MTG thread

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Rotations are always in October (specifically, when the large fall set releases). You've got 9 months or so for everything currently in Standard to be legal. At rotation, Theros block (Theros, Born of the Gods, and Journey Into Nyx) will rotate out. The one minor hiccup is that Khans is the last 3 set block, after which they're swapping rotations around to have 2 blocks of 2 sets per year and doing away with the summer core set release (the summer 2015 core set will be the last one).

Khans is far and away a more impactful block than Theros, so most of the cards you'll want to buy probably come from it anyway. Theros was underwhelming overall, especially coming off Return to Ravnica.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Rotations are always in October (specifically, when the large fall set releases). You've got 9 months or so for everything currently in Standard to be legal. At rotation, Theros block (Theros, Born of the Gods, and Journey Into Nyx) will rotate out. The one minor hiccup is that Khans is the last 3 set block, after which they're swapping rotations around to have 2 blocks of 2 sets per year and doing away with the summer core set release (the summer 2015 core set will be the last one).

Khans is far and away a more impactful block than Theros, so most of the cards you'll want to buy probably come from it anyway. Theros was underwhelming overall, especially coming off Return to Ravnica.
Good man, Thanks.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Whisperwood Elemental seems to be moving upwards quickly. It's too early to say if that's legit or not, but I am tempted to preorder a set locally since my LGS still has them for $6. Every copy on TCG is $11+.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm thinking I might actually try and build a Jeskai commander deck after the block is fully released. Unsure if that would scratch the itch or spread the rash but it sounds reasonable from here

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
So I just went through some of my magic "trash" i didn't bother selling and I have 5 Vindilion cliques and a pair of Kiki Jijis and apparently they are like 70 and 30 respectively. This is of course starcity juice prices.

Is modern really that popular that old $5 cards are now worth $70?

Edit: haha out shit I have a playset of Foil Remands too.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Vendilion Clique is one of the best blue disruption cards of all time. It's strong enough to see Legacy play, and that price is after seeing a reprint at mythic in Modern Masters. Yeah, it's a damn good card to have.

Keep digging. If you have any really old stuff, you might have Wastelands or Karakas sitting around that weren't worth very much at all back when you quit. Karakas is $150, and it used to be a couple of bucks.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
So I just went through some of my magic "trash" i didn't bother selling and I have 5 Vindilion cliques and a pair of Kiki Jijis and apparently they are like 70 and 30 respectively. This is of course starcity juice prices.

Is modern really that popular that old $5 cards are now worth $70?

Edit: haha out shit I have a playset of Foil Remands too.
Old cards that are in some of the most played modern decks, yes.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Look for Fulminator Mages also, and unload those as fast as you can. They're a Shadowmoor rare that is $30 more or less out of scarcity alone, but is very likely to see a summer reprint and will crater if it does.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Maybe hold onto those Kikis for a month. Twin is likely to be "a thing" again post bans. He's already been printed in Modern Masters/FTV before, so I don't think we're getting another reprint of him soon.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Also printed in FTV legends right? Definitely not due for another reprint.

Cliques are also down atm, as Modern was too fast for them for the past 5 months.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think Whisperwood is real. In Mono-G Devotion he's another nice card with GG in the cost. Adds Ugin-immune bodies and can turn your army of mana dorks into something after a sweeper hits.

Also, I tried the Temur Sabretooth and he was giving some nice value bouncing Reclamation Sage vs Sultai Reanimator. Trying to find the right number of Genesis Hydra now. I feel like 3 is too many, but 2 isn't enough.
frown.png

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Maybe hold onto those Kikis for a month. Twin is likely to be "a thing" again post bans. He's already been printed in Modern Masters/FTV before, so I don't think we're getting another reprint of him soon.
Found my old tooth and Nail deck found 4x foil E.witness 1.x Foil Kiki 1X Foil Sundering titan 1x Foil DSC and some foil forests.

Xalara

Golden Squire
In my testing mono-green devotion has big issues with tokens decks. It is weird to say, but the tokens decks go bigger and wider due to Monastery Mentor. That said, tokens has its own issues.

Despite my last post saying I was going to be playing R/G I am actually going to be playing red devotion splash white for sideboard cards this weekend. It is a very similar deck to R/G but has much better inevitability against decks that don't interact due to Nykthos powered claws and/or Fanatic of Mogis. With R/G I have to attack to win the game, with red devotion I don't have to. The fun part is that main deck Eidolon of the Great Revel also happens to put the screws to control decks and U/W heroic.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Fate Reforged cards shitting it up on camera so far, at SCGLive. Monastery Mentor has been good... 1 out of 3 times so far. Grey Ogre the other two times.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Our local rules are buy 10 boosters - this time 7 new and 3 from the last. Only extra cards allowed are basic mana and up to 4 transguild promenade. We make decks of 60 cards and play with these for a few months, then new cards, usually when there's a new exp. Do you guys know of a decent deckmaker with card input to match this?

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Standard top 8 from this weekend looks interesting and uses some new tech. FRF definitely had a showing in those lists.

Modern, on the other hand, was basically just the exact top 8 from a year ago. The only cards in the top 8 from post-Theros (*Theros*, not Khans) were fetches, Tasigur, and Siege Rhino, and a few Swan Songs out of the sideboard.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Tasigur was amazing every time Gerard played it - especially since he could remove cards from his graveyard with Dig and force his opponent to give him only good cards.

I think he got back the same Murderous Cut like 3 times in one game because the only other option for his opponent was Ugin.