MTG: Arena

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
this gonna be the meta of long ass games

WHO THE FUCK PLAYS SPELL PIERCE MAIN

I was playing Traditonal Draft yesterday, drafted a Red/Black deck, ended up in a mirror match vs another RB deck and the match lasted 40 fucking minutes. No exaggeration.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Thought Erasure, Thought Erasure, Thought Erasure.

So boring.

Trying to make this knights deck work, but it's still a bit too slow without a perfect opening hand, but it seems to be doing well against most meta decks.

8 Swamp (RIX) 194
8 Plains (RIX) 192
4 Knight of Grace (DAR) 23
4 Knight of Malice (DAR) 97
2 Midnight Reaper (GRN) 77
3 Tithe Taker (RNA) 27
3 Gideon Blackblade (WAR) 13
2 Liliana, Dreadhorde General (WAR) 97
2 Seraph of the Scales (RNA) 205
2 Mortify (RNA) 192
2 Vraska's Contempt (XLN) 129
4 History of Benalia (DAR) 21
2 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper (RNA) 186
4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
4 Isolated Chapel (DAR) 241
2 God-Eternal Bontu (WAR) 92
2 The Eldest Reborn (DAR) 90
2 Despark (WAR) 190

Rime

<Donor>
Playing some craptastic Black Discard/Amass/Zombie deck (Stuck with 500 gold quests, black is the only color available to me that will not complete them).

Seeing some... actual success? Once in a while, a vampire aggro or drakes deck will get to speed too quickly, but otherwise is not horrible so far.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Fun AND effective!

4 Adanto Vanguard (XLN) 1
4 Dreadhorde Arcanist (WAR) 125
4 Tenth District Legionnaire (WAR) 222
4 Feather, the Redeemed (WAR) 197
3 Gideon Blackblade (WAR) 13
4 Defiant Strike (WAR) 9
3 Dive Down (XLN) 53
4 Reckless Rage (RIX) 110
2 Sheltering Light (XLN) 35
2 Gird for Battle (GRN) 12
2 Rile (XLN) 158
2 Chart a Course (XLN) 48
4 Glacial Fortress (XLN) 255
4 Clifftop Retreat (DAR) 239
4 Steam Vents (GRN) 257
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
4 Sacred Foundry (GRN) 254
2 Sulfur Falls (DAR) 247

1 Disdainful Stroke (GRN) 37
4 Dovin's Veto (WAR) 193
2 Lava Coil (GRN) 108
3 Tocatli Honor Guard (XLN) 42
2 Deafening Clarion (GRN) 165
2 Saheeli, Sublime Artificer (WAR) 234
1 Lyra Dawnbringer (DAR) 26

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's like, lets take a perfectly good Red/White deck, and give it Control herpes with draw cards and counterspells. :p

Nah, fucking with you, if it works it works. Do you!

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
It's like, lets take a perfectly good Red/White deck, and give it Control herpes with draw cards and counterspells. :p

Nah, fucking with you, if it works it works. Do you!

Not my list, it was 6-0 at the SCG tounament this weekend. Didn't make the top 8 though. I can't find out how it did after I last saw it though. I know it at least made day 2.

Last edited:

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Fuck Deck Matching, i'm about to declare shenanigans on the entire shuffling system in this game. I've been dealing myself hands for 25 fucking years and i've not seen the streaks of bad luck/shit hands/mulligan-down-to-2-cards or trying to suffer through a mediocre hand, only to somehow draw ALL FOUR OF A SINGLE FUCKING CARD BACK TO BACK bullshit in my life.

Fuck.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Fuck Deck Matching, i'm about to declare shenanigans on the entire shuffling system in this game. I've been dealing myself hands for 25 fucking years and i've not seen the streaks of bad luck/shit hands/mulligan-down-to-2-cards or trying to suffer through a mediocre hand, only to somehow draw ALL FOUR OF A SINGLE FUCKING CARD BACK TO BACK bullshit in my life.

Fuck.

Yeah, it's real bad.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rime

<Donor>
Absolutely is deck matching.

It seems to give you a few random, then starts matching you either based on deck 'cost'/mythic amount or unfavorable matches.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Absolutely is deck matching.

It seems to give you a few random, then starts matching you either based on deck 'cost'/mythic amount or unfavorable matches.

Mist Mist posted a deck a few days ago and made a comment about the deck being weak to aggro red... I did pretty well for a few games, but after I started winning all I got matched with was aggro red and I struggled to win again.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
All I get matched with is red aggro no matter what deck I play now.

I've never seen so much fun police in my fucking life.

Also I do not believe that the G/u stompy deck is particularly weak to red, just the 1 drops. Fast Nullhide Ferox and Ghalta will win you a lot of games because they have 0 answers.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The hands you've been dealing yourself for 25 years have never been close to approaching truly random because you don't shuffle enough, or well enough.

You fucking cavemen need to give it up about the shuffler already, my god. Your anecdotal losing streaks and strings of bad matchup pairings sure are compelling evidence that there is a grand conspiracy against you, personally you, to prevent you from advancing as fast as you feel you should through the ladder or whatever.

• 2Like
  • 1Salty

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?

Welcome to the Arena meta? This will never change unless mono red or other similar extreme aggression strategies are completely neutered in a year or whatever.

In a game with a massive grind for f2p players to build a collection the objective best choice is to slam the deck with the fastest rate of churning games while still maintaining something approaching an acceptable win rate.

• 3Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Trying to get a janky BO1 deck going combining Bolas'Citadel with Firesong and Sunspeaker so that my burn spells get lifelink and fuel the life I'm paying to run Citadel. But it doesn't seem to work at all and it's making me sad.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I got so royally beat down yesterday in Arena that I was like fuck this game lol. Oh... I'll go back you know.. because... addicted, but holy fucking hell did I get beat bad on every single deck I tried yesterday. It was like the people I was getting put up against always had a perfect draw. They had an answer to every single thing I tried. It was bad lol.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande

Also I do not believe that the G/u stompy deck is particularly weak to red, just the 1 drops. Fast Nullhide Ferox and Ghalta will win you a lot of games because they have 0 answers.
So... put sideboard cards against red aggro into your deck?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I personally think the shuffler is fine. Deck matching is also fine in non-ranked play. In ranked bo3 and paid bo3 event, it's absolutely not fine to be deck matching, and it's for sure happening.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Welcome to the Arena meta? This will never change unless mono red or other similar extreme aggression strategies are completely neutered in a year or whatever.

In a game with a massive grind for f2p players to build a collection the objective best choice is to slam the deck with the fastest rate of churning games while still maintaining something approaching an acceptable win rate.
Yeah that's what I was saying earlier. The mono colored aggressive decks are all cheap and still good while still being real decks that win at a reasonable rate. Who knew people would jam them more often plus the quick turnarounds on games/matches make them overrerpresented in queues.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I personally think the shuffler is fine. Deck matching is also fine in non-ranked play. In ranked bo3 and paid bo3 event, it's absolutely not fine to be deck matching, and it's for sure happening.

Until someone does the research I'll call shenanigans.

I'm running mtga tracker this season from plat4 to mythic I think it snapshots the opposing decks as well.

If so we can look into it.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Until someone does the research I'll call shenanigans.

I'm running mtga tracker this season from plat4 to mythic I think it snapshots the opposing decks as well.

If so we can look into it.

shenanigans on which side? you think no deck matching or deck matching?

I should turn my tracker back on but I'm too lazy, but play 20 games with esper or grixis control, 20 games with gruul, and then make a completely off meta quality 'jank' deck and do 20 games. Or hell, just make a fun jank that can win enough and head into ranked bo3 and you'll start seeing decks you've never dreamed existed, some good some shit.

But ya, until someone takes the time to prove it it's all anecdotal.