MTG: Arena

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
^The God-Eternals are such... ugh. Just ugh. So few ways to deal with them.

With so many GY shenanigans and the God-Eternals, I've been happy to have Ashiok in sideboard consistently.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Playing 3 narset in my Phoenix board and I love dropping it on wildrec players.

Oh I need to post my new Phoenix List right now it's spicy. I'm playing around with it in Mythic but everyone else is also testing new shit.

I saw some esper super friends control list playing Narset ,Tefaris ,Dovin hand of control

Made me want to kill myself

Edit: Here is the new Hotness.

1 Blood Crypt (RNA) 245
4 Sulfur Falls (DAR) 247
4 Steam Vents (GRN) 257
8 Island (XLN) 265
4 Mountain (XLN) 273
4 Arclight Phoenix (GRN) 91
1 God-Eternal Kefnet (WAR) 53
1 Ral, Izzet Viceroy (GRN) 195
1 Beacon Bolt (GRN) 154
4 Chart a Course (XLN) 48
4 Crackling Drake (GRN) 163
4 Opt (XLN) 65
4 Radical Idea (GRN) 52
4 Shock (M19) 156
4 Tormenting Voice (M19) 164
2 Spell Pierce (XLN) 81
3 Finale of Promise (WAR) 127
3 Saheeli, Sublime Artificer (WAR) 234

1 Disdainful Stroke (GRN) 37
1 Spell Pierce (XLN) 81
1 Entrancing Melody (XLN) 55
3 Negate (RIX) 44
2 Niv-Mizzet, Parun (GRN) 192
4 Lava Coil (GRN) 108
3 Narset, Parter of Veils (WAR) 61

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
The god cards are inane. 4/5 flying for 4 mana that keeps coming back, genius design on top of the card draw thing it has. What retard thought this was a good idea. Maybe for 6-7 mana at best.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Maybe I'm just lucky in the worst way, but this deck gets mana flooded like a motherfucker.
Vivien's Arkbow? Or too slow?

Random aside, opened a nice foil Bontu at Prerelease with Ugin the normal rare. While Bontu didn't get stuff done as much as SOMETHING ELSE (Oketra/Rhonas) would have in Limited, a 5/6 Menace for 5 that draws me 2-4 cards when it lands is fine. :p Surprisingly, she did not get Prison Term'd as much as I thought she would. Everyone was too focused on Ugin and which combat tricks were under my 2/2s.

Random thoughts on Prerelease: Kasmina is a real pain in the ass to deal with, as is Arlinn. Played GWb and opened a whole ONE flier... the artifact 2/3. I ended up not running it because I had other things going for me. Like Huatli supercharging half my creatures and having Ignite the Beacon to tutor for her/Ajani/Ugin/Vraska. I deliberately played Bulwark Giants over Primordial Wurm because of Ajani's Pridemate and being able to dig for Huatli to make them 6/6s.

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Maybe I'm just lucky in the worst way, but this deck gets mana flooded like a motherfucker.
You're supposed to win before that's a problem.

Also, you're supposed to mulligan aggressively.

Don't have a turn 1 play or a strong turn 2-3-4 play sequence? Mulligan. 5 land opener? Mulligan. Always mulligan weak hands, because you were going to lose anyway, and a random new hand is better than a hand you already know is a loser.

One of the biggest differences between regular players and pros, is that pros mulligan a LOT more. If you look at your opening 7 and say "I don't see how this hand wins me the game" then draw a new one. Especially for aggro decks, since you're probably going to win before you empty your hand anyway, 6 random cards + a free scry is usually way better than 7 bad ones.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the Explore cards make mulliganning with this deck even safer. They make it much more consistent that you will hit your third or 4th land drop even if you keep a 6 or even a 5 card hand with a Merfolk Branchwalker.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

Don't have a turn 1 play or a strong turn 2-3-4 play sequence? Mulligan. 5 land opener? Mulligan. Always mulligan weak hands, because you were going to lose anyway, and a random new hand is better than a hand you already know is a loser.

One of the biggest differences between regular players and pros, is that pros mulligan a LOT more. If you look at your opening 7 and say "I don't see how this hand wins me the game" then draw a new one. Especially for aggro decks, since you're probably going to win before you empty your hand anyway, 6 random cards + a free scry is usually way better than 7 bad ones.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the Explore cards make mulliganning with this deck even safer. They make it much more consistent that you will hit your third or 4th land drop even if you keep a 6 or even a 5 card hand with a Merfolk Branchwalker.

Thanks for the tips.

Typically I won't mulligan if I need one land to drop or something like that. Are you suggesting that even if I only need 1 land, I should aggressively mulligan because my opening hand isn't winnable or that should I simply mulligan if I have a shitty hand?

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You should always mulligan one landers unless it's your second mulligan. Then it's still questionable to ever keep a one lander.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Is it possible to play this game(or card games in general) in a casual-yet-hardcore manner? Like, I want to feel like I'm making the right decisions because I know the meta and what cards the opponent will likely play. But I don't see that as possible without investing tons of hours into the game. I have no problems spending money on the game.

I'm looking for something to play between PoE leagues and this is the only thing that's feeling remotely desirable.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

Mist, any updates to the deck and how is the Golgari version? Deck was fun and powerful but haven't played since new release. Have you moved to another deck since then?

Sterling

El Presidente
Is it possible to play this game(or card games in general) in a casual-yet-hardcore manner? Like, I want to feel like I'm making the right decisions because I know the meta and what cards the opponent will likely play. But I don't see that as possible without investing tons of hours into the game. I have no problems spending money on the game.

I'm looking for something to play between PoE leagues and this is the only thing that's feeling remotely desirable.
If you want to buy a shitload of packs and just build whatever you want and start playing ranked that's easy enough to do. If you're talking about going deep into mythic ranking to try and Q or whatever that will take a lot of time regardless of your collection.

Caliane

I'm clearly just bad too.

First, I didn't copy it exactly, becuase I didnt have 4 pelt collecters, or the wildcards to spend. so did a few subs. jadelight also. Put growth chamber gaurdians in instead. and lazoplate from War.
Green evasive | MTG Arena Deck List | MTG Arena Pro

14:9 yesterday in gold with it. Which 60% I guess isn't "bad" but it didn't feel great.
lost to fucking basic ass merfolk a couple times.. Occasional mana flood. Sacrifice decks were a major problem.

Ghaltas I don't think got me any actual wins. A few, instant concedes perhaps, but never the actual kill. ferox, and/or deckhand boosted champions did.
I really felt I was lacking targeted removal over and over in the current meta. Like, previously mentioned sacrifice decks, and death baron/deathtouch decks. lost badly to grim initiates/deathbaron at one point.

Last edited:

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
If you want to buy a shitload of packs and just build whatever you want and start playing ranked that's easy enough to do. If you're talking about going deep into mythic ranking to try and Q or whatever that will take a lot of time regardless of your collection.
No, I mean like making decisions based on the meta, which always feels like it moves faster than I can keep up with. I used to watch Kibler and Firebat back when I played Hearthstone and they would verbalize lines of thought that I would never have thought of. Granted, they're professionals, they should be that good, but I also think it's a lot of time investment. This is part of the reason I preferred Arena in Hearthstone. The meta was much less defined, so playing around your opponent took less time to master.

Does MTGA have something similar, or am I just trying to mold the wrong type of game to my whims?

Sterling

El Presidente
Recently decks have been fairly established even if specific cards change from time to time, but that's not always the case in magic. some formats are more set early than others.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Mist, any updates to the deck and how is the Golgari version? Deck was fun and powerful but haven't played since new release. Have you moved to another deck since then?
I've played exactly 1 match of Ranked since WAR came out just to grab a win and hopefully stay in the top 1000 when the season ends so I can qualify.

Other than that I've just been playing Sealed and I just drafted my first deck.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm clearly just bad too.

First, I didn't copy it exactly, becuase I didnt have 4 pelt collecters, or the wildcards to spend. so did a few subs. jadelight also. Put growth chamber gaurdians in instead. and lazoplate from War.
Green evasive | MTG Arena Deck List | MTG Arena Pro

14:9 yesterday in gold with it. Which 60% I guess isn't "bad" but it didn't feel great.
lost to fucking basic ass merfolk a couple times.. Occasional mana flood. Sacrifice decks were a major problem.

Ghaltas I don't think got me any actual wins. A few, instant concedes perhaps, but never the actual kill. ferox, and/or deckhand boosted champions did.
I really felt I was lacking targeted removal over and over in the current meta. Like, previously mentioned sacrifice decks, and death baron/deathtouch decks. lost badly to grim initiates/deathbaron at one point.
Pelt Collector is like the second or third best card in the deck. It is also how you get out fast Ghaltas. You can't replace it. It might even be the best card. Having 8 one-drops that aggressively promote your strategy is how you beat Control and out-midrange other Midrange decks, and how you GO BIGGER than wide decks like WW. Pelt Collector is only 'bad' against Red Deck.

Jadelights are one of the weakest cards in the deck and can definitely be replaced, there's just no really good G/u 3 drop, unlike G/r where you have the fantastically amazing Gruul Spellbreaker at 3, or Legion Warboss or maybe even Krenko (Krenko could get you some seriously fast Ghalta's but that seems greedy as fuck.)

Caliane

Pelt Collector is like the second or third best card in the deck. It is also how you get out fast Ghaltas. You can't replace it. It might even be the best card. Having 8 one-drops that aggressively promote your strategy is how you beat Control and out-midrange other Midrange decks, and how you GO BIGGER than wide decks like WW. Pelt Collector is only 'bad' against Red Deck.

Jadelights are one of the weakest cards in the deck and can definitely be replaced, there's just no really good G/u 3 drop, unlike G/r where you have the fantastically amazing Gruul Spellbreaker at 3, or Legion Warboss or maybe even Krenko (Krenko could get you some seriously fast Ghalta's but that seems greedy as fuck.)
please send wildcards.