MTG: Arena

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
My business is doing poorly, so I've had to start eating ramen noodles lately and don't have spare cash for games. Having said that, I've had the opportunity to make an observation that I wasn't able to make during the previous season.

This game is pay-to-win as fuck.

It's still fun tho.

Welcome to DCCG's. As far as grinding playable decks, this is one of the least p2w at the moment, but ya, online card games are always going to be pay to win

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
In the last few days I've gone from 50/50 to only losing.

This new season is really annoying. And while I understand that paying dollar dollar bills is the name of the game in card games, the balance of it all is fucked for players that aren't new and can't drop $100.

Back to other games I go!

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
If you're having a bad streak then suck it up. If you're not misplaying or flat out bad even precon decks can keep a 50% w/r over time and are good enough to hit mythic with.

Spending money is just having more decks to play with and nothing to do with having better decks since there are literally a dozen that are meta viable in all colors.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
If you're having a bad streak then suck it up. If you're not misplaying or flat out bad even precon decks can keep a 50% w/r over time and are good enough to hit mythic with.

Spending money is just having more decks to play with and nothing to do with having better decks since there are literally a dozen that are meta viable in all colors.

Whoosh!

You've completely missed the point here.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
The point is the game is not pay 2 win by any stretch. It's pay 2 have more options quickly. I haven't spent a penny on RNA and I have most of the cards out of it already that are worth using.

Even if I started today with a new account I could be grinding the ranked ladder no problem or getting 50+ games of constructed each week.

Pay 2 win is the battle cry of the bad, impatient and/or the broke in games like this.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Look into gate decks too, most can be made very cheap and are pretty satisfying to play, plus a few fun variations

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
StarCityGames.com - Display Deck

That deck has come in top 8s for the last few weeks. It has 8 rares in it and I'm not convinced you can't substitute for them. There are other WW variants that also do well...especially against the mono-red meta.

"Bro, the best red-mono decks have no rares/specials." -- sends link with 8 rares

I mean, I appreciate the help, but can you really say I don't have a leg to stand on when your response is to send me a deck that would require a $100 investment?

I understand the spirit of your argument, but you guys are making my point for me. I'm not shitting on MTG, I enjoy it actually, but no on here has actually proved me wrong by providing a cheap deck. In fact, you've done the opposite.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Lurkers coming out of the woodwork because I'm saying MTGA is pay-to-win, lol.

Me saying MTGA is pay-to-win isn't the same as saying MTG isn't fun or that MTGA is a bad game.

Please, learn the difference aspies. And it is pay-to-win.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>

Me saying MTGA is pay-to-win isn't the same as saying MTG isn't fun or that MTGA is a bad game.

I downloaded the client and spent 300$ to build whatever deck I want.

The correct statement is "the game is timmy pays to win", since combo decks are a hassle to play and the BO1 format being as popular as it is benefits simple agro strats.

Stacking teferi / wilderness triggers and resolving nexus in the end step is painfully annoying and can't be set on loop or repeated targets.

The simplification of magic is turning me away from it.

Brand

Molten Core Raider

Welcome to ignore. Your crybaby stance is understood and now placed in it's logical place.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Welcome to ignore. Your crybaby stance is understood and now placed in it's logical place.

I guess you take offense to being referred to as an aspie.

Didn't realize I was hitting so close to home.

I take it back, lol!

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Magic is never pay to win, if you think it is, its time you take your suck-at-pauper ass out of the game.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
In the last few days I've gone from 50/50 to only losing.

This new season is really annoying. And while I understand that paying dollar dollar bills is the name of the game in card games, the balance of it all is fucked for players that aren't new and can't drop $100.

Back to other games I go!

$20 should be enough to get a couple decks to grind up points going, you can go infinite if you can get like 6 wins each draft.