw. there are a couple good RDW lists in this article SCG Indianapolis Reflections | Article by Kyle Boggemes

edit -- whoops, Arbitrary^ posted a different source for the same decklist, i'm late to the game! :)

Last edited:
  • 2Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
THE MTG ARENA MYTHIC INVITATIONAL
Posted in Competitive Gaming on January 31, 2019
wizards_authorpic_larger.jpg

By Wizards of the Coast
Archive

The first-ever $1 million Magic: The Gathering Mythic Invitational is the kick-off of an exhilarating new world of competitive Magic—and you could be there!
The members of the Magic Pro League (MPL) will face off against some of the biggest names in Magicgaming and streaming as well as select, top-ranked MTG Arena challengers in a 64-player brawl for their share of $1 million with $250,000 going to first place. This is all happening March 28–31 at PAX East in Boston, Mass., and streaming aaaalll weekend on twitch.tv/magic.

WHO IS INVITED
The Mythic Invitational will be inviting a mix of the best of the best, names you know and love to watch, and players who are selected from among the top players on MTG Arena from February 1–28.

We have already selected 56 of the 64 players who will compete in the Mythic Invitational. Competitors were invited to represent the depth and diversity of the Magic gaming community, selected for having both the skill and the audience that will excite fans. Those players include:
Magic Pro League
Invitees
Additionally, the top 8 constructed players in the February Mythic rankings on MTG Arena will also be invited! Want to qualify? Read on.

HOW TO EARN AN INVITE
The final 8 slots in the Mythic Invitational will be filled with the best of the best constructed players in MTG Arena during the Feb. 1-28 preseason. Here’s how it’s going to work.

During the month of February—play MTG Arena! That’s a pretty easy step 1. If you aren’t already playing MTG Arena, you can download the game for free here.
Next—win! Achieving Mythic ranking is difficult, and getting to the top 8 is an even greater accomplishment. One worthy of an invitation to a $1 million tournament. You can play and win in ranked constructed, which includes best-of-one and best-of-three play.

We’ll be publishing official rankings of the top 100 weekly throughout the month of February and emailing players in the top 1000 once the season concludes. Note that your listed in-game ranking may not be accurately reflected in your displayed ranking, as the ranking system considers games played by other players that may not be visible moment-by-moment in what is displayed for any given player. All rankings will be final as of noon PT on Thursday, February 28.

Then, by Monday, March 4, we will email final, certified rankings to every player in the top 1,000. We’ll also contact the top 8 directly for more information. The top 8 will receive hotel and airfare accommodations for themselves and a four-day PAX East badge for themselves and one guest.For more details including additional rules and eligibility click here.

PRIZE STRUCTURE

Those 64 players will be competing for $1 million total, including $250,000 for winning the whole thing.

Payouts for the Mythic Invitational will break down like this:

FORMAT
The first Mythic Invitational is going to be fast, tense, and full of dramatic moments.

The tournament will feature double-elimination play through all days of the tournament (including Sunday) using a brand-new format we're calling Duo Standard.
In Duo Standard, players will submit two Standard–legal decks. Players will not sideboard between games, though they may submit a sideboard (for cards such as Mastermind’s Acquisition). Players can submit two different decks, two of the same archetype with different cards in both, or the exact same deck twice. Have at it!
Match play will take place using both of each players' submitted decks. Matches will be conducted as follows:

Game 1
  • Which deck each player plays and who goes first will be determined randomly.
Game 2
  • In the second game, players will use the deck that they didn't play in Game 1.
  • The player who went second in Game 1 now goes first.
Game 3 (if necessary)
  • Each player selects one of their two Standard decks to play for the third game.
  • Then the player who goes first in this game is determined at random.
You can read more about the philosophy behind formats on MTG Arena and how they add to many ways you can experience Magic in Aaron Forsythe and Chris Clay's article, which also went up today!

TOURNAMENT STRUCTURE

Over Thursday and Friday, groups of sixteen players will battle in double-elimination flights until four players from each flight remain. Those remaining sixteen players will advance to Saturday where another double-elimination bracket will advance four players to the Sunday finale. The final four will then play double-elimination once again to try to grab that $250,000 first prize.

The initial rounds will start at 9 a.m. ET (6 a.m. PT) Thursday through Saturday and will be streamed on twitch.tv/magic. The finals will begin at 10 a.m. ET (7 a.m. PT) on Sunday and will stream directly to your screen (still twitch.tv/magic) live from the PAX Arena.

LOOKING FORWARD

The first MTG Arena Mythic Championship will take place in mid-2019 and will feature Magic Pro League players battling against players who qualify via a traditional qualification system utilizing the in-game ranking system and structured tournaments. Details on how to qualify for this event will be published in February ahead of the start of the March ranked season.

Since the $1 million Mythic Invitational is an exhibition, it will not be part of Magic’s 2019 competitive ranking system, which will start with the tabletop Mythic Championship I in Cleveland. Details on the new system will be published prior to the event in Cleveland.

BE THERE!

The Mythic Invitational is going to be a historic weekend ushering in a new era of Magic esports. One way or another, you're not going to want to miss this event. Earn your invite through MTG Arena play, follow your favorite streamers as they prepare for the event, and follow along at home from twitch.tv/magic. We'll see you then!
Place Prize 1st place$250,0002nd$125,0003rd$70,0004th$45,0005th–16th$12,50017th–64th$7,500

• 1Like

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
What shit, Hasbro is going to kill Magic.

Inviting a bunch of shit tier streamers while ignoring better players who you know would shit talk their joke of a format.

Let's make a competitive format that requires two decks because sideboarding is "too complex" for mouth breather. Just spend double the wildcards.

Brand

Molten Core Raider
Fuck, I have to resist the urge to play onto this digital Protour...I barely managed to escape the protour lifestyle and get a normal life.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Jeff BooHoogland bitching that he didn't get an invite. The salt is flowing. It is satisfying to behold after his shitastic outbursts on Twitch.

The absolute best part is that people are pointing out that the MTGA team reached out to him to participate in a streamers only BO1 tourney with no prizes and he declined because of those two factors. Now he is maybe the only one of the streamers that didn't get invited to this one and he cannot put two and two together. What a fucking moron aspie.

Brand

Molten Core Raider
Jeff BooHoogland bitching that he didn't get an invite. The salt is flowing. It is satisfying to behold after his shitastic outbursts on Twitch.

The absolute best part is that people are pointing out that the MTGA team reached out to him to participate in a streamers only BO1 tourney with no prizes and he declined because of those two factors. Now he is maybe the only one of the streamers that didn't get invited to this one and he cannot put two and two together. What a fucking moron aspie.

He has no one to blame except himself. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that streaming is just as much about building relationships as it is about technical play (probably even more-so).

• 2Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

thanks fucking god, jeff hoogland, beyond being a fucking annoying faggot, is a cucked out armchair antifa insane sjw psycho bitch - anyone who watches him is a fucking dipshit

#metoo todd is much less annoying

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
This entire exhibition is just a gigantic hot dicking for everyone that ground the PT in the last few years. It's probably even worse than the reach around that the silver showcase thing was. Can you imagine being a gold pro and just getting ignored for the biggest payout event wotc has ever ran? Sorry loyal grinders, not enough slots left - we filled them all up by inviting literally every streamer with a vagina regardless of their audience or skill.

That doesn't even touch on what a joke of format they've created for this. It's like they saw the hearthstone gauntlet mode or whatever it was and thought that format was too skill intensive? I suppose it makes a sort of sense, as maybe this way Sparklegurl69 that streams to 11 people nightly can at least win some die rolls against people that know how to play the game.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Nice of them to add BO3 ranked, but getting to the Top 8 at BO3 speed is going to take a long damn time. Should have been separate ladders.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Oh please someone post a link of Jeff salting about his exclusion. I want that very much.

Here are some of them. It is ironic that he points out the REAL travesty which is that Caleb D was not invited even though he is an amazing MTG streamer and played in the BO1 no prize tourney that Jeff turned down.

1549041820937.png

1549041869509.png

1549041906629.png

1549041926478.png

1549041944545.png

1549041968579.png

ABSOLUTE BEST ONES! He simply doesn't realize the reason he, specifically, was not invited.

1549042164780.png

1549042114283.png

• 1Like

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Just wanted to throw out there for new people like me that Day9 has meta deck videos on his YouTube (that he netdecked) that show him playing the decks and the thought process that goes into it. Not that he is some amazing player but he is damn good at explaining shit.

Also, thanks everyone who replied for the links and tips. Really appreciate it.

Necrath Evilcraft

Golden Knight of the Realm
Thanks for the effort, Hoogland is such a shitbird. I had to block him in twitter i got tired of seeing his stuff in my feed via other mtg people. That dude has never been able to practice what he preaches. Cannot stand that man.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Nice of them to add BO3 ranked, but getting to the Top 8 at BO3 speed is going to take a long damn time. Should have been separate ladders.

They patched it now so you can either win 2 pips or lose two pips now in BO3.

Should go faster if you don't lose often.

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They are going to have to do something with Nexus of Fate. It is not Time Walk only because of its mana cost. This creates the only outside difference between the 2 cards. If Time Walk were standard legal even as a restricted card, every player that played blue would play the card. You cannot say this for Nexus of Fate. That is the only thing holding them back from banning/restricting it. It was the argument that got The Mind Sculptor Banned. All control players had to play Jace to be competitive.

That being said, Nexus of Fate is going to get hit. There are just to many supporting cards in the environment at the moment for this card to remain where it is. I am not sure who thought it was a great idea to improve the effect of Time Walk, even if at a much higher cost, but it was a bad one.

Can I design the Next Lotus?

Tiamet Lotus

2 Colorless cost

Tap for 6 mana of any color and sacrifice.

Quote on bottom of card

"It costs 2 mana to cast so its not as powerful as the Black Lotus"

Sterling

El Presidente
Hoogland is a douche so him not getting invited is probably good, but Caleb not getting an invite is kind of crazy.