MTG: Arena

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
shenanigans on which side? you think no deck matching or deck matching?

I should turn my tracker back on but I'm too lazy, but play 20 games with esper or grixis control, 20 games with gruul, and then make a completely off meta quality 'jank' deck and do 20 games. Or hell, just make a fun jank that can win enough and head into ranked bo3 and you'll start seeing decks you've never dreamed existed, some good some shit.

But ya, until someone takes the time to prove it it's all anecdotal.

I'm on the side that Hasbro can't be that stupid to deck match on a ranked format with monetary prizes on the line.

Plus deck matching means more work to actually write the code.

I feel that it's annecdotal and salty peeps

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I'm on the side that Hasbro can't be that stupid to deck match on a ranked format with monetary prizes on the line.

Plus deck matching means more work to actually write the code.

I feel that it's annecdotal and salty peeps

well they 100% have the code for non-ranked/tourny, so that's not an issue. Could be salt but I highly recommend playing something way off meta in bo3 ranked and seeing the shit you run in to. Or maybe i'm crazy. I'm convinced there's deck matching in tourny modes though.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
You feel it's annecdotal and salty peeps huh? LOL...

I do, If Deck matching was an issue some streamer or autist on the MTGReddit would of already done the research and find out.

Some dude just shuffled 1000 hands of magic in Arena to test something the other day.

I don't think it exists in ranked and I'd toss it up to bias and or play time. I play weird shit during prime time but if you play durning the day or late at night it's pretty standard.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I do, If Deck matching was an issue some streamer or autist on the MTGReddit would of already done the research and find out.

Some dude just shuffled 1000 hands of magic in Arena to test something the other day.

I don't think it exists in ranked and I'd toss it up to bias and or play time. I play weird shit during prime time but if you play durning the day or late at night it's pretty standard.

My point was that you're discounting other's annecdotal observations based on your own. Pot/Kettle.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Ive learned from lend that anecdotes = facts and data so the verdict is in

• 1Ice Burn
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
no, I was saying we all have anecdotal observations and until someone does the work to prove otherwise it's all just bunk.

Its the same thing I've noticed in basically ALL CCG's - its time of day.

I stick consistent to the same deck (with minor tweaks at best) in any CCG I play for at least a week at a time, and I'll notice I'll get an absurd amount of the same match over and over again at (hypothetically) 10am when I'm playing a little in the morning, then I'll play some in the afternoon at 4pm and get a different deck pairing but it's almost every match and then late hours I'll get paired with a different deck as the common one.

Not sure if it's friends clumping or what have you - or demographics of "X deck appeals to Y people that tend to play Z time" or whatever - but I've noticed it, but I've also absolutely noticed the time of day factor to it.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
(And of course my woman plays next to me too - and by and far whatever I'm getting paired with at a given time matches her pairings too - and I tend to play more control/combo and she's more of a stompy player -- sadly she's actually ranking better than me though, she's Gold and I'm Silver ATM - although I do a fraction the constructed she does, since I do enjoy draft more)

Rime

<Donor>
I made him play it out.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
So is there deck matching in ranked or not? 90% of the time you can predict the matchup by the deck you play. Playing a sacrifice Orzhov? oh here's some Orzhov mirror or token decks. Playing drakes? oh here's Ashiok.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
So is there deck matching in ranked or not? 90% of the time you can predict the matchup by the deck you play. Playing a sacrifice Orzhov? oh here's some Orzhov mirror or token decks. Playing drakes? oh here's Ashiok.

Do you know how impossibly hard that would be to program?

Someone hit play quick they play Drake's lets find someone who also hit play that same second buy also plays ashiok.

There is a reason ranked queue is instant and play can take minutes.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Casting Enter the God Eternals is fun. I wish it hit planeswalkers.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

yeahthatisneathuh

Trakanon Raider
Every single sealed and draft is Super Friends. I'm already over it. The amount of sitting there thinking "huh should I cast this loyalty ability"every turn is sapping what little fun I got from it. I still have ~5000 gems and I'm just gonna shelve this for a few months.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Every single sealed and draft is Super Friends. I'm already over it. The amount of sitting there thinking "huh should I cast this loyalty ability "every turn is sapping what little fun I got from it. I still have ~5000 gems and I'm just gonna shelve this for a few months.
lol I love it. Sealed/draft games with complex board states is my favorite aspect of magic.

• 1Like

yeahthatisneathuh

Trakanon Raider
lol I love it. Sealed/draft games with complex board states is my favorite aspect of magic.

I don't mind the complexity, I mind that the person across from me is sitting there thinking about his 3 abilities that offer NOTHING but upsides and hovering over each one like they're discovering it for the first time ever, every game. A tense battle of abilities is fine, a turn 4 "hmm...do I use this ability? Let me read the card I'm not sure" is draining and compounds when there are 6 planeswalkers in play.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I'm testing that deck right now, with metagame tweaks for Bo1. Really liking it, went up 2 subranks already.

I'm working on an Esper Amass with Kefnet and Bolas' Citadel that is doing decently in BO3 so far for being pretty unoptimized. What colors are you trying?