MTG: Arena

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
So any cool non-control decks anyone has come up with? I'm still running Boros Angels but it's super weak to control and now autoloses to every deck that includes the uncommon card that lets you untap your lands EoT because fuck balance amirite.

Also aside from counterspelling / discard how do you get rid of God Eternals? Seems pretty fucking dumb that you can't destroy or exile them without them coming back. What happened to this set?

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
So any cool non-control decks anyone has come up with? I'm still running Boros Angels but it's super weak to control and now autoloses to every deck that includes the uncommon card that lets you untap your lands EoT because fuck balance amirite.

Also aside from counterspelling / discard how do you get rid of God Eternals? Seems pretty fucking dumb that you can't destroy or exile them without them coming back. What happened to this set?

I'm ripping shit to shreads with Boros Feather deck. Dreadhorde Arcanist basically looks at every Counterspelled buff I get in the face, says "fuck you" and brings it back from the graveyard same turn. Against other aggro decks it's about a 50/50 chance; all about who can get out what the fastest. Gruul decks still smash the fuck out of me sometimes, but hey can't win them all.

For the Gods I honestly just straight up kill them as fast as possible. Yes they come back, but it gives you 3 rounds basically to put on enough pressure that not even a God can save them.

It's fun to see people quit on me after 2 rounds before the match even gets started. Is this what Control feels like all the time?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
i'm a big fan of the card but starting to really get tired of though erasure in 90% of decks

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
@a_skeleton_02 what you been playing?

we need tags in this thread for folks who play mtg and folks to play bo1

4 Sulfur Falls (DAR) 247
4 Steam Vents (GRN) 257
8 Island (XLN) 265
5 Mountain (XLN) 273
4 Arclight Phoenix (GRN) 91
1 God-Eternal Kefnet (WAR) 53
1 Ral, Izzet Viceroy (GRN) 195
1 Beacon Bolt (GRN) 154
4 Chart a Course (XLN) 48
4 Crackling Drake (GRN) 163
4 Opt (XLN) 65
2 Radical Idea (GRN) 52
2 Lightning Strike (XLN) 149
4 Shock (M19) 156
4 Tormenting Voice (M19) 164
2 Spell Pierce (XLN) 81
3 Finale of Promise (WAR) 127
3 Saheeli, Sublime Artificer (WAR) 234

1 Disdainful Stroke (GRN) 37
2 Entrancing Melody (XLN) 55
3 Negate (RIX) 44
2 Niv-Mizzet, Parun (GRN) 192
4 Lava Coil (GRN) 108
3 Narset, Parter of Veils (WAR) 61

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
So... how the heck does the 'Vault' work?

I have gotten two fifth copies of cards (one common, one uncommon)... what does it 'take' to unlock the Vault?

Information I can find is kind of vague, but I believe it works like this

Open a 5th common/uncommon in a pack or in limited, you get .1/.33% towards your vault being opened.

Open a 5th rare or mythic in a pack, it rerolls to a new one. Do it in limited, you get 20/40 gems.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
4 Sulfur Falls (DAR) 247
4 Steam Vents (GRN) 257
8 Island (XLN) 265
5 Mountain (XLN) 273
4 Arclight Phoenix (GRN) 91
1 God-Eternal Kefnet (WAR) 53
1 Ral, Izzet Viceroy (GRN) 195
1 Beacon Bolt (GRN) 154
4 Chart a Course (XLN) 48
4 Crackling Drake (GRN) 163
4 Opt (XLN) 65
2 Radical Idea (GRN) 52
2 Lightning Strike (XLN) 149
4 Shock (M19) 156
4 Tormenting Voice (M19) 164
2 Spell Pierce (XLN) 81
3 Finale of Promise (WAR) 127
3 Saheeli, Sublime Artificer (WAR) 234

1 Disdainful Stroke (GRN) 37
2 Entrancing Melody (XLN) 55
3 Negate (RIX) 44
2 Niv-Mizzet, Parun (GRN) 192
4 Lava Coil (GRN) 108
3 Narset, Parter of Veils (WAR) 61

you climbing ladder or doing event?

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If you're gonna talk about your pwnage deck, you gotta post said deck brah. Asmadai Asmadai

7 Plains (DAR) 252
7 Mountain (XLN) 272
2 Legion Warboss (GRN) 109
4 Swiftblade Vindicator (GRN) 203
2 Tajic, Legion's Edge (GRN) 204
4 Integrity // Intervention (GRN) 227
4 Sacred Foundry (GRN) 254
4 Defiant Strike (WAR) 9
4 Dreadhorde Arcanist (WAR) 125
4 Samut's Sprint (WAR) 142
4 Feather, the Redeemed (WAR) 197
4 Tenth District Legionnaire (WAR) 222
4 Clifftop Retreat (DAR) 239
4 Reckless Rage (RIX) 110
2 Sheltering Light (XLN) 35

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
you climbing ladder or doing event?

I hit Mythic with it the day after WAR came out going undefeated in Diamond with it.

I'll be climbing with it this weekend most likely

Entrancing Melody isn't that good with Electromancer so i'm going to figure out something to swap it out with.

Moving the Lava coils to the board is good with such a heavy control meta Shock and 2 Lightning strike feels fine so i don't get run over by Agro, No exile effects is bad versus Rekindling phoenix game 1 though.

Radical Idea is not as good with out Electromancer so i cut it down to 2 since it is still a viable discard outlet.

Discovery//Dispersal is a 7 CMC card in the Graveyard so it doesn't work with Finale of Promise so I cut it and added 2 more Tormenting voice, Makes it a little more fragile versus Mono Blue but I have not played that in BO3 in forever.

• Lightning Strike is good because no one plays it outside mono red and with the increase in Planes walkers it has stolen a lot of unexpected EOT walker deaths.
  • Finale of Promise is a house, You change your entire game plan from holding spells to to activate Phoenix to using your draw power to find answers and using Finale to recur the spells
  • A single Finale of Promise cast 2 will bring back your phoenix's by recasting Chart a Course/Tormenting Voice/Finale of Promise and Opt/Shock/Lighting Strike/Radical Idea.
  • Saheeli main deck is fantastic as she by herself is a viable win condition when you play 1/3 spells a turn if you cast Finale of Promise with her on board you get 3 tokens. She helps chump block versus agro decks as well.
  • Using Saheeli's Neg ability to creature a copy of a creature has won me so many games, Imagine playing a 12/4 Crackling drake versus esper then making a copy of it that doesn't have summoning sickness to close out the game. You can also use her ability to copy a phoenix as well since the card also has haste.
  • Spell Pierce at 2 is there so I can have a better chance game 1 versus Wild Rec and to randomly skeet on turn 5 tefari curve.
  • Narset out of the board is a house versus Wild Rec and if they cannot remove it then they just roll over. It's also good versus Esper
  • Lava coil goes in versus gruul and WW.
  • Board out Tormenting voice if you expect heavy counter magic. I may swap melody for another threat in that case.
  • Dovin, Hand of Control brought in versus us by Esper is bad news his +1 to spells hurts us bad as it prevent promise copies from resolving and it's high loyalty and neg 1 on a crackling drake is back breaking, Narset is also a good card against us.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I hit Mythic with it the day after WAR came out going undefeated in Diamond with it.

I'll be climbing with it this weekend most likely

Entrancing Melody isn't that good with Electromancer so i'm going to figure out something to swap it out with.

Moving the Lava coils to the board is good with such a heavy control meta Shock and 2 Lightning strike feels fine so i don't get run over by Agro, No exile effects is bad versus Rekindling phoenix game 1 though.

Radical Idea is not as good with out Electromancer so i cut it down to 2 since it is still a viable discard outlet.

Discovery//Dispersal is a 7 CMC card in the Graveyard so it doesn't work with Finale of Promise so I cut it and added 2 more Tormenting voice, Makes it a little more fragile versus Mono Blue but I have not played that in BO3 in forever.

• Lightning Strike is good because no one plays it outside mono red and with the increase in Planes walkers it has stolen a lot of unexpected EOT walker deaths.
  • Finale of Promise is a house, You change your entire game plan from holding spells to to activate Phoenix to using your draw power to find answers and using Finale to recur the spells
  • A single Finale of Promise cast 2 will bring back your phoenix's by recasting Chart a Course/Tormenting Voice/Finale of Promise and Opt/Shock/Lighting Strike/Radical Idea.
  • Saheeli main deck is fantastic as she by herself is a viable win condition when you play 1/3 spells a turn if you cast Finale of Promise with her on board you get 3 tokens. She helps chump block versus agro decks as well.
  • Using Saheeli's Neg ability to creature a copy of a creature has won me so many games, Imagine playing a 12/4 Crackling drake versus esper then making a copy of it that doesn't have summoning sickness to close out the game. You can also use her ability to copy a phoenix as well since the card also has haste.
  • Spell Pierce at 2 is there so I can have a better chance game 1 versus Wild Rec and to randomly skeet on turn 5 tefari curve.
  • Narset out of the board is a house versus Wild Rec and if they cannot remove it then they just roll over. It's also good versus Esper
  • Lava coil goes in versus gruul and WW.
  • Board out Tormenting voice if you expect heavy counter magic. I may swap melody for another threat in that case.
  • Dovin, Hand of Control brought in versus us by Esper is bad news his +1 to spells hurts us bad as it prevent promise copies from resolving and it's high loyalty and neg 1 on a crackling drake is back breaking, Narset is also a good card against us.

ya I wish I could have played more the first couple days for the easy grind up to mythic, now it's a slog through 20 minute control games, oof

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
If I remember right from streams, there's a card that basically rewrites your creature into a 1/1 with no abilities. Then you kill it and it's gone.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
If I remember right from streams, there's a card that basically rewrites your creature into a 1/1 with no abilities. Then you kill it and it's gone.

White has a lot that can get it out of business. Ixalan's, Hieromancer, Luminous Bonds and a couple more. Better to lock it down then send it to graveyard/exile.