MTG thread

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Playing a slightly tweaked version of Tom Ross' U/W heroic at an elite IQ tomorrow:

4 Favored Hoplite
2 Lagonna-band Trailblazer
4 Hero of Iroas
1 Battlewise Hoplite
2 Seeker of the Way
3 Heliod's Pilgrim
2 Fabled Hero

4 Defiant Strike
4 God's Willing
2 Feat of Resistance
1 Ajani's Presence
4 Ordeal of Thassa
1 Ordeal of Heliod
1 Aqueous Form
2 Stratus Walk
1 Singing bell strike

9 Plains
2 Island
4 Temple of Enlightenment
4 Flooded Strand
2 Tranquil Cove
1 Mana Confluence

sideboard:
3 Stubborn Denial
2 Ajani's Presence
2 Seeker of the WAy
1 Lagonna-Band Trailblazer
1 Triton Tactics
1 Erase
1 Heliod's Pilgrim
1 Aqueous Form
1 Singing Bell strike
2 Treasure Cruise
Expecting something like
20% G/b devotion/constellation variants,
30% Mardu midrange
25% Abzan midrange
10% Jeskai Heroic combo
15% other

and honestly, I don't feel afraid of any of those matches. The worst matchup I've found so far has been U/R ensoul artifact, since they are just super fast and I barely interact with them, can't even chump block to try and race.

Against most everything else, you often play it in a counter punch style. Play a heroic guy on turn 1, then always keep enough mana left to hold up a protection to keep it alive through removal if you can, buffing it with any other spare mana. If they try to kill it, it just gets bigger instead. Sure, you don't always have a god's willing or something, but then again they don't always have removal. Plus, with the cantrips and ordeals of thassa, and especially after siding, you have it more often then not.
Also, most people's sideboard plan against 'aggro decks' is anger of the gods or drown in sorrow, which look quite silly when you have a 3/4, or bigger, Favored hoplite on turn 3.
It's only against decks that have little to no removal, like jeskai heroic, sligh and other heroic decks that you just go balls out, dumping your hand as quickly as possible.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Above and Beyond is actually my home store. It's usually a pretty good group of guys there, about half competitive. They do draft on Tuesday, Standard on Wednesday, Modern on Thursday (which is their SCG game night), and FNM has standard and modern.

There's another store right beside them (I Want More Comics) that does Standard on Monday night. And there's several other shops around town, notably Game Heroes is probably the most competitive store in the area and they do Legacy on Tuesday nights now. Black Gold down in Littleton does Modern on Tuesday I think. Basically, there's a ton of options for playing in Denver.

I'm in NJ right now for the GP and will be traveling for work through Wednesday of next week, but let me know if you plan on playing some standard on Wednesday night and I'll try to be there. Feel free to ask any questions in the meantime.
Sweet, I'll have to stop in. I'm in Denver for the week. Might make it up there Wed or Thurs.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I went 4-0 at FNM pretending to be Mist.

Signals were impossible to read, drafted the best card in each pack, and given the mana bases of my four opponents I think maybe I had actually all of the fixing.

rrr_img_82335.jpg

Was pretty sure I was fucked the entire draft but when I look at it now in MTGO format the only card that I don't think is good is the Cancel. I could have played a bad morph or a 2/1 for 2 in its place I guess? Cancel didn't under perform or anything but it's the standout mediocre card of the deck.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'd give that deck like 6 out of 10 mists.

There's no such thing as a bad morph when you have secret plans out. :p

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Fuck yes, above average Mists!

The morphs I had were Canyon Lurkers (bleh) or Krumar Bond-Kin so I guess the Bond-Kin? He's mostly alright. The funny thing about drafting 11 lands is how small your sideboard is. Mine was 9 cards and swamp.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
While the 5/3 is superior to the 5/2 (survives other morphs and most 1 or 2 drops), being a double off colored and 1 mana more to flip; even if you've snagged every fixer in the draft; makes it a tough sell.

With secret plans out, your Canyon Lurkers already survive the above situations.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Playing a slightly tweaked version of Tom Ross' U/W heroic at an elite IQ tomorrow:

4 Favored Hoplite
2 Lagonna-band Trailblazer
4 Hero of Iroas
1 Battlewise Hoplite
2 Seeker of the Way
3 Heliod's Pilgrim
2 Fabled Hero

4 Defiant Strike
4 God's Willing
2 Feat of Resistance
1 Ajani's Presence
4 Ordeal of Thassa
1 Ordeal of Heliod
1 Aqueous Form
2 Stratus Walk
1 Singing bell strike

9 Plains
2 Island
4 Temple of Enlightenment
4 Flooded Strand
2 Tranquil Cove
1 Mana Confluence

sideboard:
3 Stubborn Denial
2 Ajani's Presence
2 Seeker of the WAy
1 Lagonna-Band Trailblazer
1 Triton Tactics
1 Erase
1 Heliod's Pilgrim
1 Aqueous Form
1 Singing Bell strike
2 Treasure Cruise
Expecting something like
20% G/b devotion/constellation variants,
30% Mardu midrange
25% Abzan midrange
10% Jeskai Heroic combo
15% other

and honestly, I don't feel afraid of any of those matches. The worst matchup I've found so far has been U/R ensoul artifact, since they are just super fast and I barely interact with them, can't even chump block to try and race.

Against most everything else, you often play it in a counter punch style. Play a heroic guy on turn 1, then always keep enough mana left to hold up a protection to keep it alive through removal if you can, buffing it with any other spare mana. If they try to kill it, it just gets bigger instead. Sure, you don't always have a god's willing or something, but then again they don't always have removal. Plus, with the cantrips and ordeals of thassa, and especially after siding, you have it more often then not.
Also, most people's sideboard plan against 'aggro decks' is anger of the gods or drown in sorrow, which look quite silly when you have a 3/4, or bigger, Favored hoplite on turn 3.
It's only against decks that have little to no removal, like jeskai heroic, sligh and other heroic decks that you just go balls out, dumping your hand as quickly as possible.
I almost went to the same event but decided doing stuff around the property before our first snow today was more important : /. Now it's snowing and snow is fucking awful so wish I had gone. Would have been playing BW... not sure what the game plan really was as I played it for the first time at FNM. Also a factor in deciding not to go. Probably would have gone if I could have borrowed a friends Swiftspear deck. Big fan of playing three matches in 15min and having time to smoke.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I actually like Canyon Lurkers. People forget it exists, and it fucks up their combat math.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
Watching the GPNJ Legacy coverage. Some pimp ass decks I've seen today. Some guy had a super Miracles deck: all DCI foil fetches, all basics foil unghing, foil MM Brainstorms. And on and on. Oh, and since you play Volcanics those might as well be beta. Deck must have been up near $20k. For a legacy deck.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I almost went to the same event but decided doing stuff around the property before our first snow today was more important : /. Now it's snowing and snow is fucking awful so wish I had gone. Would have been playing BW... not sure what the game plan really was as I played it for the first time at FNM. Also a factor in deciding not to go. Probably would have gone if I could have borrowed a friends Swiftspear deck. Big fan of playing three matches in 15min and having time to smoke.
Welp.. I went 5-1 and then split in the top 4, since there were 4 invites. Was already qualified for the invitational, but now I got an extra $300 in my pocket, yay! Deck was great. Only loss was to a Jeskai Tempo deck, that I then beat in first round of top 8, but very close both times.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Almost got my Standard mono red deck done. Will be exciting to finally be able to play.

Would it be a good idea to try to get a play set of each of the fetch lands? Or should I invest my monies elsewhere?

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
The fetches are fine to invest in. They might go a little lower in the coming months, but that's about the bottom for them if they do. You'll need them to play standard for the next year anyways, they are always good trade bait and long term they are a pretty sure bet.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
A general rule of thumb for MTG: buy real estate. Having a set of whatever the land cycle is in a given set will rarely be incorrect.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I plan on playing modern. Would they be a good investment for that format as well? I'm trying to get them now, because a lot of people seem to be speculating that they're going to rise in price.

By the way, Tom Ross is sort of a local player. Never met him, but I've been to the shop he played at (Rocket's Hideout). Kind of interesting.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I plan on playing modern. Would they be a good investment for that format as well? I'm trying to get them now, because a lot of people seem to be speculating that they're going to rise in price.

By the way, Tom Ross is sort of a local player. Never met him, but I've been to the shop he played at (Rocket's Hideout). Kind of interesting.
Absolutely. Get a set of all the fetches if you can.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This isn't the absolute lowest point to buy in on fetches, but if you're going to play them, waiting isn't worth it to save 2-3 bucks each.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider

Well, if you see him again, tell him a guy you don't know on an internet message board thanks him for the u/w heroic list.
smile.png
j/k
I actually know a couple people that are friends with him.

on friday i was one of 4 people drafting from my buddy's cube.

im just getting back into MTG and it's amazing having his $2-3,000 collection to draft from.