MTG thread

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Anyone coming out to the PPTQ in Mountain Home, AR next Sunday? Its at my "LGS" and I'm still deciding if I'll bother. Need to figure out what to play. Still waiting on some folks to get down for the draft to see who I can snag cards from to build one of the 0-X ideas I've got kicking around. One of our guys split top 4 with RG monsters last weekend in Fayetteville but mehhh I'm not a huge fan.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
You mean Forest? I beat him in the first round, then played my worst matchup twice (control), losing both and dropped. Then I hear from my friend Pete that he was in the finals against him, heh. I wasn't that prepared for the tournament, honestly, didn't expect much.

I probably won't be over there since a bunch of us are going up to Kansas City for the Starcity Regionals on Friday/Saturday. I think we are coming back Saturday night, but I have a feeling I'll be too tired to make it out Sunday. I believe Mike is judging it, he was plugging it on facebook.

Anyway, I doubt I'll be there, but depending how things go in Kansas City I might make it out.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Did a farewell to KTKx3 on MTGO:

dC33KbX.jpg

Was an easy 8 packs. :p

Taloo_sl

shitlord
You mean Forest? I beat him in the first round, then played my worst matchup twice (control), losing both and dropped. Then I hear from my friend Pete that he was in the finals against him, heh. I wasn't that prepared for the tournament, honestly, didn't expect much.

I probably won't be over there since a bunch of us are going up to Kansas City for the Starcity Regionals on Friday/Saturday. I think we are coming back Saturday night, but I have a feeling I'll be too tired to make it out Sunday. I believe Mike is judging it, he was plugging it on facebook.

Anyway, I doubt I'll be there, but depending how things go in Kansas City I might make it out.
Nah John. Finals was the two guys from top four who cared about the invite.

Yeah its a bit of a drive and registration is starting at 11am. Be cool if you made it down though. I almost went to metagames last PTQ with Mike Saturday but didn't have anywhere to crash in town and fuck me if I was going to drive an hour and a half home to turn around and come back to meet them to ride up after just two hours sleep.

So tired of living in the boonies. Probably driving down Saturday to have a few drinks and build a deck and crashing in town at a friends before the tourney.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
If none of the 4 people in my car make top 8, I'm leaning towards coming to the PPTQ. All depends what time we leave Kansas. If I'm home by midnight, I'm gonna try to make it.

Btw: Mike is a one man wrecking crew for the judge staff here. I remember seeing him at an IQ awhile ago and him saying how he had just gotten registered for lvl1 recently, and was going to go for lvl2 and start making some changes in our area once he did. I distinctly remember thinking 'yea ok.. I've heard that before', but then 6 months later and he's certified like 5 different lvl 1 judges in our area and he's been making bigger tournaments happen since we don't have to pay Anthony Wood (the lvl 2 near little rock) to come up. I gotta give him props. I know he's going to GP Memphis to judge, hopefully he gets to go to some of these bigger events and eventually makes lvl 3 as a result. Dude deserves it.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I'm working hard at getting the experience for L2 myself. Not there yet, but I'm hoping I'll get it in 2015. I'd really love to rank up before GP Atlanta in November so I can staff that, but it's a long shot.

We're lucky to have a great set of local L2s and L3s, and a very active regional coordinator for the southeast. They're a good set of folks.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
If none of the 4 people in my car make top 8, I'm leaning towards coming to the PPTQ. All depends what time we leave Kansas. If I'm home by midnight, I'm gonna try to make it.

Btw: Mike is a one man wrecking crew for the judge staff here. I remember seeing him at an IQ awhile ago and him saying how he had just gotten registered for lvl1 recently, and was going to go for lvl2 and start making some changes in our area once he did. I distinctly remember thinking 'yea ok.. I've heard that before', but then 6 months later and he's certified like 5 different lvl 1 judges in our area and he's been making bigger tournaments happen since we don't have to pay Anthony Wood (the lvl 2 near little rock) to come up. I gotta give him props. I know he's going to GP Memphis to judge, hopefully he gets to go to some of these bigger events and eventually makes lvl 3 as a result. Dude deserves it.
Yeah he squeaked into level 2 just before the changes making it so much harder thankfully. He's really excited about Memphis. I think he's still got room for another person or two if you wanted to go to Memphis. $70 for gas and hotel isn't bad. Shit like that is the best part of having him around here haha. He's headed somewhere at least every other weekend and always looking for folks to kick in some gas money for a ride. Wish I had the time to take him up on it more often.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Yea, we talked about that. Thing is, he wants to leave at 6am on friday to play the legacy event, and I live like an hour or so from mountain home. I'd have to get up at 4am to make it, and that's when I'm normally going to sleep heh.
I have like 2-3 people over here that are still 'maybes' on going, they are waiting till after regionals this weekend to make a decision. I know at least 2 guys going, so I'll probably carpool with them. Pretty sure we'll get at least 4 people to split things.

Before him, there was basically one l2 in all of arkansas. Technically, there were 2, but the other guy has a job at the Sheriff's office and works a ton, so he rarely judges these days. Plus, both were near little rock, so there were no options if you wanted to run an event bigger then a small IQ or GPT other then working it out with Anthony and paying him to come up. It's gotten a few more people around here interested in tournament magic, which is great for me since I'm trying to push myself into making magic my job, both with the store and playing. Way more people to carpool with now
smile.png

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
A major moment for the Global Magic Community? Hiring actual programmers to work on MTGO?

Xalara

Golden Squire
It's not that WotC has trouble hiring programmers, it's that WotC won't pay enough to hire good ones. I live in Seattle and I have thought of working at WotC, but it isn't worth the pay cut, especially considering Seattle is not cheap to live in. I know a few guys who worked on MTGO and WotC has serious issues with internal politics. Plus, WotC won't even pay to move people across the country.

TLDR: In Seattle you can choose to make $120 000 a year at Amazon or go to WotC and deal with the same amount of crap but with a much smaller paycheck. Most people choose Amazon.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Yea, we talked about that. Thing is, he wants to leave at 6am on friday to play the legacy event, and I live like an hour or so from mountain home. I'd have to get up at 4am to make it, and that's when I'm normally going to sleep heh.
I have like 2-3 people over here that are still 'maybes' on going, they are waiting till after regionals this weekend to make a decision. I know at least 2 guys going, so I'll probably carpool with them. Pretty sure we'll get at least 4 people to split things.

Before him, there was basically one l2 in all of arkansas. Technically, there were 2, but the other guy has a job at the Sheriff's office and works a ton, so he rarely judges these days. Plus, both were near little rock, so there were no options if you wanted to run an event bigger then a small IQ or GPT other then working it out with Anthony and paying him to come up. It's gotten a few more people around here interested in tournament magic, which is great for me since I'm trying to push myself into making magic my job, both with the store and playing. Way more people to carpool with now
smile.png
We had 33 at the PTQ. I actually slept at the shop after staying up till 6am or so helping with the remodel last night. It wasn't ideal but was way way better than the oh Jesus how is this going to work impression I had when I got there to help. The 50in I mounted to the wall sans stud finder was still on the wall when I left though so I take that as a win.

Scrubbed out hard playing Sultai control. Too tired and too unfamiliar with the deck and matchups. Really liked the deck and it ran well but when you're so tired you sideboard 8 cards and add them right back by picking up the wrong pile... Even so I never got blown out and they were all close fun games. I'd like to run it again but I'm not sure I'm up to borrowing 65 of 75 cards from five different people again. It wasn't even built until I knocked off at around 6 and got the last few cards from someone else there helping and crashing.

It was the first time I played under rather than with Mike and I was damned impressed at his judging. I see where your praise was coming from. He had to do his first DQ at home of course haha. Turns out 5 mentors in a deck is a nono.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Yea, sorry I didn't make it, but I ended up making top 8 of the regionals and we stayed another day in Kansas City. My friend ended up convincing me to playing in a PPTQ that was going on at a shop there, but he went 0-2 drop and then I wasn't as interested in it and ended up going 2-2 and dropping as well.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Local went from 14th to 40th at the PT over the last few rounds. Entire facebook thread of people asking him to borrow about tree fiddy.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Yea, sorry I didn't make it, but I ended up making top 8 of the regionals and we stayed another day in Kansas City. My friend ended up convincing me to playing in a PPTQ that was going on at a shop there, but he went 0-2 drop and then I wasn't as interested in it and ended up going 2-2 and dropping as well.
No worries grats on the top 8. I was in no condition to socialize yesterday anyhow. I woke up shortly after registration started and staggered through all the out of town folks to hit the bathroom. Washed my face to wake up and I imagine my sleep afro and waterlogged beard made quite the first impression.

Next PPTQ we hold is going to be sealed and I'm really looking forward to that. Its a couple months out though.