Mtg EDH thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

RQB

Mr. Poopybutthole
You'll need some way to end the game, as swinging for 1 with him over and over seems not ideal. In mono blue your options are basically some kind of big storm payoff (very hard to do with brain freeze given deck sizes), or setting up some sort of infinite combo, mana, extra turns, whatever. Creature based plans seem not great in mono blue aside from just ramping up to like a blightsteel or something, but that feels pretty flimsy for EDH.

Planar portal + beacon of tomorrows is the age old blue combo standby if you want to go that route. Otherwise there's plenty of options to make infinite (or near enough) mana with various urza free spells/high tide/isochron scepter etc.

I've got the lab maniac wincon to mill myself. Some wizards if I need to aggro. Aetherflux to just shoot someone. Metallurgical summoning to generate stuff. Since erayo is banned, was thinking the jace from shadows paired with a deep glow skate and arcane lab. I know some of those are iffy but if it works... uh that other blue legendary that generates tokens when you play spells.

Oh and magosi infinite combo as well.

RQB

Mr. Poopybutthole
So I got Baral built. Works like a dream. Arcane Lab coupled with the jace emblem from shadows... So mean. I've played a dozen games so far and lost once and that was one on one.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I've been having a bunch of fun with Baral too. A lot of confused faces at the table the first time I cast Whim of Volrath.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It and Mystic Speculation are just extremely cheap buy-back spells for all of the "When you cast an instant or sorcery..." effects. Baral gets both of them down to 2 mana, so you're just looking for a Cloud Key or Sapphire Medallion to reach Maximum Cheap. Metallurgic Summonings-esque effects, Lab Maniac, and Guile stealing their threats, are pretty much the kill conditions I went with for the deck.

RQB

Mr. Poopybutthole
It and Mystic Speculation are just extremely cheap buy-back spells for all of the "When you cast an instant or sorcery..." effects. Baral gets both of them down to 2 mana, so you're just looking for a Cloud Key or Sapphire Medallion to reach Maximum Cheap. Metallurgic Summonings-esque effects, Lab Maniac, and Guile stealing their threats, are pretty much the kill conditions I went with for the deck.

Definitely going to throw whim in there. That's really good for the people who play control enchantments, swords. etc

I run medallion and jaces sanctum to get things cheaper.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Also, when you keep Whim'ing an opponent's Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth during their upkeep to disable Cabal Coffers, they get salty :D

RQB

Mr. Poopybutthole
Also, when you keep Whim'ing an opponent's Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth during their upkeep to disable Cabal Coffers, they get salty :D

There is one guy that runs that all your lands are swamps but now they only tap for black as well. Whim might help.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Had a pretty fun night last night. Took my 6 mono-color decks out, got to play 5 of em. Got to test out my Yahenni and Sram decks. Jesus christ Sram feels amazing, drawing all dem cards. Mostly the same weakness as any voltron commander, although I got off to a super slow voltron start and mostly looked like a control deck, dropping Arrests and its ilk while drawing cards off Sram and Mesa Enchantress. Yahenni was good, as expected of a free sac outlet that's always available. That, and all she has to do is survive one board wipe and she starts one-or-two-shotting folks. Corpse Dance abuse was rampant.

Homura, Human Ascendant deck got kinda dogpiled and murdered, because apparently a dozen 3/3 Flying Firebreathing goblins is considered a threat :D

Multani Maro-Sorceror was fun, brought him into play with everyone on 7 cards, so I shoved him in a Greater Good to draw half my deck. Game could have spiraled out of control from there, but I had a blue player sitting to my left countering everything I did, since I taunted him about his PUNY AND PATHETIC HANDSIZE, so I was only able to pull off some mildly silly things, and a third player actually won.

Final game of the night went nearly 2.5 hours with me playing Baral and not really doing much due to a turn 2 Aura Shards meaning none of my nonland permanents would actually stay in play if I played them and having difficulty drawing any of my non-creature bounce. At one point during the game, 3 out of 5 players had a "Your opponents can't cast spells during your turn" effect in play, so I was largely ignored since people assumed the Baral deck was just a heap of counterspells. Luckily, the player to my right didn't have one of those effects, and was getting beaten on pretty hard, so he decided to make a desperation move, Toxic Deluge'ing down to 1 life, then Repay in Kinding everyone down to 1 (with exactly the mana for that), hoping to untap next turn and play an extort critter+any spell to win since none of our decks had evidenced any haste-capability. I flash in a Teferi and a Vedalken Aethermage during his end step. Untap, swing to kill 2 players with untapped mana. Play Sphinx-Bone Wand main phase two and Whim of Volrath twice to kill the rest :D

Last edited:

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
Those planeswalker decks are fun, I think you are missing a great one though:

Image.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah, he spiked hard, and his decks got cleared out of anywhere they were lingering, when Atraxa got released. Superfriends is having a huge boom right now.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
New God spoiler makes me sad. Much underwhelming. At least the shitty invocation typeface makes her name look like Hazoret the Pervert, which is worth a chuckle.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user